What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please Don't sack Seibold

I'm not delusional, I never once thought Brisbane were exempt from being shit but truth be known a huge percentage of the fan base are quick to stop following when times become dire, they're probably all of a sudden watching the Lions who have become a top 4 side in the AFL.

Nothing tilts me more, it's like people who grow up watching Soccer automatically find themselves supporting a club like Man United or Barcelona, despite having no ties to them what so ever. They just support the team that won the most as they were growing up and obviously when the winning stops, so does their loyalty to the club as a fan. I hate that and I can understand why people would think Brisbane fans are entitled.
That's why Storm have so many fans in Brisbane. They're always on top. When they eventually slide down the ladder they will become no more popular up here than the Raiders.

Dingo_dan

Juniors
Turpin was ahead and we had a back up in Paix (although he is originally a half). Keep in mind that Macca has been in a decline over the past few seasons, and Turpin really showed him up for speed and impact.

Having said that, Macca is going pretty well for the Knights and everything he does is alot faster somehow. And I can't say it's playing behind a performing forward pack as Brisbane's pack dominated in metres last season.

This is part of the problem.

'A forward pack that dominated metres'

Broncos pack has been dominated in the ruck for years. Metres mean sweet FA if they are followed by slow play the balls. The broncos forward pack is talked up massively but they are so soft. Some players have good stat lines, and guys like Fifita and TPJ can put on a barn storming performance once in a while, but as a pack in whole they are one of the worst in the comp.

So when this 'amazing' forward pack has continued to fail for years, well its gotta be McCullough's fault. He is so slow. Doesn't matter that Lodge and Payne haas have slow play the balls because bumping up their own Post Contact metres stats are more important and who gives a f**k about the guy taking the next hit up againt a well set and rested defensive line.

Put McCullough in a pack that plays like a pack, Guys like the Saifiti twins, Barnett and Fitzgibbon. Guys that were born into a 1 win a year a team and survived by getting hard, so now that they are having success they work hard and together. Chuck into that team some ultimate professionals like Klemmer, Glasby, Ese ese and even Guerra and of course you've got an environment where McCullough can play his part and look good.

Frailty

First Grade
This is part of the problem.

'A forward pack that dominated metres'

Broncos pack has been dominated in the ruck for years. Metres mean sweet FA if they are followed by slow play the balls. The broncos forward pack is talked up massively but they are so soft. Some players have good stat lines, and guys like Fifita and TPJ can put on a barn storming performance once in a while, but as a pack in whole they are one of the worst in the comp.

So when this 'amazing' forward pack has continued to fail for years, well its gotta be McCullough's fault. He is so slow. Doesn't matter that Lodge and Payne haas have slow play the balls because bumping up their own Post Contact metres stats are more important and who gives a f**k about the guy taking the next hit up againt a well set and rested defensive line.

Put McCullough in a pack that plays like a pack, Guys like the Saifiti twins, Barnett and Fitzgibbon. Guys that were born into a 1 win a year a team and survived by getting hard, so now that they are having success they work hard and together. Chuck into that team some ultimate professionals like Klemmer, Glasby, Ese ese and even Guerra and of course you've got an environment where McCullough can play his part and look good.

Funnily enough, the Broncos have had faster play the ball speeds than their opposition in all but 2 games. Those two games have been in the last three weeks.

They definitely have issues with the forwards. Haas is absolutely incredible, and looks fantastic early in games. But when he is getting close to 80 minutes every game, he wears done and effectiveness is absolutely minimised.

TPJ stays out on the edge, and the ball rarely goes to him for the amount of damage he can do.

Mr Spock!

Referee
0cc791fa49821b50693722be1e7b2582

dogslife

Coach
That's some top tier marketing from the Broncs.

Doesn't say where or in what capacity. Doesn't even specify if it'll be in this dimension. Seibs could be winning a premiership right this second in another dimension!

big hit!

Bench
I think they should give Seibold a chance. I don't like the philosophy of turfing coaches without giving them a chance to turn it around. He was obviously impressive enough for them to hire him in the way they did. They need to own their decision and stand by him.

It's a cutthroat business unfortunately.

I'm not at all comparing Seibold to a guy like Alex Ferguson at Man Utd, but there was a big push to have Sir Alex sacked in his first couple of seasons due to lack of results. He managed to convince the powers that be that he was building for future success, not quick short-term results. Rest is history.

In saying that, I think Seibold has come into the club with the long-term in mind which the Broncos powers have bought into. I just don't think they and the coaching staff themselves believed that the short-term was going to be so horrific. Going from someone like Bennett who simplifies the game greatly to Seibold who is implementing processes fairly novel in rugby league probably doesn't help the players. In fact, it's a great argument of how his system is not a development system, but rather one for established athletes as evidenced by the Souths and Brisbane experiences.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I'm not at all comparing Seibold to a guy like Alex Ferguson at Man Utd, but there was a big push to have Sir Alex sacked in his first couple of seasons due to lack of results. He managed to convince the powers that be that he was building for future success, not quick short-term results. Rest is history.

In saying that, I think Seibold has come into the club with the long-term in mind which the Broncos powers have bought into. I just don't think they and the coaching staff themselves believed that the short-term was going to be so horrific. Going from someone like Bennett who simplifies the game greatly to Seibold who is implementing processes fairly novel in rugby league probably doesn't help the players. In fact, it's a great argument of how his system is not a development system, but rather one for established athletes as evidenced by the Souths and Brisbane experiences.

You make your game plan what the players are comfortable playing and then add onto it as they learn more. Really they are excuses. If the team needs a simple game plan, I'm sure he is more than capable of putting one together. If he feels a more complicated one is required, and it's not working, it's still on him.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors

Seibold, to me, is like what happens when you make somebody off a footy forum become head coach. Before you know it, half the team are playing out of position, rookies are thrown in way too early, and experienced heads are pushed out the door until you realise that was a mistake, and then you desperately try find a few veterans to slide in. Then as the team loses, excuses are made that it was a mess before one got here.

I have no doubt in my mind that Bennett left Seibold with a mess (even though Bennett would like to pretend Seibold got a star team of 15 or so representative players). But Seibold has made it ten times worse in a shorter amount of time, so he can only blame Bennett and others so much.

Seibold is just a footy forum dude masquerading as an NRL coach. I can only say well done to him because he has set himself up for life with this current contract, and will never go without a few Pies for dinner again.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I'm not a Broncos fan but I can respect that they are the biggest Rugby League club in the world and I can respect that they are the standard and size of RL club that all others should be aiming at. It is not good for the game's attendance averages, TV ratings to have them struggling like this, especially at a time when the Lions are flying. In fact, it makes the game a hell of a lot smaller that Brisbane, North QLD, Gold Coast, Warriors and the Bulldogs are holding up the bottom of the ladder.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
I'm not a Broncos fan but I can respect that they are the biggest Rugby League club in the world and I can respect that they are the standard and size of RL club that all others should be aiming at. It is not good for the game's attendance averages, TV ratings to have them struggling like this, especially at a time when the Lions are flying. In fact, it makes the game a hell of a lot smaller that Brisbane, North QLD, Gold Coast, Warriors and the Bulldogs are holding up the bottom of the ladder.

To quote Tallis "they made their bed".

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
Their middle defense fell off a cliff when they let Josh McGuire go. They miss him the most.

I think they are missing a bit of mongrel and energy that McGuire provides, but watch him at the Cowboys where he is taking a few too many 3rd and 4th tackle settlers. There is a time and a place to take a settler if it enables the backline to be set up to score points (or the halves to kick a field goal), but if not, it can be a real waste in front of the try line.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
To quote Tallis "they made their bed".

I'm not arguing that they didn't, it is not good for the game though to have them (and I'll throw the Bulldogs in there too as two of the biggest NRL fan bases) at the bottom of the ladder and not even close to the pace of the comp.