What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim Lafai to the Sharks?

redv13

Bench
He was on decent money too.
We must have some serious coin in the kitty for recruitment now next year?
JDB, Frizz, Graham, Lafai, likely Aitken all off the books.
Let's go shopping!
Don’t be surprised if Aitken is resigned

Simon

Juniors
I'm sure if he put his mind to it, our new CEO may very well work a deal with the NRL where Flanagan is allowed to be appointed to the head coach position a year early but must remain on his current salary for season 2021.

It is a compromise that a CEO should be able to strike.

Got to be honest Possm, from reading your posts all compromises come up Dragons. I love your optimism but no one is getting this deal, nor star players signing for way less, or Dragons players willingly sacrificing their contracts for the good of the club.

If our CEO, McGregor or Milward could do what you wanted they wouldn't be at our club. They'd be earning an absolute matza at a big global company.

possm

Coach
Got to be honest Possm, from reading your posts all compromises come up Dragons. I love your optimism but no one is getting this deal, nor star players signing for way less, or Dragons players willingly sacrificing their contracts for the good of the club.

If our CEO, McGregor or Milward could do what you wanted they wouldn't be at our club. They'd be earning an absolute matza at a big global company.
My point is that the punishment can relate to the continuation of an assistant's salary but his duties reflect those of a 'group leader' among the coaching assistants until his ban is up. We don't need Mary and we already have Flanagan.

possm

Coach
Aitken still can't deliver a good pass or set up his winger, two prime roles of a center. His mistakes in reading the opposition defence and finds it difficult to take a high ball. Yes he is running harder and defending more forcefully and probably playing to his best at the moment (contract time). I'd rather let him go as I believe even Williame is a better centre.

Dragsters

First Grade
Aitken still can't deliver a good pass or set up his winger, two prime roles of a center. His mistakes in reading the opposition defence and finds it difficult to take a high ball. Yes he is running harder and defending more forcefully and probably playing to his best at the moment (contract time). I'd rather let him go as I believe even Williame is a better centre.

Aitken is a very one-dimensional player.

Effort in a contract year is his one dimension...

redv13

Bench
If Aitken plays to a decent level on the year he is off contract then keep signing him to 1 year contracts. Problem solved!! I’m not a huge fan of his but since his move to the left and some little coaching tweaks ( Flanno doing everything) I think Euan has been pretty decent to be honest.

The calm one

Juniors
If Aitken plays to a decent level on the year he is off contract then keep signing him to 1 year contracts. Problem solved!! I’m not a huge fan of his but since his move to the left and some little coaching tweaks ( Flanno doing everything) I think Euan has been pretty decent to be honest.
He won't sign a 1 year contract. His manager won't let him

SBD82

Coach
@Crush

Remiss of me not to check in on you mate, after hearing that your favourite player is leaving the club.

Just hope you’re ok after hearing the news.

possm

Coach
@Crush

Remiss of me not to check in on you mate, after hearing that your favourite player is leaving the club.

Just hope you’re ok after hearing the news.
I'm glad to see the back of Lafai and I hope Aitken as well. I would put the extension of these two centres as the biggest of many mistakes made by Millward.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I'm glad to see the back of Lafai and I hope Aitken as well. I would put the extension of these two centres as the biggest of many mistakes made by Millward.
So a bigger mistake than not re-signing Brett Morris?

possm

Coach
So a bigger mistake than not re-signing Brett Morris?
Doust and Mary were the ones that made that decision. As usual it was all about the money. I think Mary claimed the salary cap at the time was out of balance with more money spent on the backs than forwards. Morris was promised about 600k and Mary only wanted to pay him 400k.

We had Nightingale, Cooper, Hornby, and Morris at the time. I'm sure a package deal for both Morris's would have solved the issue.

Mjab

Juniors
Glad to be rid of Lafai
actually cant remember a single game where he dominated and won us a game
thought he looked Ok at dogs but not here

hopefully rid of Aitken (please)

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Doust and Mary were the ones that made that decision. As usual it was all about the money. I think Mary claimed the salary cap at the time was out of balance with more money spent on the backs than forwards. Morris was promised about 600k and Mary only wanted to pay him 400k.

We had Nightingale, Cooper, Hornby, and Morris at the time. I'm sure a package deal for both Morris's would have solved the issue.
Oooookay...

Anyway, back to the original question, would you place not bringing Brett back to the club as a lesser screw up than resigning Lafai & Aitken?

Belta

Juniors
Its kind of a gamble with Aitken. If you can get Aitken at a reasonable price than I think id be ok. But preferably we cut him loose and develop one of the up and coming prospects. The positives of Aitken is that he seems suited to the new rules. The faster pace seems to favour a lot of one out running. It to allow our backs to gain momentum with one out runs. This results in us getting into good field positions. I noticed when you get Rav charge in, quick play, JP charge up quick play, Aitken same we really roll up the field. Whether thats negated by the stronger sides will be seen. I’d say Aitken is currently one of the stronger ball runners.

The negatives are the club are unable to turn Aitken into a complete centre and won’t move him anywhere else. Aitken might even excel at another club. There were several examples of Aitken showing his strengths and his weaknesses against the doggies. The one that stuck in my mind was when the dogs were back pedalling big time, the ball shifted out to Aitken, Saab unmarked outside his winger, Aitken as usual doesn’t even look or appear to be aware and tucks the ball under his arm changes at the line and pulled down short. At that stage we were up 10 nil and had all the momentum. A stock standard pass to Saab and we goes three tries up and probably put a big score on. Another point to consider when we see the efforts of Aitken is his contract position, the effort may ebb if he is resigned early.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Aitken is a very one-dimensional player.

Effort in a contract year is his one dimension...
I will say I have never doubted his effort. He always puts in, I just can’t get over his inability to pass. In my opinion it’s an unforgivable sin. His defensive reads are getting better but with his power I really thought he’d end up as Matt Cooper mark ii by now. Whacking blokes, and drawing defenders in with his power and speed and setting up his wingers.
I believe his defence could get a good level yet but not so sure about the pass. If he added that one weapon I would be more than happy to resign him. Without it I’d go with Wiliame or Feagai for sure.

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
Too many years of lazy turnstile defensive efforts for me to trust that this current spate of effort will continue if re-signed.

It's a no from me...

Hey Dragsters, I agree with your position, however given that Flanno is having a greater say, he may be able to take Aitken to the next level. I have seen him pass to setup a try - so he can do it.

Also, with a coach (Flanno) that will drop him if he doesn't perform and the Feagai brothers at he's heals, I think a 1 year contract with a clear message to perform or else, will be worth the risk.

gitano

Juniors
Just lol at some of the commentary on here.

Euie is one of the premier centres in the league. Period.

He will excel, and represent, whether he continues to wear our colours or not is his call.

Latest posts