What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

84 Baby

Referee
Yeah, they also mentioned Morris was signed for around 275k, former international and probably the form winger of the nrl atm. I can let some dodgey issues slip thru but it just keeps happening again and again
How much would you have signed either Morris for? He’s a FORMER international, it’s not like they got Tedesco at 275k

Gronk

Staff member
They have ten internationals/former internationals in their starting side this week. I can see how they’d still have a lazy 300k lying around.
Rothfield is constantly defending the chooks. Benchmark in cap management apparently.

jk13

First Grade
How much would you have signed either Morris for? He’s a FORMER international, it’s not like they got Tedesco at 275k
More the question, what’s his worth to the nrl. Seems funny how they stick their nose in some acquisitions but never in others

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah, they also mentioned Morris was signed for around 275k, former international and probably the form winger of the nrl atm. I can let some dodgey issues slip thru but it just keeps happening again and again
Neither Morris was worth much when the Chooks signed them.

TheRam

Coach
So market value, just like us signing Izzy Folau...

Also what about market value with David Fifita? Broncos offering $700K when other teams are offering between $1m-1.25m?

Are the NRL seriously going to accept that offer from the Broncos if it comes over to them to approve? I can't believe how there hasn't been any real stink about this in the media or the fans. So when it goes over to the NRL for approval, they will have no pressure on them to do the right thing and will simply approve it.

The salary cap has really become an absolute joke.

TheRam

Coach
It is still a legit loophole.
Teams can make the top 5 with a side 200k under cap and then poach a guy who is worth 1 million for the last month and the final series. Jai Arrow would be a great example. Would the NRL see an issue if we snapped him up in rnd 20? He wont be at the Titans anyhows in 2021. So they could release him and save 150k and we have an 800k player on our bench.

Huge loop hole. Titans did it with Hayne. Saints the same with Gasnier.
If we are smart we would keep 200k up sleeve in cap or release someone taking up a spot that wont use like perhaps Terepo and look at a rnd 18 signing ourself

As soon as I heard about Sony, I instantly got a Semi.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Also what about market value with David Fifita? Broncos offering $700K when other teams are offering between $1m-1.25m?

Are the NRL seriously going to accept that offer from the Broncos if it comes over to them to approve? I can't believe how there hasn't been any real stink about this in the media or the fans. So when it goes over to the NRL for approval, they will have no pressure on them to do the right thing and will simply approve it.

The salary cap has really become an absolute joke.

since Shooey left so did the principal of signing players based on their value, just doesn't seem to be an issue now days

TheRam

Coach
since Shooey left so did the principal of signing players based on their value, just doesn't seem to be an issue now days

Well it should be or else we are going down the path of an obvious rort. I mean, $700k v $1.25m? Come on even if that were true, a 19 year old kid and his inexperienced/naive mother should be saved from themselves by the NRL and they should step in and show some leadership and point them in the direction of their best interest.

The Broncos both on and off the field are a basket case and will be for a while yet, So no one could really mount an argument that staying there would be in the long term best interest for his development overall.

In fact for his overall future, taking an offer as lucrative as the Titans one is the smartest thing a young man in his position could do. He has already had an injury that has seen him miss virtually two thirds of the season. What if he gets another and another. His value starts to decline rapidly. Look at Tommy T going through it right now. Or heaven forbid he gets a career ending injury. It happens. Are the Broncos going to give him the millions then?

I have said it before, the Broncos should be ashamed of themselves for expecting anyone to take such and inferior contract to the others that are being offered and to put pressure on him to boot with team mates and their staff pleading with him to stay. They should have simply conceded once they saw the massive difference in value and since they can't reasonably compete given their blessing.

But they are a News Ltd entity so no real surprise there. They only know the heartless business model way of things. That is partially why it is so brilliant to watch them implode like this.

84 Baby

Referee
Well it should be or else we are going down the path of an obvious rort. I mean, $700k v $1.25m? Come on even if that were true, a 19 year old kid and his inexperienced/naive mother should be saved from themselves by the NRL and they should step in and show some leadership and point them in the direction of their best interest.

The Broncos both on and off the field are a basket case and will be for a while yet, So no one could really mount an argument that staying there would be in the long term best interest for his development overall.

In fact for his overall future, taking an offer as lucrative as the Titans one is the smartest thing a young man in his position could do. He has already had an injury that has seen him miss virtually two thirds of the season. What if he gets another and another. His value starts to decline rapidly. Look at Tommy T going through it right now. Or heaven forbid he gets a career ending injury. It happens. Are the Broncos going to give him the millions then?

I have said it before, the Broncos should be ashamed of themselves for expecting anyone to take such and inferior contract to the others that are being offered and to put pressure on him to boot with team mates and their staff pleading with him to stay. They should have simply conceded once they saw the massive difference in value and since they can't reasonably compete given their blessing.

But they are a News Ltd entity so no real surprise there. They only know the heartless business model way of things. That is partially why it is so brilliant to watch them implode like this.
All it can do is raise a red flag for NRL, they can’t dictate to players/clubs how much they should be paid within the agreed parameters with the RLPA.
Yeah we had the Folau situation, but is anyone still seriously hung up about that?

hindy111

Post Whore
they let Cronk and Latrell go and got 2 X Morris, no doubt they have upgraded/retained a few but its not to hard to understand that they my have a few dollars under the cap

$BW is only playing 6 games so should cos f**k all

Flanagan was another signing.
There would of been quite a few players who had huge upgrades.
Anyhows the cap is beside point. Canbera wasnt allowed to have Ropana play rugby for half a year and then return to the Raiders around rnd 12. It was seen as a loophole. I'd argue it's very simmilar.

hindy111

Post Whore
Neither Morris was worth much when the Chooks signed them.

250k.....

But Cordner,Crighton,Keary,Teddy,JWH are all over 750k players.
Manu,Radley, takehako all large upgrades. But yes they fill the squad with average players also. I dont see why they wouldnt be under cap. Different if added Cronk and Latrell to the 17.

But the point is we could tell a player like MJ if they felt like a holiday and only play half a season go relax .We will sign you for last 8 weeks for 1/3 of price.

hindy111

Post Whore
On Fifita part of me think the Titan contract is just to expose the Broncos knowing he isnt going to take it.

250k.....

But Cordner,Crighton,Keary,Teddy,JWH are all over 750k players.
Manu,Radley, takehako all large upgrades. But yes they fill the squad with average players also. I dont see why they wouldnt be under cap. Different if added Cronk and Latrell to the 17.

But the point is we could tell a player like MJ if they felt like a holiday and only play half a season go relax .We will sign you for last 8 weeks for 1/3 of price.
I doubt many players would like to earn a third of what they're worth. And what sort of shape would they be in if they miss all of preseason and most of the season?

hindy111

Post Whore
Why wasn't Ropana allowed to playa super 15 or Japanese rugby or whatever it was and return to Canberra mid season? It was ruled out by NRL.
I am confused.