What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Asu Kepaoa

The Rosco

Bench
Roosters set to open roster spot for potential SBW return
Author
Dan Walsh

The Roosters are set to free up a top 30 roster spot that could accommodate Sonny Bill Williams with uncapped outside back Asu Kepaoa likely to join Wests Tigers on a mid-season transfer.

Williams is expected to make a call on another potential Roosters comeback in the coming days with officials working through logistical hurdles with Williams’s advisor, Khoder Nasser.

No official comment has been made by the Tigers or Roosters on Kepaoa, but it is understood he will link with the joint-venture club over the weekend.

The youngster’s looming move would leave one free spot in the Roosters’ top 30, which Williams could fill before the August 3 signings deadline.

However, the largest hurdle for Williams rejoining the Roosters is still to be cleared, with the NRL not permitting any player to be signed to a club while still contracted to another sporting competition.

Williams inked a $10 million, two-year Toronto Wolfpack deal over the summer, with negotiations around his contract status with the Canadian club, the Roosters and NRL ongoing.

The talk on the other forum is that he's signed now to be in the top 30.
He's fairly tall, good ball skills, strong runner, and has some pace.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
Don’t know anything about him but having watched a 2 min nsw cup highlight reel he looks a tall outside back who moves well and can play center/wing/fullback

We desperately need some depth in the backs so glad that’s been rectified

I like that our recent recruits have come from strong teams. Good systems and guys that are used to winning

He's fairly tall, good ball skills, strong runner, and has some pace
what, and the Tigers are signing him? that's a WOW..

So no chance of getting JAC or Johnston (straight swap there).

What I'd like to see now is the Tigers show some good will towards the Warriors and offer up 4 or 5 who do not fit into Madge's plans and see if they (the Warriors) could use them.

Tiger05

First Grade
Apparently he was a star in the kiwi junior teams.
The roosters only sign the cream of the junior crop.
Have only seen youtube highlights of him playing for the bears . . . . he ticks a few boxes for us for sure.

I tell you what I found interesting. The Tigers were stated as having signed him for next year and just wanted him released earlier. We seem to be targeting good buys now. I think that this may be Madge's influence.

Tigerm

First Grade

What I'd like to see now is the Tigers show some good will towards the Warriors and offer up 4 or 5 who do not fit into Madge's plans and see if they (the Warriors) could use them.
What, you want to give MM now.....OK:)

WA Tiger

Bench
judging by his timeline Hartigan would have signed him to the Roosters, he wouldn’t have brought him over if he was a dud. Still only 20
Woops just seems 05’s post above..The deal got canned before SBW came into frame coz we wanted him this year..could speak volumes..

Perth Tiger

Bench
If we have signed Kepaoa then it really seems that we have wasted 2 top 30 spots on Bradley and Cini if they have fallen that far in the pecking order

Tigerm

First Grade
https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/new...epaoa-from-roosters/ar-BB17bP4F?ocid=msedgntp

Wests Tigers have announced the signing of talented outside back Asu Kepaoa from the Roosters effective immediately.
The 20-year-old joins Michael Maguire's side on a three-and-a-half year deal after being granted a release from the Roosters.

Kepaoa played his junior footy for the Roosters and appeared at the Perth Nines this year.

“I’m really excited to be here and take the next step in my journey,” Kepaoa said.

“Looking at the club and how it’s building, I think I can help take it to the next level and it can do the same for me to.

“It makes me excited to know that if I keep working hard then there’s an opportunity right there in front of me and it’s up to me to take it with both hands.”

Wests Tigers CEO Pascoe Justin Pascoe welcomed Kepaoa to the club.

“On behalf of all at Wests Tigers, I’d like to welcome AJ to Wests Tigers and say how excited we are to have him part of our club moving forward,” Pascoe said.

“AJ is a tremendously exciting young talent who clearly has a big future ahead of him, and we’re looking forward to him progressing forward in a Wests Tigers jersey.”

Wests Tigers Coach Michael Maguire said Kepaoa was a strong addition for the squad this season and looked forward to him developing further at the club.

“I’m extremely pleased to welcome AJ to Wests Tigers at this point of the season,” Maguire said.

“I’ve been very impressed by his knowledge, leadership and his character both on and off the field. He is a bright and talented player, and his excitement to join this club is a strong show of intent in what we’re building at Wests Tigers.”

The Tigers are currently sitting ninth on the NRL ladder after a 26-16 defeat to the Eels on Thursday night.

cerberus

Coach

after the weekend

gordsy

Juniors
I like that we are signings guys from good systems. As others have said it means there's a great chance they are football smart, will work hard , are used to winning and will do what it takes to win and expect the same from others. It means a culture change will be bigger and long lasting. .

Last edited:
Kepaoa follows SBW to league, only to make way for his Roosters return

Sonny Bill Williams probably doesn’t realise how he shaped the career of the player who has made his return to the Roosters possible.

Well before Asu ‘AJ’ Kepaoa agreed to an early transfer to Wests Tigers, a move that opened up a top-30 spot for Williams at the premiers, the promising outside back was a huge fan of the cross-code star.

When Kepaoa was on a scholarship at Sacred Heart College in Auckland, a renowned rugby nursery that has produced 22 All Blacks, he grew up hoping to make his name in the 15-man game. But then he saw the impact Williams had on the Roosters and the NRL, and decided that was the path he wanted to follow.

“Sonny has had a massive influence on me, especially as a little Islander boy coming out of New Zealand,” Kepaoa told the Herald.

“I was getting close to going to rugby union [until he switched back]. Just the way he goes about things, how professional he is off the field, just inspires me.

“The little things he does off the field show on the field. It would have been good to learn a few things off Sonny, take notes on what he does at training.”

Instead, of making his mark at the Roosters, Kepaoa is now a Tiger. The 20-year-old had agreed last month to join the joint-venture outfit on a three-year deal and the parties were keen to expedite the move. The Tricolours held firm until they needed to free up a spot for Williams. The move will prove mutually beneficial.

Kepaoa had been on the cusp of an NRL debut countless times for the Roosters, but injury struck just as he was about to get his chance. The three-quarter had hoped to get a few games alongside Williams, but instead could come up against him when the teams clash in round 15.

“I would love to, for sure, that would be awesome,” Kepaoa said.

“The Roosters is a top-class team, they have plenty of first-class players and I felt my opportunity was blocked there. An opportunity popped up and I felt I could get more experience at the Tigers. I felt it was best for me, it was good timing.

“It’s a massive win for me, it gives me a chance to play first grade now. It’s an opportunity to get out and get some game time, just expose myself out there.

“I feel like I gained a bit of knowledge under the likes of Brett Morris, Ryan Hall and all those first-class wingers. It's been good, but now I feel it’s time to move on.”

Tigers coach Michael Maguire opted not to rush Kepaoa into his side for Friday’s clash with the Warriors, given he only just arrived at the club. However, he will be considered for selection the following week against Newcastle.

Kepaoa is ready whenever the opportunity arises. Had it not been for a torn pectoral that sidelined him for much of last season, he would have already made his NRL debut. He may not be the only player in his family to eventually do so.

Younger brother Petelo, 17, remains in the Roosters system and is considered a future first-grader. They may get the chance to square off in coming years.

“That’s the dream for both of us,” said Kepaoa, who is completing business and interior design courses.

“It would be good to get our family name out there. I can’t wait, hopefully the journey goes well for him.

“One of my main goals is to get my parents a house. I want to make sure I grind it out.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ke...-for-his-roosters-return-20200729-p55gkj.html

Tigerm

First Grade
Kepaoa follows SBW to league, only to make way for his Roosters return

Sonny Bill Williams probably doesn’t realise how he shaped the career of the player who has made his return to the Roosters possible.

Well before Asu ‘AJ’ Kepaoa agreed to an early transfer to Wests Tigers, a move that opened up a top-30 spot for Williams at the premiers, the promising outside back was a huge fan of the cross-code star.

When Kepaoa was on a scholarship at Sacred Heart College in Auckland, a renowned rugby nursery that has produced 22 All Blacks, he grew up hoping to make his name in the 15-man game. But then he saw the impact Williams had on the Roosters and the NRL, and decided that was the path he wanted to follow.

“Sonny has had a massive influence on me, especially as a little Islander boy coming out of New Zealand,” Kepaoa told the Herald.

“I was getting close to going to rugby union [until he switched back]. Just the way he goes about things, how professional he is off the field, just inspires me.

“The little things he does off the field show on the field. It would have been good to learn a few things off Sonny, take notes on what he does at training.”

Instead, of making his mark at the Roosters, Kepaoa is now a Tiger. The 20-year-old had agreed last month to join the joint-venture outfit on a three-year deal and the parties were keen to expedite the move. The Tricolours held firm until they needed to free up a spot for Williams. The move will prove mutually beneficial.

Kepaoa had been on the cusp of an NRL debut countless times for the Roosters, but injury struck just as he was about to get his chance. The three-quarter had hoped to get a few games alongside Williams, but instead could come up against him when the teams clash in round 15.

“I would love to, for sure, that would be awesome,” Kepaoa said.

“The Roosters is a top-class team, they have plenty of first-class players and I felt my opportunity was blocked there. An opportunity popped up and I felt I could get more experience at the Tigers. I felt it was best for me, it was good timing.

“It’s a massive win for me, it gives me a chance to play first grade now. It’s an opportunity to get out and get some game time, just expose myself out there.

“I feel like I gained a bit of knowledge under the likes of Brett Morris, Ryan Hall and all those first-class wingers. It's been good, but now I feel it’s time to move on.”

Tigers coach Michael Maguire opted not to rush Kepaoa into his side for Friday’s clash with the Warriors, given he only just arrived at the club. However, he will be considered for selection the following week against Newcastle.

Kepaoa is ready whenever the opportunity arises. Had it not been for a torn pectoral that sidelined him for much of last season, he would have already made his NRL debut. He may not be the only player in his family to eventually do so.

Younger brother Petelo, 17, remains in the Roosters system and is considered a future first-grader. They may get the chance to square off in coming years.

“That’s the dream for both of us,” said Kepaoa, who is completing business and interior design courses.

“It would be good to get our family name out there. I can’t wait, hopefully the journey goes well for him.

“One of my main goals is to get my parents a house. I want to make sure I grind it out.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ke...-for-his-roosters-return-20200729-p55gkj.html
Just love these kids who want to look after their parents, probably a lot do that you don’t hear about, but it’s so refreshing. Hope he goes well.