What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd11: Parra v Tigers GAME DAY thread (23/7/20)

Gronk

Staff member
He’s behind

Smith
Friend
Korisau
Grant
Cook

he’s not even in their league to be honest. He probably mid table. Not saying he’s a terrible player but def overrated by our fans. I like his desire but needs to Inprove his running game. And tonight his passing game was poor again.
Reed definitely needs a running game. Cam, Cook and Grant seem to have the ability to get away from the markers and get players in motion. Whereas Reed just clears the ball (well) out of the ruck. I guess we do play with more width than other teams. Reed has plenty of upside, so there is no reason why he can be as good as those above him.

Reed usually has stats like 8/45m, which is not much different to his rivals.

strider

Post Whore
No i thought it was a good win. The first 15 mins was shakey but other than that we did good. Tigers have been going ok. Their forwards play tough. They have several good hard tacklers. Our forwards n sivo got bent in half many times. Tigers arent a top team but they can trouble top teams on their day.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
great fighting effort to come back like that but thats 2 weeks in a row now where we have had shit starts

chiefy1

Juniors
This farming cheeses me if,,,...

BA needs to tell Paulo not to offload on every occasion. Smart teams are stripping whenever Jnr turns in the tackle but the refs are deeming it a loose carry. Its costing us at least two errors in each match when possession is absolutely crucial.
A great coach would get him to run straight and hard and occasionally offload

Why BA ???

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
No i thought it was a good win. The first 15 mins was shakey but other than that we did good. Tigers have been going ok. Their forwards play tough. They have several good hard tacklers. Our forwards n sivo got bent in half many times. Tigers arent a top team but they can trouble top teams on their day.

Without Harry Grant they're a bottom 4 team. Being at the game you see how much he directs them in attack, would be interesting to see how he plays when he doesn't have to make 65+ tackle attempts.

Gronk

Staff member

BA needs to tell Paulo not to offload on every occasion. Smart teams are stripping whenever Jnr turns in the tackle but the refs are deeming it a loose carry. Its costing us at least two errors in each match when possession is absolutely crucial.

Why BA ???
They weren't offloading last night. Maybe 8 for the whole team and Nrown had 3 of those.

How many times has Jnr been stripped of the ball this year for this to be an actual problem ?

Gronk

Staff member
Without Harry Grant they're a bottom 4 team. Being at the game you see how much he directs them in attack, would be interesting to see how he plays when he doesn't have to make 65+ tackle attempts.
His high tackle count is the enthusiasm of youth. Storm have a real gem there.

eels_fan

First Grade

Why BA ???

he has barely offloaded at all the couple of weeks. You can see him think about it at pull it back in, his offload selection has Improved greatly.

these smart teams that you speak of, we clearly haven’t been playing them as the scenario you said has played out once, maybe twice, in the entire season. It’s a non-issue.

eel01s

Bench
Re: Mahoney's running game, or lack thereof, I think he is playing the way BA wants him to play. Our attack is based on Moses and Brown getting the ball quickly and then directing the play. Can you imagine the Tigers attack if they had to rely on Benji and Walters?

I think Reed and Gutho do have a licence to run from dummy half when the opportunity presents.

On Grant, he was noticeably quiet in the second half once we gained the ascendency. His style is good when his team is going forward and markers give him room, which we inexplicably did for the first 20 minutes.

84 Baby

Referee
sorry mate, not being critical of fergo as he may still be hampered by injury, but I thought a lot of his hit ups he was just going thru the motions.
Fergo is the best hit up winger bar none. Runs straight, makes metres, consistently gets on the other side of the tacklers and has one of the fastest play the balls. If he is going through the motions, I look forward to what he can do when he tries

TheRam

Coach
Re: Mahoney's running game, or lack thereof, I think he is playing the way BA wants him to play. Our attack is based on Moses and Brown getting the ball quickly and then directing the play. Can you imagine the Tigers attack if they had to rely on Benji and Walters?

I think Reed and Gutho do have a licence to run from dummy half when the opportunity presents.

On Grant, he was noticeably quiet in the second half once we gained the ascendency. His style is good when his team is going forward and markers give him room, which we inexplicably did for the first 20 minutes.

What was Mahoney's game like the first 15 minutes?

84 Baby

Referee
Even when we were on top I thought we were giving him too much respect, the A defender backpedaling when he made runs. I know it’s a tactic to keep a straight line but against dummy halves like Grant, the B and out defenders just have to make sure they stay close while the A defender smashes the merkin.

Wally21

Bench
Fergo is the best hit up winger bar none. Runs straight, makes metres, consistently gets on the other side of the tacklers and has one of the fastest play the balls. If he is going through the motions, I look forward to what he can do when he tries
Agree his kick returns were better than Sivo last night