What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd11: Parra v Tigers GAME DAY thread (23/7/20)

eel01s

Bench
I thought Fergo was good last night. However I am still praying that the Fergo from the first three games of 2019 returns. Now that was a beast!

On Nuikore, imagine when we get back to full strength with a bench of

Taka
Evans
Nuikore
Kafusi

We will be in a very strong position to give the comp a real shake.

It was a pretty exciting game despite the fact we got over awed for awhile.

Points (eels):

1. Sivo survived his horrific injury during the week and had a game.

2. RCG is back. Massive game

3. The king.

The good thing was the composure shown after the early onslaught. Back end of the second half was of junior concern.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I don't know what game you watched but I watched a game where Grant made 57 tackles and while his pack where in the hunt was a magician around the ruck.

Mahoney started off slow, but then found his feet when we started to make space and and finished very strongly.

Split decision. They are both guns and both top notch defenders in the middle, but they should both ease up on the defense. As for with ball in hand, they play a different style of game.

I caught Grant going in for a few third man tackles, which no doubt padded his stats; I also saw him back off a few times, to let his forward make the tackle.

He is still a gun.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I felt Mahoney took some bad option a few times. He also needs to support a little more and just run when gets ball from an offload. He is playing more confident and like a leader though.

I will concede that Mahoney started slowly, and Grant started quickly, right off the blocks.

But as he settled into the game, Mahoney's composure helped us steady the ship; Grant didn't have that effect on the Tigers.

As I said - both players are guns.

But I am very happy with the hooker we have.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Nikauore is the guy who impresses me. Takes off fast and his PCM are insane. Also a quick play the ball and excellent defense. He needs more minutes.
Slowly he climbs closer to N.Brown starting spot.

Niukore was immense.

I reckon we could start with Marata, and have Nathan off the bench, running at tired middles, as an impact player, and we would be just as good.

Gronk

Staff member
Just on Nofoaluma. I think he has created a new stat - post tackle metres. Dude played the ball 2-3m in front of where he got tackled almost every time. He even pushed one of the markers at one point (not even tackling him at the time) out of the way to do so and still complained. Growing a bit of dislike for the pretty boy

They should also have a stat for him for sideways metres.

yy_cheng

Coach
I'm concerned about burning out rcg and Paulo

Maybe give marata and nrown longer stints against the dog

It shouldn't affect our quality that much

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Just on Nofoaluma. I think he has created a new stat - post tackle metres. Dude played the ball 2-3m in front of where he got tackled almost every time. He even pushed one of the markers at one point (not even tackling him at the time) out of the way to do so and still complained. Growing a bit of dislike for the pretty boy
At least three times he received the ball, looked up and saw Sivo, then ran away to the centre of the field.

TheRam

Coach
I caught Grant going in for a few third man tackles, which no doubt padded his stats; I also saw him back off a few times, to let his forward make the tackle.

He is still a gun.

Oh I'm sure he will apologise to his coach, team mates and fans that he wasn't the first man in every tackle and that he didn't make every tackle.

Get a grip man!

Gazzamatta

Coach
Loving the Mahoney V Grant discussions. Both were good last night playing different styles.
Im sure Rheed is playing to instruction which is to let our ball players do their job but I pose the question, how much better would Moses and Drown be if in fact we had a threat from D/H? Teams are not threatened at the PTB and adjust defences accordingly. Hopefully both BA and Rheed develop a plan to take less defence off our halfs.
Gutho. Amazing. What a player. His positioning was incredible and energy is bottomless.
Sivo did his job but needs to find a quicker PTB.
Waqas involvment was terrific. Love his jump and tap back. Something we have been lacking BW.
Jenko. An ok game in A but D was excellent. Hopefully contract talk dosent mess with his head.
Fergo. Still not 100% but it was very obvious how much we missed him last week.
Drown. Back to form but could be one considered for a rest in coming weeks. Its a long season.
Moses. Rusty but our General. Needs better boots.
Nrown. Obviously injured but tried his guts out. Next game look out.
Lane. Welcome back big fella. Awsome game.
Matto. A bad miss very early for the Tigpies try. Maybe this weeks media had an effect. Apparently dosent like playing after being concussed so fingers crossed for next week.
Jnr. Great effort but reduced effectivness. Another who might need a rest to get back to his ball distributing best.
Rheed. Love this guy but asking 80 from him each week is madness. Injuries for sure. Sternum?
Reg. Wow! A huge reason we are winning. Love this guy.
AD. Great game. This kid (old man) should be offered a contract 1 to 2 years. Looks a player who will excell when surrounded by better players.
Taka. No errors. Well done.
Marata. Deserves an upgrade. Turning himself into an extremely valuable team member.
Stef. Surprised me tonight. Very strong. Went ok I thought.
BA. I think we were lucky we had better players tonight. We were killed at the PTB but our tactic to tire Grant with defence "eventually" worked. A couple of new plays tonight but we've lost some spark. We will eventually need much more than energy to win the big games. Keep improving BA. We need you at your best.
I had a great night last night. The organisation and Covid plan for the Stadium was exceptional. I felt very safe. No Tigpie supporters also helped greatly.
Go you Mighty Eels.

IFR33K

Coach
Lane was great last night IMO, Marata is much better in the middle anyway.

Yeah I agree Marata re middle. Lane just frustrates me, he should be a lot more aggressive using his frame more. IDK what it is, it’s seems at times he struggles with putting opposing players to the ground in a tackle. It’s like as though he’s content to hold them in a tackle rather than wrestle them to ground.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
big shout out to the Townsville Tradie, thought he showed some skill last night

needs to up his work rate a bit but for a bloke who just played his second game and put in a big shift, I reckon he will be upgraded or extended as I think he showed he is a keeper

If Matto is out next week he could get a start ahead of Taka, fitness depending

TheRam

Coach
big shout out to the Townsville Tradie, thought he showed some skill last night

needs to up his work rate a bit but for a bloke who just played his second game and put in a big shift, I reckon he will be upgraded or extended as I think he showed he is a keeper

If Matto is out next week he could get a start ahead of Taka, fitness depending

And his offload to the King changed the game for us. I was so happy for him after all the sacrifices he has made so far to get to where he is.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Oh I'm sure he will apologise to his coach, team mates and fans that he wasn't the first man in every tackle and that he didn't make every tackle.

Get a grip man!

Harry Grant was heavily targeted last night, and acquitted himself well.

But when the game was on the line, he didn’t help his team win.

Mahoney started slowly, and made some poor choices, but when we needed someone to stand up, he (and a few other Eels) stood up, and delivered when it counted.

I rate both players very highly, but I believe we don't win last night without Mahoney, for all the errors he made.

Last edited:

TheRam

Coach
Why are you so childish sometimes? It seems that you're always making snide remarks when people dare to have a different view than yours.

If that floats your boat, so be it - I am above that, and will not resort to that boorish behaviour.

Mahoney started slowly, and made some poor choices, but when we needed someone to stand up, he (and a few other Eels) stood up, and delivered when it counted.

I rate both players very highly, but I believe we don't win last night without Mahoney, for all the errors he made.

Sorry mate, I wasn't actually trying to have a go at you. My comment at the end was more of a obviously feeble attempt at a joke. Sorry again. But I also think if Harry was in our team he would of dismantled the Tigers like a surgeon.

IFR33K

Coach

Come on man! You seriously expected Grant to do more then what he done? Look at his team mates for crying out loud. It’s an average team! On top of that, consider the injuries they suffered, you seriously think Grant was going to overcome that and the tigers produce a win? You’re being extremely harsh on grant, especially when at one stage parra had 70% of the ball in the second half. He played way above reed, and has been doing it all year, take the blue and gold glasses off.

Cam Smith would of been proud of that performance last, had it been him playing for the tigers. Grant is the only reason they’re in the 8. Take him away they have sweet f all!

Eelementary

Post Whore
Sorry mate, I wasn't actually trying to have a go at you. My comment at the end was more of a obviously feeble attempt at a joke. Sorry again. But I also think if Harry was in our team he would of dismantled the Tigers like a surgeon.

All good, mate - I thought you were having a go!

Harry Grant is a genius, there's no denying that.