What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One to watch: Jason Saab

jak

Bench
Mate no one will ever so the real reasons except for himself and his sleazy manager. But if all the excuses, travel, religion, family etc are being promoted by his manager, the real reason will almost be the mighty $$$$$$
and the roosters

boardlumps62

Juniors
This is how the Broncos achieved their current position on the ladder. Club paying exorbitant salaries undeserved when some or most of the players underperform. Best players are kept with hunger in their bellies. Saab likened to that South's junior being chased by union. What is he suffers an injury like ACL that affects his performance in the future just like Jack Bird.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
This is how the Broncos achieved their current position on the ladder. Club paying exorbitant salaries undeserved when some or most of the players underperform. Best players are kept with hunger in their bellies. Saab likened to that South's junior being chased by union. What is he suffers an injury like ACL that affects his performance in the future just like Jack Bird.
That’s the risk with paying on potential for juniors..

Did Karl McNicholl ever get to first grade?

It can be such a gulf between being a standout amongst players of your own age vs being competitive against blokes who have been playing first grade for a while..

I’m always a little cautious when someone is touted as a future star because they were a junior kangaroo..

Yes, it’s certainly impressive that they made the side, but 17 other blokes will make it next year..

And 17 other blokes the year after that..

images

True_Believer

Juniors
That’s the risk with paying on potential for juniors..

Did Karl McNicholl ever get to first grade?

It can be such a gulf between being a standout amongst players of your own age vs being competitive against blokes who have been playing first grade for a while..

I’m always a little cautious when someone is touted as a future star because they were a junior kangaroo..

Yes, it’s certainly impressive that they made the side, but 17 other blokes will make it next year..

And 17 other blokes the year after that..

images

I don't have a link to anything but I have heard from people close to the club (I realise it's still just hearsay) that religion is indeed the reason for the request.

It's not uncommon for strict Muslim families to have their sons stay at home to assist with supporting the family until they get married. I have been led to believe that the family believes the additional time spent travelling is causing problems that were not expected at the time of signing the contract. This has been the case all along - it's a family request as opposed to a manager/player request.

Again, I have nothing to confirm this however I have no reason to doubt my sources either.

As I've said before, I'm loathe to let the kid go as I think there is some serious potential there, but if the circumstances described above are indeed the reason for the request, then I would reluctantly let him go. If he's getting pressured outside of the team environment, it will undoubtedly create issues (which I think we are seeing glimpses of with his enthusiam).

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I don't have a link to anything but I have heard from people close to the club (I realise it's still just hearsay) that religion is indeed the reason for the request.

It's not uncommon for strict Muslim families to have their sons stay at home to assist with supporting the family until they get married. I have been led to believe that the family believes the additional time spent travelling is causing problems that were not expected at the time of signing the contract. This has been the case all along - it's a family request as opposed to a manager/player request.

Again, I have nothing to confirm this however I have no reason to doubt my sources either.

As I've said before, I'm loathe to let the kid go as I think there is some serious potential there, but if the circumstances described above are indeed the reason for the request, then I would reluctantly let him go. If he's getting pressured outside of the team environment, it will undoubtedly create issues (which I think we are seeing glimpses of with his enthusiam).
Firstly, kudos for actually conversing on the subject rather than carrying on like another on here..

It does seem odd though if true.. If it is a family link, and as strong as claimed, given he was already in the squad surely the travel would have been known and discussed by them at the time of resigning?

*speculation* unless his family was told by the manager the contract would have ensured more game time & therefore more $$$

A lot of talk about Islam.. Do we even know if he is Muslim? And does it matter?

True_Believer

Juniors
Firstly, kudos for actually conversing on the subject rather than carrying on like another on here..

It does seem odd though if true.. If it is a family link, and as strong as claimed, given he was already in the squad surely the travel would have been known and discussed by them at the time of resigning?

*speculation* unless his family was told by the manager the contract would have ensured more game time & therefore more $$$

A lot of talk about Islam.. Do we even know if he is Muslim? And does it matter?

Yeah, from what I understand, there were circumstance changes that have initiated it. I don't know what they are, but that's what I've heard. You are right, it's speculation only as nothing official has come out - I'm just going by and relaying what I've heard.

Secondly, you are right, religion is irrelevant. But again, I've been told it's Islam and if true does go some way to explain why he hasn't just moved.

True_Believer

Juniors
The vile posted on here is a fu king disgrace.
Everyone claiming to know this that or the other when in reality you all know fu k all.
Let's just start with the fact that Saab is a Christian and finish with, the rest of it is none of your fuc king busness.
What a shit show this forum has became.

Sorry George - I was just relaying what I was told. Apologies if you took offence to what I posted.

TruSaint

Referee
The vile posted on here is a fu king disgrace.
Everyone claiming to know this that or the other when in reality you all know fu k all.
Let's just start with the fact that Saab is a Christian and finish with, the rest of it is none of your fuc king busness.
What a shit show this forum has became.

I'm glad you put that issue to rest to be honest.

getsmarty

Immortal
saab-200717_gt_032.jpg

TELSTRA TRACKER

Presented By

Impressive athletic data underlines why Saab's in demand
Author
Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 24 Jul 2020, 05:55 PM

Data obtained by Telstra Tracker shows just why the Dragons have been hesitant to let teenage winger Jason Saab leave the club.

In round 10, Saab recorded the top maximum speed (34.8km/h) and produced the most high-speed efforts (39 bursts of 20km/h or more) in an impressive display of pace and endurance.

Saturday's win over the Bulldogs was Saab's sixth NRL match.

St George Illawarra confirmed in June that Saab, who is reportedly struggling with travelling to Wollongong from Western Sydney, had been denied a contract release.

ttracker-2-max-speed_20200722.jpg

Dragons coach Paul McGregor at the time said he was surprised that Saab wanted out of the club despite being signed until 2022.

"He has a great future in the game and we want it to be at this club," McGregor said.

ttracker-3-high-speed-efforts_20200722.jpg

In Round 10, the 19-year-old beat Storm flyer Josh Addo-Carr (37.4km/h), Eels veteran Michael Jennings (34.2), Titans rookie Treymain Spry (34) and Dragons teammate Zac Lomax (34) in the speed stakes.

And he had more high-speed efforts than Sharks fullback Will Kennedy (35), Storm No.1 Ryan Papenhuyzen (34), Bulldogs centre Kerrod Holland (33) and Rabbitohs speedster Alex Johnston (32).

ttracker-1-max-distance_20200722.jpg

Saab also topped the high-speed efforts chart in his previous NRL appearances this year in rounds seven (42) and eight (37).

Meanwhile, Eels playmaker Jai Field and Knights general Mitchell Pearce covered the equal-most distance last round with 9.7km.

Sharks halfback Chad Townsend (9.6km), Eels five-eighth Dylan Brown (9.5km) and Kennedy (9.4km) rounded out the top five.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/23/telstra-tracker-stats-show-why-saab-is-in-demand/

boardlumps62

Juniors
Can we get him a Motor Home decked out in Red and White he can sleep or watch videos and have a gaming console that might make him happy.
Who will be the driver while Saab relaxes on the way to Gong.