What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

Zoidberg

First Grade
Rewatched Kill Bill 1 & 2 which I haven’t seen for years. I still stick with my original opinion of which Vol. 1 is great fun and much more enjoyable, Vol. 2 is drawn out too much and I don’t think the 3rd act pays off.
I’m not the biggest fan of Tarantino, haven’t seen any of his since Inglorious Basterds, but I think Vol 1 is the best I’ve seen of his.

azzah72

Bench
Rewatched Kill Bill 1 & 2 which I haven’t seen for years. I still stick with my original opinion of which Vol. 1 is great fun and much more enjoyable, Vol. 2 is drawn out too much and I don’t think the 3rd act pays off.
I’m not the biggest fan of Tarantino, haven’t seen any of his since Inglorious Basterds, but I think Vol 1 is the best I’ve seen of his.

It's funny, I'm of the rare opinion that the kill Bill movies are his worst.

I don't dislike them but I like the rest of his catalogue more.

I think Jackie Brown is really underrated, as is hateful 8.

Generalzod

Immortal
Actually I loved Django unchained , the Hatefull 8 is a great movie...

horrie hastings

First Grade
De Lovely

A fascinating bio pic about Cole Porter and how he juggled his song writing career and his bi sexuality while married to his wife Linda.
Starring Kevin Kline and Ashley Judd it also some great musical cameos from Robbie Williams, Diana Krall, Elvis Costello, Alainis Morissette, Sheryl Crow and Natalie Cole.

Last edited:

PJ

First Grade
Vast of Night. SciFi I had heard good things about but just didn't do it for me. Very slow and ending was signaled a mile away.

6/10

mongoose

Coach
Doctor Sleep - I am not familiar with the book but this is apparently a sequel to The Shining. It wasn't anything like The Shining though.... was almost like a superhero movie. I thought it was a real mess to be honest. The last 20 min of the movie are set in The Overlook hotel but it just seems like fan service. Not what I was expecting at all...

Matua

Bench
It's funny, I'm of the rare opinion that the kill Bill movies are his worst.

I don't dislike them but I like the rest of his catalogue more.

I think Jackie Brown is really underrated, as is hateful 8.
I used to rate Jackie Brown higher, and it was kind of 'cool' too back in the day when he only had a few movies because it was the 'understated' one. But, I like QT's movies for the overblown QTness of them and as much as I like Jackie Brown it's obvious he's playing in someone else's pool and as such it's definitely lower on my list.

On Kill Bill, I think they rate pretty low on most people's QT lists. Especially 2 which suffers in comparison to 1 which is genuinely awesome fun.

mongoose

Coach
My unpopular QT opinion is Inglorious Basterds is way overrated and Pitt kind of sucks in it. In fact it's the only QT movie I don't like. It just always rubbed me the wrong way like some adolescents wet dream take on WW2 put to celluloid.

Wizardman

First Grade
My unpopular QT opinion is Inglorious Basterds is way overrated and Pitt kind of sucks in it. In fact it's the only QT movie I don't like. It just always rubbed me the wrong way like some adolescents wet dream take on WW2 put to celluloid.
100% share the same opinion. The opening scene is one of the best monologues (a virtual one anyway) and opening scenes ever. The rest of the movie I just did not like at all. Brad Pitt absolutely gave me the shits as well.

azzah72

Bench

Yeah, I don;t think it's shit but it lower down the rank for mine compared to others.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Rambo Last Blood. Started off not bad (though not necessarily feeling like a Rambo movie) then the last act seems like violence for the sake of it. Final bad guy death...Jesus! I grew up on the Rambo movies but didn’t really love them, Rambo (4) I thought was unexpectedly good. This one, not one to watch again.

American Sniper. First time I’ve seen this and found it to be really good. Well paced with good acting and action. Found the sand storm scene a bit too hard to grasp what was happening. Good movie worth a view if you’ve never seen it.

azzah72

Bench
I think the Rambo movies are such a shame as the first one has really interesting themes around the effects of war on someone and how they get cast aside.

All the sequels just became shoot-em-ups.

Was rambo 4 the one from the mid 2000s?

The one with the chick from Dexter in it?

That was a good action movie bit completely highlights the travesty of what Rambo could have been.

Theres an interesting movie out called the kill team.

It's based on a true story and it basically about a soldier having a moral dilemma about this shit his fellow soldiers are doing to prisoners in Afghanistan.

It's not an amazing movie but it's quite good.

Apparently there's a documentary of the same name Im trying to seek out because some of the shit it explores is nuts.

I just don't know how much of it is "hollywood" liberty.

Worth a look though.

azzah72

Bench
I also watched a movie last night called the king of Staten island.

I recommend it, kind of a dramedy like 50/50 or funny people (directed by Apatow) but I really liked it.

There's people out there that don't like Pete Davidson for whatever reason bit I'd say give it a chance, it's a good little movie.

Only negative is, which is constantly a criticism of Apatow movies, is that it's a tad overlong.

Never boring or anything, Apatow just has a tendency to not tighten up his movies sometimes.

But recommend and enjoyable

nöyd

Staff member
I also watched a movie last night called the king of Staten island.

I recommend it, kind of a dramedy like 50/50 or funny people (directed by Apatow) but I really liked it.

There's people out there that don't like Pete Davidson for whatever reason bit I'd say give it a chance, it's a good little movie.

Only negative is, which is constantly a criticism of Apatow movies, is that it's a tad overlong.

Never boring or anything, Apatow just has a tendency to not tighten up his movies sometimes.

But recommend and enjoyable

I'm very cynical or set in my ways in regards to comedy or more specifically the stand up comedians I like above others. My favourite will always be Bill Hicks but man, Pete Davidson is very funny for someone younger than I usually listen to.

Completely agree with azzah, good watchable movie but found myself waiting for it to end. Props to Davidson for taking on the role of the son of a hero firefighter, considering his own real life father was a firefighter who was killed in the WTC on 9/11.