What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad succession

84 Baby

Referee
But we lost Stefano because MON was having a snooze while driving! Probably one of those trolley tractors

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
But we lost Stefano because MON was having a snooze while driving! Probably one of those trolley tractors

was he though ?

does anyone know how much under the cap we are ? and we have no back up for Mahoney and got lucky with Jai Field, so there may be funds set aside for other back ups

we have Kafusi and Polar and maybe Stephano was not considered a priority, or we didn't have enough under the cap to upgrade him

I think the Tigers bought/valued him on his size rather than his ability as when I have sen him play his work rate has been low and he is only getting a gig because we have a heap of injuries

I'm not really trying to defend MON but we cant keep them all and some are bound to slip through

Stephano looked like something rather than actually being something.. The numbers were never there. He might make a decent first grader but is no real loss.

lucablight

First Grade
I reckon Cronk received benefits outside the cap, from his media pathway to just plain getting to live close to work.

Drown and Mahoney are going to need big upgrades next time. If we pay top dollar for Moses we mightn't be able to afford them.

Don't forget the Roosters let go of Maloney who was still good enough to win another premiership with the Sharks. They rebuilt and started with Hastings before settling on Keary who was less than elite at the time.

Look at what the Roosters did at the beginning of 2018. Keary re-signed a new contract at the end of 2017 worth 2.2 million dollars over 3 years when they signed Cronk to a 2 million dollar deal as well. This is all while signing Angus on a 2.7 million deal around the same time. They also re-signed Jake Friend and Latrell Mitchell around this time. I realise Latrell is gone now but it’s not because of salary cap reasons and it has been reported the Roosters are currently under the cap. Would you say Brown, Moses and Mahoney in a few years would cost significantly more than Keary, Cronk and Friend 2018-2019?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/5bd9f6bc9bdf5c2c76d18ba010a72443

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/c...s/news-story/d3146538f635a00a798e2555db63873b

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/9bd2dd153ccec95e137c1816ac80054e

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Despite the lambasting and numerous jokes he copped at the time of his appointment (and occasionally since), I don't think there is anyone on here who really has little regard for O'Neill and what he has been able to do from a squad building perspective since he arrived less than 2 years ago.
You are just looking to stir shit by suggesting there remains O'Neill 'haters' on the forum mate.

How can you hate him if he hasn't even started?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Look at what the Roosters did at the beginning of 2018. Keary re-signed a new contract at the end of 2017 worth 2.2 million dollars over 3 years when they signed Cronk to a 2 million dollar deal as well. This is all while signing Angus on a 2.7 million deal around the same time. They also re-signed Jake Friend and Latrell Mitchell around this time. I realise Latrell is gone now but it’s not because of salary cap reasons and it has been reported the Roosters are currently under the cap. Would you say Brown, Moses and Mahoney in a few years would cost significantly more than Keary, Cronk and Friend 2018-2019?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/5bd9f6bc9bdf5c2c76d18ba010a72443

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/c...s/news-story/d3146538f635a00a798e2555db63873b

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/9bd2dd153ccec95e137c1816ac80054e
Well I reckon they got Cronk on unders, and Friend is nothing special. Mahoney might already be as good. And if Keary is on $2.2M over three years we might already be paying Drown that much. Moses would be on more than that right now. Flanagan would be on maybe half what Drown or Moses is getting.

We also have three big money middle forwards plus Matterson would be on at least as much as Crichton.

The only positions where they would be paying more than us would be Cordner and Tedesco, who would both be on massive coin. JWH would be on similar to our middles.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
* = player option
¢ = club option
^ = development contract

Utility: Field (23), Rankin, Salmon (21), Smith (28), Takairangi (31)
Fullback: Gutherson
W/C: Blake, Dunster (21), Ferguson, Heleta (25)^, G.Jennings (27), M.Jennings, Sivo
Half: D.Brown, Moses
Hooker: Davies (24), Mahoney, Schneider (20)^
Edge forward: Davey (29), Gower (35), Lane, Matterson, Niukore
Tight forward: Alvaro, N.Brown, Campbell-Gillard, Evans (28), Hughes^, Kaufusi, Paulo, Stone (23), Terepo (29), Utoikamanu (20)

Utility: Rankin (30)
Fullback: Gutherson
W/C: Blake, Ferguson (31), M.Jennings, Sivo (28)
Half: D.Brown, Moses
Hooker: Mahoney
Edge forward: Lane, Matterson, Niukore
Tight forward: Alvaro (28), N.Brown (28), Campbell-Gillard, Hughes (20)^, Kaufusi, Paulo

Utility: -
Fullback: Gutherson (28)
W/C: Blake, M.Jennings (34)
Half: D.Brown, Moses (28)*
Hooker: Mahoney (24)
Edge forward: Lane, Matterson (28)*, Niukore (26)
Tight forward: Campbell-Gillard, Kaufusi (23), Paulo (29)

Fullback: -
W/C: Blake (29)
Half: D.Brown (23)
Hooker: -
Edge forward: Lane (29)
Tight forward: Campbell-Gillard*

Fullback: -
W/C: -
Half: -
Hooker: -
Edge forward: -
Tight forward: Campbell-Gillard (31)¢

So we (officially) have 17 merkins in next year's top 30.

Last edited:

Latest posts