What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Locke sick of the rain and cold.

Big Marn

Juniors
Despite being out of rugby league for four years, former Warriors and Kiwis star Kevin Locke is pursuing a return to the NRL.

The 31-year-old, who spent five years with the Warriors, making 89 appearances and scoring 26 tries, worked as a scaffolder with his father after leaving the top level of the game in 2016.

After his final year at the Mount Smart club in 2014, Locke endured a tough stint in England with Salford and Wakefield, with a brief spell with Sunshine Coast Falcons following before he gave the game up.

Now though, he told Fox Sports Australia should he be given another chance, he would "be pumped".
"I have been playing rugby union the last few weeks and the spark is there," Locke said.

"If you'd asked me 12 months ago I would've said 'nah I'm all good'."

Locke has a total of 117 games under his belt between the NRL, Super League and test rugby league. He believes that experience will pay dividends, saying he feels he has matured and can add a lot of value on and off the field.

" can come in and push the younger fellas. If someone wants to give me the opportunity I'd take it with both hands."

Locke had a troublesome time in the Super League, where he was dealing with an ongoing back injury, which, among other things, said it took its toll on him.

"I was struggling with a back injury and I didn't want to let anyone down. I was being rushed back, getting injections … just to get on the park.

"I was a marquee player and I didn't want to let anyone down, the fans and teammates too."

Locke said his time in the tradie business was difficult, and helped him appreciate his old career, and spark hope of a return to the top.

"Life's hard when you have to get on the tools in the cold and the wet.

"I was quite lucky to have the world at my feet.

"I did wrong, I stuffed up. I'm not proud of it. I shouldn't have called it quits and left the game how I did. If I was to be back, I just want to earn people's respect."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12350860

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
"Life's hard when you have to get on the tools in the cold and the wet..."

I'd put that up on the wall somewhere at Mt Smart.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
His time has passed, anyway. It happens to the best of 'em.

On balance I liked Locke. He was a good Warrior. There for some of our best memories.

I liked him up unit the goalpost injury. He never recovered after that and his attitude went to shit.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Really? That injury occurred in only his 24th out of 89 NRL games. His best seasons were after that, surely (well 2011 at least).

wow, really? I dunno he just always seemed to struggle with fitness and form after that. His early career wad great though.

sup42

Juniors
No polite way to say it, Locke is as thick as a plank.

Too dumb to understand what he had. Too dumb to work out why it all went to shit.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
This is total fake news lol, he hit the goalpost in 2010 and 2011 was easily his best season. He didn't even have a significant injury from the goalpost thing.

Latest posts