What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your earliest Rugby League memories

DeeJ

Bench
The first thing I can clearly remember was a snippet about the Broncos winning the grand final on Seven news in 92 or 93. I then decided I was a Broncos fan.

Actually, if you watched Agro's Cartoon Connection, Agro was always talking about the Broncos, Alfie and Wally.

mave

Coach
Trying to jump the picket fence at North Sydney Oval to score one of the black and white cardboard try line posts, and ended up face down on the field with both feet stuck in the pickets, until someone saved me ( I think Dad).

And doing nothing all game but slide down the back of Brookvale Oval hill on empty beer cartons while Dad watched the footy.
Would have been 1983 or 1984.

Danish

Referee
I remember watching the 1989 as a 4 year old, but only the part where they were wheeling a live goddamned tiger around the ground pre-game

mave

Coach
Does anyone remember the Tigers fan with his old Holden or Ford fully sprayed in Tigers colours with the emblem on the bonnet.

1988 or 1989 Grand Final day I think. From memory he was trying to sell it, and the joke was how much the value had decreased after the match.

Grapple

Bench
Not really a Friday night thread, but while I think of it...I'm interested to hear your earliest memories of Rugby League. Not so much your U-5's debut, but more as a spectator.

The first game I watched was the 1991 Grand Final. I remember Royce Simmons' 2nd try most strikingly. I also remember the Kiwis' win over NZ in the first test in Melbourne- Wally Lewis' last game. (We got smashed in the next 2 games)

My earliest memory of a live game was when Canberra toured NZ in 1992. I was a 10 year old, sitting on the grass about 5m behind the in-goal area (crazy!) and watched Mal Meninga tackled by an Auckland player. He held himself upright off the ground with one hand and hopped a metre or so towards the try line to score. I thought that was insane.

Unsurprisingly, I was a Canberra Raiders fan from 1992-1994 and then started supported the Warriors.

Shoot.

i remember that Grand Final like it was yesterday, and hughes commentary.... and sadly the aftermath when ben alexander tragically passed away.
Winfield Cup days were amazing. i remember how every kid in the neigbourhood wanted to be Renouf.

do you remember your first warriors game you saw live?

mongoose

Coach
7 years old - I remember watching some Raiders games towards the end of 1989. I was at some adults party one day and I asked dad if I could go sit in the car so I could listen to Raiders vs Sharks Qualifying final on the radio. I was collecting footy cards too, I even remember they were 35c a pack lol and I had like triples of Michael Hancock I was trying to get rid of.

First game I attended was Raiders vs Tigers in 1990 at Bruce. I think It was a sell out too.

gerg

Juniors
1982. My old man took my brother and I to the Kangaroos v Kumuls game in Port Moresby. Meninga blitzed them and became an instant cult hero with the rabid locals and my favourite ever player, to this day. I remember there being thousands at the game including hanging off the fences, trees and the grandstand roof. My old man got us out safely but there were riots of joy post game.

Meth

Staff member
i remember that Grand Final like it was yesterday, and hughes commentary.... and sadly the aftermath when ben alexander tragically passed away.
Winfield Cup days were amazing. i remember how every kid in the neigbourhood wanted to be Renouf.

do you remember your first warriors game you saw live?

Yes- the very first one, when we went down to the Broncos!

Grapple

Bench
Yes- the very first one, when we went down to the Broncos!

wow, what a historical moment! nice one, bro. remember those times with kirwan and ellis playin'... but such an odd, crazy, introductory time for kiwi fans.... forever grateful though. paved the way for others.

blue bags

First Grade
1982. My old man took my brother and I to the Kangaroos v Kumuls game in Port Moresby. Meninga blitzed them and became an instant cult hero with the rabid locals and my favourite ever player, to this day. I remember there being thousands at the game including hanging off the fences, trees and the grandstand roof. My old man got us out safely but there were riots of joy post game.
that game, the video is on this site, and another kumils vs roos game