What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad succession

Gronk

Staff member
Which means that we’ll bring two more into the top 30 !

giphy.gif

Gronk

Staff member
Official

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/25/warriors-loan-eels-duo-alvaro-jennings/
SIGNINGS

'Delighted' Payten welcomes Eels duo Alvaro, Jennings
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Sat 25 Jul 2020, 06:44 PM

New Zealand Warriors coach Todd Payten is looking forward to welcoming Parramatta duo Daniel Alvaro and George Jennings into camp for the next four weeks.

Eels prop Alvaro and winger Jennings, both 27, will join the Warriors as loan players at their Terrigal base on Sunday and will be eligible to play for the club next week.

"I've spoken to them both and they're super excited. There's some quality there too that should help," Payten said.

"But they need to learn pretty quickly – four or five days – they need to know our calls, understand our structures a little and find themselves in the groove.

"We're delighted to have Daniel and George joining us to boost our stocks in the area where we're the most exposed.

"Daniel has been around for quite a while now and will give us size and quality in the middle of the park while George is a real talent.

"We can't thank Brad [Arthur] and the Eels enough for helping us out."

jenningsg-1gp_1543.jpg

Eels winger George Jennings.:copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
The pair arrive as the Warriors prepare to lose wingers David Fusitu'a and Ken Maumalo and forwards Agnatius Paasi and King Vuniyayawa who will return home for family reasons on Monday.

Alvaro and Jennings follow in the footsteps of Roosters prop Poasa Faamausili and Panthers forward Jack Hetherington who joined the Warriors on loan in the past two months.

"He's settled in really well," Payten said of Hetherington, whom he hopes to retain for another month.

"We decided to get him in recruitment for that very reason: different body shape, an off-load and leg speed through the middle and a lot of aggression.

"He never takes a backward step and I think some of our guys can learn that just be watching how he goes about his business."

Payten's Warriors got to play against Faamausili when they lost a tight one 18-10 to the Roosters at Central Coast Stadium today.

Faamausili played four games with the Warriors, while Hetherington is about to clock up his fourth next weekend

emjaycee

Coach
I think this is a brilliant idea.
With no 2nd grade, our fringe players are not getting any game time and match fitness and come September (October) we may well need them if injuries hit. Providing Alvaro and Gennings can spend the next 2 months playing footy and not getting injured, they will be better prepared should we need them come semi-final time.

And it also gives us more chance to get game time into the likes of Andrew Davey (who???) as well as possibly Dunster, Rankin and Salmon if we need to.

Normally I don't agree with resting players, but 2020 is a different year with 18 games straight into the semis and no 2nd grade comp. Need to have a squad of 21 match fit come semi-finals.

TheRam

Coach
If the Ram School of Negotiation and Talent Identification has taught me anything it’s:
  1. The good players at the club need to be signed up well in advance to other clubs getting a sniff to get them on club friendly deals.
  2. Players who are labelled plodders but are viewed as ok players should be given take it or leave it ultimatums on every contract.
  3. Good players at other clubs should be made offers they can’t refuse.
  4. Players who aren’t viewed as 1st grade starters by Rorters or Scum shouldn’t be offered contracts under any circumstance. Unless they are coming from the Rorters or Scum.
I find it a little disconcerting our lack of Origin players signed up for 2024

That Ram School of Negotiation and Talent Identification sure knows its sh*t. It is all about a winning culture and keeping the players happy. We have got that now, so next season is the time we should start to renegotiate with both Moses and D. Brown for example. They both need to be locked up for another 3 seasons on top of the 2022 season.

People who think that Moses isn't as high a priority anymore because we have Dylan are assuming that Dylan will be the complete package by then. I am not convinced yet. He has a long way to go. What if he ends up like a Munster type of player? You can hardly have Munster game managing your team.

Also, we have both, so we should do as much as we can to ensure that we keep them both. The Roosters struck way early to keep their superstars for good reason. To keep the stinking fingers of those Dogs and alike off of them before they are allowed to make them outlandish offers.

Also by having two quality playmakers in our team, other teams can't focus on just shutting down the one and also not many other teams will have the option of two so we will have a distinct advantage over them. Powerhouse clubs don't squander these opportunities easily. They build on them. When you have 2 great halves and powerful upfront forwards, players from other clubs are drawn to your success. We will be able to sign many other players of quality at reasonable prices due to them and now that our club will be seen as a career builder and great working atmosphere that breeds success.

All the dominos have been falling in the right direction in the last couple of years, why take a huge step back if you don't have to if our clubs management is very smart about the way they do business. To just consider it a fait accompli that we will loose Moses or even Mahoney or any of our spine players, like Pou does is a losers attitude and one that will get you to the bottom of the heap.

If we start the negotiations early and we still lose one of our must keep players, due to major dollar signs being sort by that player, well be it. But if we lose a must have player due to our own folly a la D. Fifita, then that is on us.

Happy MEel

First Grade
So who would you replace him with?
I also hope we’re not banking on Drown becoming our number 1 playmaker by the time Moses is off contract. Moses is already an elite level half and one of the best in the comp. We should be working towards retaining him and building a squad around him. Hopefully that includes Drown but I reckon his role is more easily replaced.

Gronk

Staff member
I also hope we’re not banking on Drown becoming our number 1 playmaker by the time Moses is off contract. Moses is already an elite level half and one of the best in the comp. We should be working towards retaining him and building a squad around him. Hopefully that includes Drown but I reckon his role is more easily replaced.
Drown is only a pup, but he is streets behind Cody Walker from last night, Keary, Munster etc. You can include that 6 from Penrith in this too.

There is an article floating around this morning by a work experience level journo saying that Brown is the "key" to our premiership hopes. Don't get me wrong, if you want a 5/8 who can tackle, run, kick and shift then Brown is your guy, but he is yet to even surpass Chad Townsend in what he delivers on the field. The saving grace is that he will soon be better than Chad and will quickly rise to elite level - once he decides who he is as a player. Is he a Munster who forces his way through the line with strength or is he a Walker who finesses his way through a game with agility and speed ? Of late he's been trying too hard to be a Munster IMHO.

chiefy1

Juniors
Drown is only a pup, but he is streets behind Cody Walker from last night, Keary, Munster etc. You can include that 6 from Penrith in this too.

There is an article floating around this morning by a work experience level journo saying that Brown is the "key" to our premiership hopes. Don't get me wrong, if you want a 5/8 who can tackle, run, kick and shift then Brown is your guy, but he is yet to even surpass Chad Townsend in what he delivers on the field. The saving grace is that he will soon be better than Chad and will quickly rise to elite level - once he decides who he is as a player. Is he a Munster who forces his way through the line with strength or is he a Walker who finesses his way through a game with agility and speed ? Of late he's been trying too hard to be a Munster IMHO.

Just to add most if not all of the players you mentioned weren't regular nrl players at brown's age.
Cody didn't become a regular until around 26, and Munster was a fill in at 20.
Drown is a feared player and is above 99% at a similar age. As a running 5/8 he will become a major threat as his body matures. Give him another 12 months and we'll see what he brings to the team.

Gronk

Staff member
Just to add most if not all of the players you mentioned weren't regular nrl players at brown's age.
Cody didn't become a regular until around 26, and Munster was a fill in at 20.
Drown is a feared player and is above 99% at a similar age. As a running 5/8 he will become a major threat as his body matures. Give him another 12 months and we'll see what he brings to the team.

My point is that Dylan Brown is not the reason we win a comp (unless he is planning a Hayne 09 onslaught), like the article stated. He's a good young player, but in the real deal department is not playing better footy than 50% of the sixes out there. Yes he is young yes he has potential. Yes he is having a good year. Morts was the golden child too remember.

TheRam

Coach
Where have I said I wanted to replace him?

Well you said he is not worth around a million, which is what he will be looking at in his next contract if his form holds out let alone improves or we in a premiership with him.

So if you aren't willing to pay that who would you replace him with at his current or less money?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well you said he is not worth around a million, which is what he will be looking at in his next contract if his form holds out let alone improves or we in a premiership with him.

So if you aren't willing to pay that who would you replace him with at his current or less money?
Any first grader who provides value.

84 Baby

Referee

What does The Ram School of Negotiation and Talent Identification have to say? I assume you want to suitetalk him right now to re-sign, what if he turns around and says he wants $1.2m (or whatever figure it is that would be too high for you) a year and he won’t budge off it? Right this second who are you going to replace him with?
Ifreek is just having one his patented “grass is always greener” moments and it’s nice to have advanced targets but realistically there’s too much time and too many moving parts to make that decision.
Why can’t we all be happy that at this moment in time the Moses’ contact is bang on, and ultimately if he wants to get more money, at the very least he has to continue his form.

Latest posts