What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

True_Believer

Juniors
It’s a gps tracker mate. Friz isn’t slow, remember when he just about ran down Gagai in Origin? In round 9 Friz and Lomax ran faster than Pap. No one said they are faster in general but that awesome Pap try was bested in speed by Lomax and Friz on that particular round. Facts if you want to argue with science good luck with that I won’t entertain that rubbish.

The difference is the fatigue factor. Looking through the GPS articles, they focus heavily on the growing fatigue in the game as the season progresses and the 6 again rule takes it's toll.

The week you are talking about, Papenhuyzen featured second on high speed efforts - which meant that he was running at a high speed for longer during the game - yet he still featured on the top speed list (more than likely that run for the try). Fair effort against a tough team like Canberra. Incidentally, Brendan Elliot also featured in the high speed efforts AND the top speed table. So again, fatigue for Elliot would have been high given he was chasing Lomax at the 70th minute and yet almost caught him. Elliot still topped Lomax in the speed stakes for the game.

No doubting Lomax has some speed, but looking at the top speed in isolation doesn't provide any meaningful indication of capability.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
No doubting Lomax has some speed, but looking at the top speed in isolation doesn't provide any meaningful indication of capability.
Precisely.

When I was young and stupid and got my license I went out to some backroads to see how fast my car could go.

I won’t say the figure, but I can say three things:
- I have never gone that fast again in another car
- It took an awfully long time for the shitbox to actually get to that speed
- Every single car I’ve owned since has been quicker than that first one

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
The difference is the fatigue factor. Looking through the GPS articles, they focus heavily on the growing fatigue in the game as the season progresses and the 6 again rule takes it's toll.

The week you are talking about, Papenhuyzen featured second on high speed efforts - which meant that he was running at a high speed for longer during the game - yet he still featured on the top speed list (more than likely that run for the try). Fair effort against a tough team like Canberra. Incidentally, Brendan Elliot also featured in the high speed efforts AND the top speed table. So again, fatigue for Elliot would have been high given he was chasing Lomax at the 70th minute and yet almost caught him. Elliot still topped Lomax in the speed stakes for the game.

Of course there are other factors but fatigue is part of the game. In round 1 Zac was 5th in top speed 1st in distance covered, along with a number of try saving tackles. Playing fullback obviously and in the rain. I know Pap is faster than Zac and never said he wasn’t but the fact is players are generally going to score tries like that late in the game and they will be fatigued. Also remember Zac makes a hell of a lot more tackles than any fullback and that sucks the juice of the tank pretty fast also. The argument is not that he’s faster than Pap it is that he is definitely fast enough to play centre, there are plenty of other centres not making high speed efforts lists and they aren’t making the top speed lists. That 90 meter try in the 60th minute by Pap was not the absolute fastest he can run no doubt but no one is going to say it was slow. Zac matched that speed even bettered it by a hair so theoretically if he made that break against similarly fatigued opposition he could finish it.
We can only judge him in his position, he will never have to make the amount of high speed efforts Pap or Duft do but that is irrelevant in the context of a game because at the end of the day whatever the reason for a drop in speed fact remains at a similar stage in the game both players posted very respectable speeds. Every player will see a drop throughout the game and the season but this will be nullified by the opposition also tiring. Just watch that Pap try again, that is fast enough for any centre. Zac can match that speed, doesn’t look as impressive because tall guys don’t have to take as many strides to make the same distance. Add to his speed a big body, good fend and passing skills and you have the makings of a very very good player.

The Badger

Juniors
I predict Lomax to be our next Changa Langlands and Saab, if he stays, is likely to be one of the form wingers in the comp. in 2021.
It is a long time since I have seen a player improve as quickly as Lomax.Despite playing outside Norman who creates little and Frizelle who just barges without passing Zac finds ways to create his own opportunities through anticipation,defensive pressure and determination.Isnt the creating of opportunities from nothing what made Slater so great and now Tedesco and Papenhuyzen.Zac has something special.He has overcome the poor coaching management of his career to push to the top of the pile.Despite his younger years he is the one talking and encouraging his team mates through the game, leading the kick chase ,scoring opportunist tries and then coolly kicking goals from the sideline.Lets bring Ramsay and some of these other young backs through to join him.He looks captain material to me.He signed a 5 year contract with a club whose future looked bleak.Maybe he knew something about himself that others didn't.

getsmarty

Immortal
ttracker-2-max-speed_20200722.jpg

Warabrook saint

Juniors
It is a long time since I have seen a player improve as quickly as Lomax.Despite playing outside Norman who creates little and Frizelle who just barges without passing Zac finds ways to create his own opportunities through anticipation,defensive pressure and determination.Isnt the creating of opportunities from nothing what made Slater so great and now Tedesco and Papenhuyzen.Zac has something special.He has overcome the poor coaching management of his career to push to the top of the pile.Despite his younger years he is the one talking and encouraging his team mates through the game, leading the kick chase ,scoring opportunist tries and then coolly kicking goals from the sideline.Lets bring Ramsay and some of these other young backs through to join him.He looks captain material to me.He signed a 5 year contract with a club whose future looked bleak.Maybe he knew something about himself that others didn't.
Well said

Latest posts