What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Defence issue

azzah72

Bench
Currently second in Attack which I can't remember the last time we were that high, which is great.

Currently the worst defence in the top 11.

The moment we can't score, we are f**ked.

Need to tighten it up immediately.

Version IV

Juniors
The problem we have some lazy players in middle Woods

Williams has habit of missing important tackles

Goodwin well he is a turn style

R-15-3

Bench
Won’t be a popular opinion but Braily is struggling in the middle, I’m fine with him in attack but really getting pushed around at times, really is 18 months of getting his body up in size for 80 min imo
It’s causing him to jump early to get on the front foot but giving away a few penalties.
Shame we don’t have a nuggety guy who could do the first 20 min of the game and play braily for the back 60.

snout

First Grade
We need to wrap up the ball.
3 men in a tackle and they lay off out the back to dufty or hunt repeatedly.
Especially on the 4th when theyve gone nowhere.
All their points came from this in the firat half.

Ads

First Grade
The left edge is a mess. I don’t know the stats but that’s got to be a big concern. One of the first things that needs to be fixed imo.

Weaponhead

Coach
The left edge is a mess. I don’t know the stats but that’s got to be a big concern. One of the first things that needs to be fixed imo.
Yep. Dufty and Lomax carved up Chad and Goodwin. Ronnie ran in on a couple kick returns and gave up breaks.

wibble

Bench
Need a fullback that can read the opposition plays and communicate with the defensive line. Kennedy is too green and Moylan is never there...

Duges in the centres and poor old Goodwin out and we should look a bit better

Our defense can't just rest on a few players, but I agree that Dugan in that left centre spot, and Moylan at the back talking, would help us a lot.

Defense often comes down to experience, and we just don't have enough players across the board with defensive experience to be that good at it at the moment. Letting Morris go seems more than silly, right now, but I guess we wouldn't have, in hindsight.

Ideally, we also really need one of our young mobile forwards to become a great defender. A lot of good hole runners and line benders in the pigs, but not a lot of great defenders.

Frailty

First Grade
Wade and Chad have been horrific in defence, which has been somewhat covered when Dugan is there. Both times Goodwin has played centre, that side of the field looks like they try to avoid contact.

We do a lot of clutching, but little force in tackles. This means in the middle of the field we are rarely stopping momentum.

No quick fixes unfortunately.

Weaponhead

Coach
The left edge has been very poor. Wade was better last night. Chad showed more intent but is very sluggish in sliding. Goodwin is just too slow to defend at centre and Ronnie is impulsive. Dugan adds stability, physicality and better judgement.

Given personnel changes before and during the game, the right edge did ok.

Middle got caught offside early too often, conceding metres and a couple of line breaks. Lifted the aggression when were on top but dropped off with 25 to go.

Card Shark

Immortal
We do a lot of clutching, but little force in tackles. This means in the middle of the field we are rarely stopping momentum.

No quick fixes unfortunately.

Agree!

We have sacrificed good defence from the Flanno era to good attack, which a lot of us wanted.

We have some monsters with the ball in hand but they are not so nimble in defence & can be easily found out.

The beauty about this game is a 12-8 win in the Flanno era or a 28-24 win in the Morris era are both heart attack 4 point victories but they both result in 2 vital competition points.

The quick fix is getting our best players on the park but we are falling like flies atm!

shadowboxer

First Grade
Surprised we got up without Dugan. Cops plenty of flack but he has been solid.
Considering the players out before and during the game, both gutsy performance by the sharks and shameful effort from the dragons.
Mary can cry all he wants about the refs but seriously if I was him I would go the dragons management and talk about doing a job switch with Flanagan - swap roles and salaries when he is able to return - that way he can hang onto to some sort of gig other than going back to Dapto as a garbo

Latest posts