What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

David Fifita is a Titan

Xcalibre

Juniors
Anyone criticizing this move is simply jealous their team didn’t get David’s signature. GC needs spine players not forwards? Sure, but DF is more than a forward. He’s a game breaker, the likes of which haven’t been seen since SBW in his prime. Having him in the team will create many more opportunities for their spine.

I’d be very excited for the future if I was a GC supporter.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Roosters are paying Crichton $1mill a season and Fifita is a hell of a lot better than him.

They are going to have a beast forward pack next season. Just need to piss of Boyd, Peachy and Cartwright then either let Proctor go or offer him minimum wage and their cap will be sweet.

I’d be planting computer chips in Cartwrights cereal hoping his mrs gets spooked and forces him to bunker down. That or just plant a metal pole next to the training field and write 5g on it
Lol thanks for the laugh.

Crichton has been awesome this year. He also had an outstanding back half of 2019. The guy is a beast.

Sure he's no David Fifita, but who is? Only Kikau is his equal as an attacking edge backrower.

tumbidragon

First Grade
Why o why would you sign with the Titans for any sort of money with the ability he has. I get wanting out of the shithole that is Brisbane, but surely he could of gotten a decent enough deal playing for a successful Sydney club...

betcats

Referee
If you are going to make someone a crazy offer Fifita is a good choice. If he lives up even halfway to his potential he’s going to be something special, he already is really. The titans needed something and this kid has the potential to be a franchise changing player, a player that will attract other good players to them hopefully. Right now they are overpaying to get anyone to go there, they mas as well overpay a young star and hope he can bring some respectability to the club.

Dingo_dan

Juniors
Generally speaking, you're right. However, David Fifita is a rare talent. A freakishly talented gamebreaker with a big motor and giant frame yet can run like the wind with lateral movement rarely seen by the best outside backs. Forget what position he plays, the guy is a gamebreaker. Makes something out of nothing. A match winner.

A very different player to Taumalolo.

Not really. Early Taumalolo was the exact same type of player as Fifita, and probably showed a lot more at an early stage than fifita. It wasn't sustainable, so Taumololo was modelled into the perfect middle forward.

Fifita ain't anything new, we get rampaging young second rowers almost every year.

SDM

First Grade
How do teams sign our players when we don’t have a salary cap?

Aren’t the tits being propped up by the nrl?

This sucks but we have definitely asked for it. Forget Seibold I reckon it’s way past time that Paul white was launched. Can the tits take him in a package perhaps? Shit they already pay mal a shitload to do f**k all
It’s not about money anymore, they are leaving because your culture and club in general is shit.

aqua_duck

Coach
Not really. Early Taumalolo was the exact same type of player as Fifita, and probably showed a lot more at an early stage than fifita. It wasn't sustainable, so Taumololo was modelled into the perfect middle forward.

Fifita ain't anything new, we get rampaging young second rowers almost every year.
I think you've got an incorrect recollection of history. Not saying Fifita will be as good a player but Taumalolo was still in and out of 1st grade until 2014 when he was 21 and didn't make his debut for NZ till then. Fifita has been a 1st grade regular since he made his debut at 18 and made origin at 19. Honestly the only young forward I can remember with a similar career timeline was sonny bill

betcats

Referee

I think he’s a lot more than just a rampaging back rower.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Another factor that is always overlooked when rating all these young Broncos fowards is that there is this thing called "defence".

We all like to talk about what they can do with the ball, but seem to forget that they concede 40pts every 2nd week.

People want to constantly hang shit on Cordner & Crichton, but when the Storm & Raiders had all the ball in the 2nd halves of the Prelim & GF they did not break. Not for a single moment. And that's what wins Premierships.

I'm sure Fifita will vastly improve his all round game once he's in a better environment and culture at the Titans (hehe lol@Broncos) but we need to stop calling every young Broncos forward the best young talent ever until they learn to defend their line and play to a plan - rather than just make an awesome broken field run.

Pommy

Coach
I think you've got an incorrect recollection of history. Not saying Fifita will be as good a player but Taumalolo was still in and out of 1st grade until 2014 when he was 21 and didn't make his debut for NZ till then. Fifita has been a 1st grade regular since he made his debut at 18 and made origin at 19. Honestly the only young forward I can remember with a similar career timeline was sonny bill

Sam Burgess played for Bradford at 18; GreatBritain at 19 and then Souths at 21.

Dingo_dan

Juniors
Taumololo was just as rampaging as fifita was out wide at the same age.

Fifita has played about 5 amazing 15 minute spells and maybe 10 other games across his 37 first grade games so far. He has had just as many games where he has been invisible.
Taumololo was held accountable for those invisible games early in his career. Cowboys were contenders every year. Broncos don't quite have that, fifita is immune to being dropped because no one else is there.

We literally had Hess and Chricton doing what Fifita is doing just a few years ago. Dave taylor in his last year at the broncos. T-rex during manly's 2011 premiership. Even Cartwright, while being a different style of player, was hyped up as the big revolution in 2nd rowers in 2016. Sam Burgess came in a force of nature into the souths side after impressing for GB im 2009, it wasn't until 2014 that he achieved consistency.

Getting hyped by sporadic glimpses of Dominance in a young 2nd rower is frought with danger.

Latest posts