What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One to watch: Jason Saab

boardlumps62

Juniors
View attachment 40271Seems wiki knows things we do not..
Are there anti tampering laws to stop this kind of thing.
Well I can answer that if what I read is true.
The NRL have removed those laws so it's open slather?
How can you be under contract and ignore that contract if you get a better offer then switch club's. Seems a waste of time might as well find the gentlemen amongst the players and have a handshake agreement.
Soon they will change on a weekly basis!!!!!

getsmarty

Immortal
Don't blame Saab or Euan blame the silly six again crap. Can the captain make an appeal that's a no and i don't even understand what it's for.

Aitken made a number of crucial errors tonight....that has always been in his game...he has had 5 seasons to fix it up ( https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/2961347/aitken-the-centre-of-attention-in-debut/ )

I hope Williame is available....or give someone else a go....Personally I'd let him go at the end of the year... Warriors can have him...

Last edited:

FlameThrower

Bench
Saab, for someone wanting out and wanting to attract other teams, has been very average. He does not look energetic, engaged or even athletic. He actually looks a bit awkward at times, and will need a season or two to bulk up. But I don’t get the hype in this guy.

Last edited:

The Rosco

Bench
Looking, not trolling.
Sadly, contracts mean nothing today. Mitchell Moses and Ryan Flatterson both say hi.
And even more sadly, there's barely fkk all you can do about it.
If you dig your heels in "old school" and force him to honour his signature, he will just tank it and cost you games. Refer to Mitch again. Disrupt your team harmony and it'll be more trouble than what it's worth.
The way of the world today is that contracts mean nothing. Sad but true. Entitlement comes at a cost.
Good luck with compensation. Forget that you are "entitled" to it.
There will be no compensation. The best thing is to just lick your wounds, let him go, then get on with it.
Exactly the same as if a large Rotty want to hump your leg. Let him have his way, then just move on.
As a WT supporter, let me say I absolutely don't want him on our team. He runs like a baby giraffe, and looks like he'll break his leg in 3 places every time he gets tackled. Yes we need height and speed on our wing, but for the love of God . . . not him !!
And don't believe 10% of what you read in Wikipedia. You can type in your own Wiki bio if that's what floats your boat.
Good to see you guys playing better footy lately.

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL 2020: Jason Saab publicly accuses St George Illawarra of release backflip amid stalemate

Sporting News
3 hrs ago

Towering winger Jason Saab has gone public in his bid to force St George Illawarra’s hand and secure a release from the final season of his Dragons deal.

The young gun has been negotiating an early release from his Red V contract for several months.

Saab managed just four appearances for the Dragons in 2020, taking his career tally to seven NRL games since making his debut late in the 2019 season.

The 20-year-old has cited his 90-minute commute from western Sydney to Wollongong – not a lack of game time – as his motivation for seeking a release on compassionate grounds.

Saab was in September reportedly set to join the Manly Sea Eagles for the next three NRL seasons in a swap deal that would have sent Dragons junior Reuben Garrick home to Wollongong.

But a clearly frustrated Saab on Thursday told Channel 9 News the Dragons have backflipped on plans to release him following the appointment of new head coach Anthony Griffin on a two-year deal.

“What was meant to be max a two-month process has just dragged out over the whole year,” Saab told Channel 9 News.

“… I am hoping to move onto another club next year.

“… The Dragons want to be compensated for me so, we’ve been trying to do that and then ever since the new coach came in things have sort of changed on their end.”

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/new...f-release-backflip-amid-stalemate/ar-BB1aw1Da

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
Mona Vale Rd is still a ways off, unless he wants to double that daily commute..

Rather than waiting in the wings to rip in when given the albeit little chances he’s had, he’d rather whinge about arbitrary things that almost every other Sydneysider has to deal with. Surely there’s more to it than lack of game time and family reasons? At the same time what separates his situation from any other junior coming through? There would be countless instances of this happening across the league, I remember reading a story of Petero Civinoceva taking two busses and a train to get to donkey training.. that’s the kind of passion required in my eyes. Professional sport in general is an incredibly demanding profession, and sacrifices have to be made. I’m not doubting his ability, anybody who plays rugby league, especially top level rugby league is tough as nails but if he can’t deal with a few hardships like an extra hour in the car then he mightn’t have the intestinal fortitude required to be a professional sportsman

matPORTS

Juniors
NRL 2020: Jason Saab publicly accuses St George Illawarra of release backflip amid stalemate

Sporting News
3 hrs ago

Towering winger Jason Saab has gone public in his bid to force St George Illawarra’s hand and secure a release from the final season of his Dragons deal.

The young gun has been negotiating an early release from his Red V contract for several months.

Saab managed just four appearances for the Dragons in 2020, taking his career tally to seven NRL games since making his debut late in the 2019 season.

The 20-year-old has cited his 90-minute commute from western Sydney to Wollongong – not a lack of game time – as his motivation for seeking a release on compassionate grounds.

Saab was in September reportedly set to join the Manly Sea Eagles for the next three NRL seasons in a swap deal that would have sent Dragons junior Reuben Garrick home to Wollongong.

But a clearly frustrated Saab on Thursday told Channel 9 News the Dragons have backflipped on plans to release him following the appointment of new head coach Anthony Griffin on a two-year deal.

“What was meant to be max a two-month process has just dragged out over the whole year,” Saab told Channel 9 News.

“… I am hoping to move onto another club next year.

“… The Dragons want to be compensated for me so, we’ve been trying to do that and then ever since the new coach came in things have sort of changed on their end.”

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/new...f-release-backflip-amid-stalemate/ar-BB1aw1Da

Just read a snippet of this on Fox Sports.

Well yes, the bottom line is that Saab is under contract for a further two seasons, so therefore the club should be appropriately compensated in the event of any release/transfer.

Reading between the lines, it's good to see that Hook has also taken some control over the roster and has not been forced into any rash decisions since taking over.

denis preston

First Grade
Mona Vale Rd is still a ways off, unless he wants to double that daily commute..

Rather than waiting in the wings to rip in when given the albeit little chances he’s had, he’d rather whinge about arbitrary things that almost every other Sydneysider has to deal with. Surely there’s more to it than lack of game time and family reasons? At the same time what separates his situation from any other junior coming through? There would be countless instances of this happening across the league, I remember reading a story of Petero Civinoceva taking two busses and a train to get to donkey training.. that’s the kind of passion required in my eyes. Professional sport in general is an incredibly demanding profession, and sacrifices have to be made. I’m not doubting his ability, anybody who plays rugby league, especially top level rugby league is tough as nails but if he can’t deal with a few hardships like an extra hour in the car then he mightn’t have the intestinal fortitude required to be a professional sportsman

AND meanwhile we have Ramsey who gets up at 5AM & commutes to Sydney every day from Wollongong for work ! Good on Hook for playing hardball .Just don't think Garrick is what we need as a replacement.For a up & coming forward yes !

matPORTS

Juniors

Agreed.

Players also need to keep in the back of their minds that "they may not actually make it and have a career in the sport until their late-30s" ala Cam Smith. Prospective employers in the 'real world' would also be looking at this attitude. You could very easily be having to get two buses and a train from Western Sydney to go and help build or plumb that multi-million dollar development in the CBD or East, Jason!

I've no issue with him languishing in reserve grade for the next two years. Cody Ramsey & the Feagais, Schiller, etc I'm sure will happily take the first grade spots on offer.

It shits me off reading this type of stuff.
Get out in the real world Jason and find out what the “average Joe” does at times to earn an income and provide for a family.
Some of us are lucky that we work very close to where we live, some even have flexibility to work from home, some have to drive over an hour each way to earn a pay check. Heck some even have to drive over 4 hours to work ten days straight (long days too) and then drive home for five days off however are away from home for extended periods.
Then we have some that bust there ass and make it work for there footy Club which shows the great character and ethic to be successful.
One the flip side we have self entitled individuals who get paid well but still aren’t happy all because they have to set an early alarm and travel from western Sydney to Wollongong.
Shit, I would drive from up here in Brisbane to Wollongong each day if it meant playing for our great Club and having an opportunity to showcase what I can do as a footy player but also as a young person.
Grow up young fella, be accountable for your contract, your decisions, your playing ability, your seven games thus far.
99% of the population would kill for the contract and opportunity you currently have.
My advice, train hard and show what u can do to the new Coaching staff. If u r as good as u think u are then it’s only a matter of time as your work ethic will demand selection.
Option B is p!ss him off now to Brookvale, enjoy playing at the Dog Park each fortnight.

Gareth67

First Grade
Ungrateful whining little sod ! Why in my day when I was young I had to walk a good 2 mile on a dirt road so as to get a ride on my best mate Cyril’s horse ( and we had no flaming saddle neither , that then took us the best part of an hour - on Wednesday an hour and a half as we stopped at the creek to have our weekly wash - with Sunlight soap of course ) just to get to school . And nobody was paying us a damn penny to do it , but we done it as we knew that was the unly wey to bacume edewkated !

However back to Saab , a most disappointing attitude. There is more at play here than meets the eye , I would love to know just how much - or what Manly are offering him to pull on their jersey.

If this young bloke was truly genuine then he would at least give Griffin a chance as he would certainly develop into a far better player than he would had under Mary .

Last edited:

kit66

Bench
What a tosser

I hope you're referring to whoever at Fox it was that wrote the story and headline. They've printed 3 supposed quotes from Saab in that story and all look like just facts, no whinging or whining, Fox added the rest to make a big story. The kid's probably a bit frustrated anyway which is understandable if Dragons have actually done a backflip. Fox are 90% bs at the best of times.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Got to wait for Hook. He would need to have a say on whether or not he is worth keeping or to let him go to Manly for some coin if Garrick isn't wanted as a swap. If Saab's heart is not to play for us then I say just flick him because he would be too much trouble with his constant whinging.