What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

David Fifita is a Titan

mongoose

Coach
Taumololo was just as rampaging as fifita was out wide at the same age.

Fifita has played about 5 amazing 15 minute spells and maybe 10 other games across his 37 first grade games so far. He has had just as many games where he has been invisible.
Taumololo was held accountable for those invisible games early in his career. Cowboys were contenders every year. Broncos don't quite have that, fifita is immune to being dropped because no one else is there.

We literally had Hess and Chricton doing what Fifita is doing just a few years ago. Dave taylor in his last year at the broncos. T-rex during manly's 2011 premiership. Even Cartwright, while being a different style of player, was hyped up as the big revolution in 2nd rowers in 2016. Sam Burgess came in a force of nature into the souths side after impressing for GB im 2009, it wasn't until 2014 that he achieved consistency.

Getting hyped by sporadic glimpses of Dominance in a young 2nd rower is frought with danger.

Fafita looks more like a SBW or Taumololo type prospect than Coen Hess or Crichton.. but we will wait and see...

THE CHAMP

First Grade
It’s not about money anymore, they are leaving because your culture and club in general is shit.

It’s not about money? Seriously?

Why throw that much at him then?

We are definitely a steaming pile of shit at the moment but don’t give be that rubbish

Tommy Smith

Referee
Signed till 2022, he’s going to huge get offers for sure.
And he'll be 27 so it'll likely be his one and only chance for a "life changing deal". Wouldn't blame him at all for taking the highest offer on the table.

Someone will throw him a 4yr 3.5m or so deal. Hopefully that's Penrith.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
Another factor that is always overlooked when rating all these young Broncos fowards is that there is this thing called "defence".

We all like to talk about what they can do with the ball, but seem to forget that they concede 40pts every 2nd week.

People want to constantly hang shit on Cordner & Crichton, but when the Storm & Raiders had all the ball in the 2nd halves of the Prelim & GF they did not break. Not for a single moment. And that's what wins Premierships.

I'm sure Fifita will vastly improve his all round game once he's in a better environment and culture at the Titans (hehe lol@Broncos) but we need to stop calling every young Broncos forward the best young talent ever until they learn to defend their line and play to a plan - rather than just make an awesome broken field run.

Excellent post Tommy. Well until the last sentence. Seibold doesn't have a game plan.

The_Frog

First Grade
And he'll be 27 so it'll likely be his one and only chance for a "life changing deal". Wouldn't blame him at all for taking the highest offer on the table.

Someone will throw him a 4yr 3.5m or so deal. Hopefully that's Penrith.
Hasn't reached his potential yet IMHO.

Xcalibre

Juniors
I swear people have short memories.

Chricton and hess looked like Taumololo and SBW type prospects just 3 years ago...

No, (smart rugby league) people have accurate memories. Fifita is unlike any of those players. Hess made his name from simple bash and barge over tries. He never had an ounce of the talent Fifita has. The latter has footwork of a good back for a start. None of those you’re comparing him to, have that. I doubt any are as quick. When Fifita makes a break, he scores or sets it up.

Fifita is like a half back, in the body of a hybrid back rower/centre.

Him and Lolo are are on a different level to any other back rowers. Kikau isn’t even close to their level.

Dingo_dan

Juniors
No, (smart rugby league) people have accurate memories. Fifita is unlike any of those players. Hess made his name from simple bash and barge over tries. He never had an ounce of the talent Fifita has. The latter has footwork of a good back for a start. None of those you’re comparing him to, have that. I doubt any are as quick. When Fifita makes a break, he scores or sets it up.

Fifita is like a half back, in the body of a hybrid back rower/centre.

Him and Lolo are are on a different level to any other back rowers. Kikau isn’t even close to their level.

Fifita is like a halfback? Wow?

Chricton was so dominate in spells in 2017 that the roosters offered him a massive deal for 2019, knowing they wouldn't get him for a whole season.

Hess was so dominant to kick off 2017. He scored 10 tries in 13 games including 3 doubles, and was rushed into the Queensland side (when Queensland was a hard side to crack into).

Fifita is good, but the hype for him is crazy. He has made maybe half a dozen massive runs in 4 or 5 games to end 2019, but he went missing in quite a few end of season games as well. What he has shown so far isn't anything more than many Boom second rowers have shown in the past.

davi

Juniors
Wow. All the stars seem to be aligning for the Titans. Bryce Cartwright quitting the Titans for personal reasons. Titans would be happy to get him off the books a year early. Cartwright admitted two weeks ago his knees are shot. While it may be the last with seen of him at the Titans, its possible the NRL as well.

Bryce Cartwright set to quit Gold Coast Titans club as he weighs up his future in the NRL

Maligned Titans forward Bryce Cartwright is on the verge of quitting the Gold Coast club as he weighs up his future in the NRL.

News Corp can reveal Cartwright is seeking a release from his contract at the Titans to return to Sydney for personal reasons.

Cartwright was a notable omission from the Titans team for last week’s loss to Melbourne and will not face his former club Penrith on Sunday afternoon at Cbus Super Stadium.

It is understood Cartwright has returned to Sydney with his family and may have played his last game for the Titans.

The Titans will also this week finalise a release for $2.4 million flop Shannon Boyd to leave the club.

Boyd has only made one NRL appearance this year and is planning to retire and work in a family business.

The departures of Boyd and possibly Cartwright, along with captain Ryan James’ move to Canberra next year, has freed up significant salary cap space for the Titans.

That allowed the club to secure the signature of boom Broncos forward David Fifita on Saturday on a three-year contract worth $3.5 million.

Cartwright was released by the Panthers to join the Titans in 2018 under former coach Garth Brennan, who was an assistant at Penrith and held a close bond with Cartwright.

He has failed to find any genuine consistent form in 43 games for the Gold Coast and is likely to depart immediately despite being contracted until the end of the 2021 season.

Cartwright, 25, burst onto the NRL scene in 2014 and was talked about as a potential NSW Origin star.

But his defensive efforts have regularly been criticised and it is believed his love for the game has waned in recent years.

Cartwright told News Corp a fortnight ago, in the lead-up to his final game, that he wondered how much longer he could play on for.

“I do worry about how much longer I can keep going,” he said.

“I had a meniscus tear when I was 15 and the surgeon scraped out all the cartilage. Then two years ago, I did the meniscus in my other knee. Since then, it’s been bone-on-bone.

“The critics don’t see what you go through. Two weeks ago, I had to get my knees drained. I had 100ml of fluid taken out. My knees swell up and I have to get it drained all the time. That’s the price some players pay in this game.

“We get paid good money, but it’s not an easy ride.

“It’s hard mentally on me at times. But I always believe in never giving up. I will battle as long as I can until I retire.

“What keeps me going is the feeling I haven’t reached my best.

“I do get disappointed at my inconsistency and I want to get back to playing the football I know I can. I want to repay the Titans for giving me a chance after I left Penrith.”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...l/news-story/916afc8839d057628733ec9aebc91700

Latest posts