What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Defence issue

coolumsharkie

Referee
Ok, I actually thought our defense in the middle was much much better. We have issues on the flanks for a few reasons the big one injuries to key players and the other ishew is inexperience. Katoa and Ramien stand out in a full squad if it ever happens, but they are improving.

Ads

First Grade
We have sacrificed good defence from the Flanno era to good attack, which a lot of us wanted.

We had the base to build from. No reason we couldn’t keep our defensive structures in tact and improve our attack. Shouldn’t be one or the other really.

Frailty

First Grade
Ok, I actually thought our defense in the middle was much much better. We have issues on the flanks for a few reasons the big one injuries to key players and the other ishew is inexperience. Katoa and Ramien stand out in a full squad if it ever happens, but they are improving.

Don't get me wrong. We aren't really conceding a lot in the centre of the field, but they're aren't stopping momentum. The edges (particularly the left edge) are where we are regularly getting pulled apart.

Don't know if it really is a coaching issue. Players like Townsend and Graham should have a better idea than they do. Goodwin is just not a centre.

Chimp

Bench
I think it’s the lack of pace off the mark that is causing our issues down the left hand side - both Chad and Wade appear to have lead boots in terms of speed off the mark, and they’re getting burned regularly - having them side by side is providing a huge target for teams with any speed - throw in Goodwin to the edge and you’ve got 3 players who if they get the defensive read just slightly wrong (which happens to all players regularly), don’t have the pace to cover their mis-read. Most players can get their initial read wrong, but still have the pace to adjust.

carinashark

First Grade
Wade was good against the Dragons. But looks to be caring an injury of some kind, he is not what he was.He can still hit hard when he wants to though. I don’t think we will see Goodwin in the side again. Tracy has to take over the 7.We are building a pretty handy side, but we can only go so far with what we have.

ghoti

Bench
To explain his performance or so he can drop out?

I just want him to get better.

I want him to get his shit together for this season since there's no one better or proven to replace him.. if he can stop falling over, stop throwing the hospital passes and focus on service and game management he'll pair well with Johnson and Moylan (if he gets his legs right). Can't see the club going to market next year for halves but an investment in Tracey and Trindall hopefully gets them closer to challenge for the 7

myrrh ken

First Grade
I want him to get his shit together for this season since there's no one better or proven to replace him.. if he can stop falling over, stop throwing the hospital passes and focus on service and game management he'll pair well with Johnson and Moylan (if he gets his legs right). Can't see the club going to market next year for halves but an investment in Tracey and Trindall hopefully gets them closer to challenge for the 7

Yep its better for mental health to just accept that he's rusted on to the team - Robbo 2.0.

Just dish the pill and stay out of the way like in the 2016 gf.

ghoti

Bench
Yep its better for mental health to just accept that he's rusted on to the team - Robbo 2.0.

Just dish the pill and stay out of the way like in the 2016 gf.

I have noticed this year that he's been coached out of some bad habits (he still slips into them on occasion). Around round 3-4 his telegraphed inside balls were replaced by more urgent plays, looking to outside options, dummying outside before turning inside etc. When he gets tired he falls back in the telegraphed sitter for the defence but it was f**king refreshing to see a change...

Seriously wtf is going on here?

Our defence is seriously pathetic.

I suppose we got to take the Newtown defence as well as the attack?

Wozza

Juniors
Seriously wtf is going on here?

Our defence is seriously pathetic.

I suppose we got to take the Newtown defence as well as the attack?
4 of the last 5 tries scored against us are barge overs close to the ruck. This highlights a few things. No communication at marker, poor tackling technique and lazy defenders and a fullback who is clueless in defence. Nearly everyone of these tries Kennedy is bludging in goal and not getting involved in the defence until its way too late and can't effect anything to stop the try. If we defend like this again next week look forward to another thumping by Penrith.

Latest posts