What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Debelin could be back in 17 as early as next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

The calm one

Juniors
Can't say I agree with you on this one Gareth.

Whether he is playing or not playing JDB is entitled to negotiate his future as he sees fit and when he sees fit.

The angst some fans are feeling is all created by the club
who decided by its own volition the course of action it has taken since this issue first arose.

We were less than forthright and poor professionally in all our dealings with the NRL and we lived in fairy land thinking this would all be over quickly.

We had options and as usual it is obvious as a club we chose the options with the poorest outcomes for the club.
Question,
This is his last year with the dragons. He is on full pay.
His contract expires at the end of the year.
If his court case is still going and he still not allowed to play. No one will give him a contract.
If all of the above is correct. What does he do for an income next year. ???

Dragon David

First Grade
The longer this case plays out, JDB's future at any club is uncertain. Who knows what the outcome in this will be? It's been going on for such a long time that I find it amazing to see that other clubs are looking at signing him up, even on overs, at this time when there is just no knowledge when a decision will be made either by the NRL to let him play until the legal matters have sorted themselves out or the matter is set for trial and possible more delays there.

As they say, how long is a piece of string? We cannot rely on JDB being able to play. Just get on with recruiting or better still get the current crop geared to improve overall whether with Flanno or whomever, but not Mary.

I tend to see it Gareth’s way.

Sgi has gone above and beyond any known tolerance and support for a player who stands accused of a very serious indictable offence.

(Sex crimes stand just one rung above rock spidering in the gaol system. They have to seperate these people because other prisoners aren’t overly friendly)

So too, most of the playing group have done their best to understand and help in any way.

A lot of people gave unqualified support for him personally, even against their usual ethical considerations, even where he remains innocent at this time.

Players threatened to strike for him, officials went to court and everyone was seen with him.

It could be argued his welfare was put above the comfort of others in many different ways. No other player so accused of any crime has been treated as well as he has. Bloody bj turned up at court to hold his hand and have photos taken with him. That’s the highest level of support possible. It is a very big deal symbolically.

That the club should seek some kind of personal acknowledgment and recognition from him as to these sacrifices, over and above his own short term self interest is understandable.

He should be chomping at the bit to repay the enormous faith and respect people offered him in the hardest time of his life. Even if he’s found not guilty, a group of people will never be satisfied with that. If he gets off on a technicality, that justifies their stance.

He should be guided by his conscience on the issue. It’s about time he walked the walk.

I’m sick and tired of selfish players and their blood sucking agents. The truth of the game is that thousands of people go unpaid and barely thanked to deliver the product. It’s not about just money, it never was. The buck in the game rests upon the sacrifice of the heroes squarely behind the scenes. Especially all the effort in the juniors, without which, no nrl whatsoever. I’m talking mums washing jerseys, transport costs, fundraisers, unpaid officials etc.

I stood up for him, by f**k I’m regretting it now.

He wants to be seen as a flog for the rest of his life by the entire game, he can wear it.

If he’s serious about his selfishness, than so far as I am concerned he can bloody well be convicted on a technicality. Actually, that’s a bit too much, but you get me. P

If found innocent and signs for money elsewhere, his name should be erased from all club records and his image deleted from all official photographs.

It’s an insult that cannot be free of repercussions. When he plays you, he will get the matterson treatment, but not get up for two months.

BB29407A-7389-45F4-A0DB-145D0DC74203.jpeg

Anyway, it’s a bit upsetting that he’s apparently out on the sly whispering to other clubs.

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
Can't say I agree with you on this one Gareth.

Whether he is playing or not playing JDB is entitled to negotiate his future as he sees fit and when he sees fit.

The angst some fans are feeling is all created by the club
who decided by its own volition the course of action it has taken since this issue first arose.

We were less than forthright and poor professionally in all our dealings with the NRL and we lived in fairy land thinking this would all be over quickly.

We had options and as usual it is obvious as a club we chose the options with the poorest outcomes for the club.

Undoubtedly so in as much as the J.V’s handling of the situation , however the angst that was caused by this affair as far as his teammates were concerned , cannot just be brushed aside and to say that it was caused by the club is incorrect - after all it was not the club that had received a summons to front court .

And yes he certainly does have the right to look after himself ( perhaps a bad choice of words in this instance ? ) , as to that I can only say that he should had done so when this sorry business first occurred .

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
Question,
If his court case is still going and he still not allowed to play. No one will give him a contract.

That's something you will need to ask Jack and his defence / management teams.

Cases of this gravity take time. Yes often years. To date he has been on full pay and is in a position to afford good counsel, something most of us wouldn't have the luxury of.

Dragon David

First Grade
I tend to see it Gareth’s way.

Sgi has gone above and beyond any known tolerance and support for a player who stands accused of a very serious indictable offence.

(Sex crimes stand just one rung above rock spidering in the gaol system. They have to seperate these people because other prisoners aren’t overly friendly)

So too, most of the playing group have done their best to understand and help in any way.

A lot of people gave unqualified support for him personally, even against their usual ethical considerations, even where he remains innocent at this time.

Players threatened to strike for him, officials went to court and everyone was seen with him.

It could be argued his welfare was put above the comfort of others in many different ways. No other player so accused of any crime has been treated as well as he has. Bloody bj turned up at court to hold his hand and have photos taken with him. That’s the highest level of support possible. It is a very big deal symbolically.

That the club should seek some kind of personal acknowledgment and recognition from him as to these sacrifices, over and above his own short term self interest is understandable.

He should be chomping at the bit to repay the enormous faith and respect people offered him in the hardest time of his life. Even if he’s found not guilty, a group of people will never be satisfied with that. If he gets off on a technicality, that justifies their stance.

He should be guided by his conscience on the issue. It’s about time he walked the walk.

I’m sick and tired of selfish players and their blood sucking agents. The truth of the game is that thousands of people go unpaid and barely thanked to deliver the product. It’s not about just money, it never was. The buck in the game rests upon the sacrifice of the heroes squarely behind the scenes. Especially all the effort in the juniors, without which, no nrl whatsoever. I’m talking mums washing jerseys, transport costs, fundraisers, unpaid officials etc.

I stood up for him, by f**k I’m regretting it now.

He wants to be seen as a flog for the rest of his life by the entire game, he can wear it.

If he’s serious about his selfishness, than so far as I am concerned he can bloody well be convicted on a technicality. Actually, that’s a bit too much, but you get me. P

If found innocent and signs for money elsewhere, his name should be erased from all club records and his image deleted from all official photographs.

It’s an insult that cannot be free of repercussions. When he plays you, he will get the matterson treatment, but not get up for two months.

View attachment 40287

Anyway, it’s a bit upsetting that he’s apparently out on the sly whispering to other clubs.
If he is whispering, do you think that he feels that he will get off?

Old Timer

Coach
Question,
No different to any other player who leaves the code due to retirement, injury or having his contract torn up.

Plenty of alternatives just in another industry.

Crush

Coach
Saints were legally obligated to stand by JDB, it wasn't necessarily by choice.
They had to keep him on their books and continue paying him or they would have left themselves open to unfair dismissal etc.
If he signs with another club then I don't really think the Saints can be too upset, it is what it is.

TruSaint

Referee
They were obliged to pay him.
As you say, a court decision could have ended up costing the Club more in unfair dismissal.

They didn't need to keep him in the spotlight and training.
They didn't need to send out the coach professing the players innocence.

It was JDB's legal team that did not challenge the stand down rule, after saying they would.
I'm over the whole saga.

As long as justice is served, either way, I will be content.

The calm one

Juniors
That's something you will need to ask Jack and his defence / management teams.

Cases of this gravity take time. Yes often years. To date he has been on full pay and is in a position to afford good counsel, something most of us wouldn't have the luxury of.
I don't want to be argumentive but at the end of year he is on his own. I fully appreciate that he would have to work like the rest of us but with this hanging over his head, employment would be difficult. So if court went another 2 years, and he is still not proven of anything (not say he is innocent), if you were in his shoes wouldn't you be pissed. I would be. What he could have been earning compared to what he would be earning, if he can get a job would be incredible and still not proven guilty of anything.

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
I wonder if De Belin was a Roosters player, would the NRL have come up with a differnct policy towards the player and the club.

Oh possum , I must say that I am surprised at you , just what is it you are suggesting - that the powers to be would show favoritism to one particular club and not another ? :flushed:

Old Timer

Coach
I don't want to be argumentive but at the end of year he is on his own. I fully appreciate that he would have to work like the rest of us but with this hanging over his head, employment would be difficult. So if court went another 2 years, and he is still not proven of anything (not say he is innocent), if you were in his shoes wouldn't you be pissed. I would be. What he could have been earning compared to what he would be earning, if he can get a job would be incredible and still not proven guilty of anything.
If he is found not guilty or the charges are dropped then he may emphasis on may still have some opportunity to take the NRL to court re their ruling.
However things to consider there are
  • Nobody knows what clauses exist in the NRL contracts with the clubs and players and whether he in actuality fell foul of any contractual obligations.
  • JDB had the opportunity to take the NRL on re the stand down policy and he did not avail himself of that opportunity.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Status
Not open for further replies.