What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd 11 2020: Non Parra Games

hindy111

Post Whore
Looking forward to Gould’s article tomorrow challenging the Roosters, Knights and Panthers’ mental toughness.

Injury ravaged Eels go down by 2 to an injury ravaged Manly = mentally weak

Injury ravaged Panthers go within a bees dick of losing to basically a NSW Cup side in the Titans = tough gritty performance and in full control of the game.

The guy is a dead shit.

Looking forward to Gould’s article tomorrow challenging the Roosters, Knights and Panthers’ mental toughness.

Injury ravaged Eels go down by 2 to an injury ravaged Manly = mentally weak

Injury ravaged Panthers go within a bees dick of losing to basically a NSW Cup side in the Titans = tough gritty performance and in full control of the game.

The guy is a dead shit.

I thought Panthers mostly looked in co trolls the whole 2nd half.

Suitman

Post Whore
Well, not quite. A pass legally can go forward in the sense of travelling towards the opposition goal (under the 'momentum' 'direction of the hands' stuff). If you're running at 5m/second a lot of passes to support will go forward relative to the oppositions try line. But offside is much simpler. If the bloke ultimately touching the ball was in front of the last team mate to touch the ball he's offside (as long an he is not in his own in-goal).

I understand that as well.
I also am well aware of the momentum forward from a pass, which I have no problem with as that is an actual thing and is correct.

Which rule are you questioning?

In terms of the forward pass rule, where the passer ends up is irrelevant. He could get smashed a millisecond after throwing the pass. If he threw the ball backwards relative to his own motion he's ok.

In terms of the offside rule, yes the last person to touch the ball can put the other guy onside by moving in front of him (most usually from a kick).
I thought you were saying that a pass from a player that is legal but floats forward and is caught in front of the passer - who might have been stopped in his tracks just after the pass - would be a penalty due to offside.

I understand that as well.
I also am well aware of the momentum forward from a pass, which I have no problem with as that is an actual thing and is correct.

Sure. I think the bigger practical issue is whether the forward pass creates an advantage relative to a lateral / backwards pass. I don't really give a shit about a marginally forward pass to an unmarked winger. However, passes further infield where a playmaker holds the pass up to the last second and then throw it forward make it impossible for the defence...they can't legally hit the runner until he has the ball.

Suitman

Post Whore
Sure. I think the bigger practical issue is whether the forward pass creates an advantage relative to a lateral / backwards pass. I don't really give a shit about a marginally forward pass to an unmarked winger. However, passes further infield where a playmaker holds the pass up to the last second and then throw it forward make it impossible for the defence...they can't legally hit the runner until he has the ball.

Agree with all of that, but that wasn't the issue we were discussing. Don't become Pou.

Watching Big League Wrap and Hooper saying that a big mistake that happens early in the game is less important than it happening later. I think that's rubbish.

Suitman

Post Whore
Watching Big League Wrap and Hooper saying that a big mistake that happens early in the game is less important than it happening later. I think that's rubbish.

And you are completely correct. 6 points is worth the same in the first minute as it is in the last minute. Pressure may be an issue later in the game, but it is what it is. 6 points.

Suitman

Post Whore
Yea I know. And there is no way that straight lines can determine if passes are forward under the current laws of rugby league.

That's cool mate. Maybe we need to change the laws. Or maybe we don't.
You and I, and most viewers can generally pick a forward pass. Whether back out of the hands and floats forward (no forward pass) or whether it is actually thrown forward from the hands. We can also generally see whether a player is off side or not.
It's not rocket science and it is why we are having this debate, because the bunker seems to f**k it up so many times.
Sure, there will be differences in opinion with the fine line decisions. I'm ok with the close ones to go either way.
My original point was yes, we can call an off side. No can't on passes. Both rely on decisions based on what is one thing in front of the other. (Previous discussions re ball floating forward excepted)
It doesn't make sense to me.

Noise

Coach
That's cool mate. Maybe we need to change the laws. Or maybe we don't.
You and I, and most viewers can generally pick a forward pass. Whether back out of the hands and floats forward (no forward pass) or whether it is actually thrown forward from the hands. We can also generally see whether a player is off side or not.
It's not rocket science and it is why we are having this debate, because the bunker seems to f**k it up so many times.
Sure, there will be differences in opinion with the fine line decisions. I'm ok with the close ones to go either way.
My original point was yes, we can call an off side. No can't on passes. Both rely on decisions based on what is one thing in front of the other. (Previous discussions re ball floating forward excepted)
It doesn't make sense to me.
Yep, agree with all that regarding forward passes, except it is the refs and touchies who f**k it up so many times, not the bunker (as they can't rule on them). Most NRL refs and touchies haven't played much footy (they grew up as refs) and they don't have the greatest feel for the game.

T.S Quint

Coach
And you are completely correct. 6 points is worth the same in the first minute as it is in the last minute. Pressure may be an issue later in the game, but it is what it is. 6 points.

Thats mostly true, but I do think there are instances when it’s not.
A mistake in the first minute can be pretty awful as evidenced by the Eels two weeks ago. George Jennings drops it cold in the first minute. We let in a try straight after and we never really recover from that.
However, we did actually have enough time to recover if we were good enough.
Take Ben Hunt’s drop from the kickoff in extra time in the 2015 GF. He makes the mistake but there is no chance for the Broncos to recover. That is a much worse mistake than George Jennings’.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Jai Arrow has been has been charged with a Grade 4 reckless haircut.

b94d2861848a8d060991358a74a30410

Suitman

Post Whore
Yep, agree with all that regarding forward passes, except it is the refs and touchies who f**k it up so many times, not the bunker (as they can't rule on them). Most NRL refs and touchies haven't played much footy (they grew up as refs) and they don't have the greatest feel for the game.

Yep. That has always been a problem. Luke Patton however, should know better as he has played the game.
The match review committee is no better. Former players on that and they continually make such extraordinary decisions. The mind boggles.

Suitman

Post Whore
Thats mostly true, but I do think there are instances when it’s not.
A mistake in the first minute can be pretty awful as evidenced by the Eels two weeks ago. George Jennings drops it cold in the first minute. We let in a try straight after and we never really recover from that.
However, we did actually have enough time to recover if we were good enough.
Take Ben Hunt’s drop from the kickoff in extra time in the 2015 GF. He makes the mistake but there is no chance for the Broncos to recover. That is a much worse mistake than George Jennings’.

Yep, that's true too. I agree.
There are generally extraordinary circumstances to debunk my example.