What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Suitman

Post Whore
There is, but the states/territories also need to the come to the party, and unfortunately ours isn't willing to as yet.

It also doesn't help when we're a safe political seat at both territory and federal level, and neither does the Brumbies' crowds being in free fall or missing out on an A-League license.

Fair enough, and I agree.
It's just a bit sad that the nations capital can't make the most of this opportunity and build something in the city - which they could. It would be such a massive boost to what is otherwise a basically dull area. Geez, If Dunedin can do it, surely Canberra can.
3 rectangular sporting teams would have it 12 months of the year use. I'm sure if it was built, an A-League football team would also end up there.

unforgiven

Bench
The greatest RL nursery in the world doesn’t deserve a stadium because it doesn’t support other sports? That sounds logical.
I'd agree with you if the NRL was funding the stadium, but they aren't. Penrith stadium as it is is perfectly fine for any junior games?

forby

Juniors
I'd agree with you if the NRL was funding the stadium, but they aren't. Penrith stadium as it is is perfectly fine for any junior games?

But it is for NRL games!
Before you say play at BankWest it is 36 km away.
Shark Park is 37 km from BankWest, but I don’t hear anybody saying they should be playing there!
Brookvale is 19 km from Allianz, they can play there.
Leichhardt is 10 km away, same deal.

Penrith deserves a stadium upgrade before any other club in Sydney. It does more for RL development than anybody.

But it is for NRL games!
Shark Park is 37 km from BankWest, but I don’t hear anybody saying they should be playing there!

Penrith deserves a stadium upgrade before any other club in Sydney. It does more for RL development than anybody.

I’m not trying to be facetious here but despite the similarities in distance, is it easier to get to Bank West from Penrith than from Cronulla? Sydney isn’t built on a grid unlike most cities and Penrith fans at least have the M4? Would a single train service get you there? I’d assume Cronulla fans would have a couple stops/changes in between? Is it difficult for Pennies fans to get to is what I’m asking. I’ve never made the trip from either end so genuinely asking.

greenBV4

Bench
I don't think many are trying to argue that Penrith isn't an important RL ground, but as its been pointed out, its not the NRL paying for and building stadiums, its the state government, and they aren't going to shell out for a stadium only used by 1 club in 1 code

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
the problem with it is it suggests every ‘tEnANt’ is the same. same crowds, same amount of games, same geography, same population area, same sustainability, same growth. just a vague measurement of benefit of a new stadium to an area. if you’re gonna argue against something go into detail. to quote abraham lincoln, get deeper bitches

I don't think many are trying to argue that Penrith isn't an important RL ground, but as its been pointed out, its not the NRL paying for and building stadiums, its the state government, and they aren't going to shell out for a stadium only used by 1 club in 1 code
Excatly
It's not rocket science .

Jamberoo

Juniors
10-15k doesn’t pay the bills. Especially if tv deal is lower in future years.
Not true.
The higher cost of building, maintaining and operating a 30k stadium that is half full every week would be far less profitable than a 18k stadium averaging 15k. The most profitable stadium in the AFL is one of the smallest - Geelong.

the problem with it is it suggests every ‘tEnANt’ is the same. same crowds, same amount of games, same geography, same population area, same sustainability, same growth. just a vague measurement of benefit of a new stadium to an area. if you’re gonna argue against something go into detail. to quote abraham lincoln, get deeper bitches

I’m not against any ground getting an upgrade. Just asking questions to get a handle on what people are thinking.

Parramatta is seen as a business and cultural hub. With two to four footy teams including Wanderers giving it year ‘round use and Parra’s membership numbers, I can imagine how the bean counters could be persuaded to green light Bank West in spite of its proximity to Homebush.

I imagine Cowboys went the tourism route given they’re the only tenant.

I assume the people who control the purse strings would prefer the parties seeking funding to be the ones offering the detail, an argument that stands up to scrutiny cos they’ll always have the ‘there’s no money’ argument.

I’d like to see every ground get an upgrade. Anything that helps boost crowds is welcome.

To maximise revenue, clubs want grounds which have better than adequate corporate facilities, as that is their big revenue stream, not general gate takings. That is the reason why so many clubs, like the wests Tigers (for example) don't like playing too many games at Leichhardt Oval is because the facilities available for corporate entertainment are terrible. Corporate sponsors are not going to outlay thousands of dollars a year to sit on a flip bucket seat, in the open, with an eksy next to them and a luke warm pie served in a bag.

Even clubs which get a lot of supporters thru the gates, like Newcastle and Souths, realise how important corporate facilities are to their overall revenue streams. That is one of the problem for a number of the suburban grounds is that along with poor facilities for the regular attendee, the facilities for entertaining corporate supporters is all but non-existent.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not true.
The higher cost of building, maintaining and operating a 30k stadium that is half full every week would be far less profitable than a 18k stadium averaging 15k. The most profitable stadium in the AFL is one of the smallest - Geelong.

you think Geelong make more profit than clubs in say Optus stadium??
And if all we can ever achieve is 15k crowds then yep you’d have a point, but are we really saying we have no faith in our product to be able to sell it to more customers?
We have seen with melbourne, and eels already, and hopefully NQ in the futures that we can aim for 20k plus crowds in quality venues with the capacity to fit them in.

unforgiven

Bench
But it is for NRL games!

You used the fact it has the biggest juniors as a reason it should be updated, that has no impact in why a stadium should get upgraded. It has one tenant and that leaves it dead in the water, I could accept it getting a new Eastern Stand but nothing else. There is not one logical reason to build a new stadium in Penrith and the fact you keep raising juniors shows that.

No money should be spent by the NSW Government on single tenant facilities.

unforgiven

Bench
I’m not trying to be facetious here but despite the similarities in distance, is it easier to get to Bank West from Penrith than from Cronulla? Sydney isn’t built on a grid unlike most cities and Penrith fans at least have the M4? Would a single train service get you there? I’d assume Cronulla fans would have a couple stops/changes in between? Is it difficult for Pennies fans to get to is what I’m asking. I’ve never made the trip from either end so genuinely asking.
Its a 25 min drive and about the same on the train.

Jamberoo

Juniors
you think Geelong make more profit than clubs in say Optus stadium??
And if all we can ever achieve is 15k crowds then yep you’d have a point, but are we really saying we have no faith in our product to be able to sell it to more customers?
We have seen with melbourne, and eels already, and hopefully NQ in the futures that we can aim for 20k plus crowds in quality venues with the capacity to fit them in.
To demonstrate the economics of stadiums...
30k at Geelong makes them more than $600k. 30k at Optus every week might break even. Contraction for a stadium twice as big is twice as much. The overheads for a stadium twice as big are twice as much. If you are currently averaging crowds of 12k (Manly, Penrith), you do not build a 30k stadium. You build 18k - 20k and watch the average increase to 15k - 16k. That would be 25% up and a good result.