What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will be the Warriors new coach?

Cold Roses

Juniors
Flanagan coming from left field wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest at the moment. Just depends whether it could be maneuvered for next year or would have to wait to the following one. Didn’t Robinson mention something about a senior figure with a year to run on his contract?

Flanagan coming from left field wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest at the moment. Just depends whether it could be maneuvered for next year or would have to wait to the following one. Didn’t Robinson mention something about a senior figure with a year to run on his contract?

I'd be stoked with Flannigan. Though isn't he going to be Mary's replacement once they finally biff him?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Toovey came close (2nd I think) to SK the last time around.

Besides 4 years. What has changed this time around to not even qualify for an interview?

There must be something on Toovs that we the public don't know about or these clowns are inept.

I am going with the latter.

Why oh why do we get worse owners and management each time?

Was actually phoned and told he had the job one day, and the next day received a call saying they had changed their mind. Amazed he even applied again tbh after that treatment

Rich102

Staff member
I thought that was Iro.

Cold Roses

Juniors
I'd be stoked with Flannigan. Though isn't he going to be Mary's replacement once they finally biff him?

That’s the general thought, but the media are also saying that Fitzgibbon is holding out for the St George job. And despite all the talk of him being on shaky ground, Mary seems like Teflon at the moment. Wouldn’t surprise me if he was still there in 3 years.

Big Marn

Juniors
Is anyone else getting a whiff of Matt Elliott with this process? The best interviewee gets the job again but not necessarily the best person for the job.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Is anyone else getting a whiff of Matt Elliott with this process? The best interviewee gets the job again but not necessarily the best person for the job.

My gut feel now is that they go with Payten or the Walkers for a year and if they don’t produce have a look at a Flanagan or Fitzgibbon

Impossible to build anything in a year though with the tools they will be given

Cold Roses

Juniors
Courier Mail reporting Walker bros are out of contention.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...b/news-story/875f48008b7634ddee9dc9eed5eb40c4

New Zealand Warriors coach: Walker brothers overlooked for job
The Warriors have informed Ben and Shane Walker they are out of the race to replace Steve Kearney — further opening the door for sacked Cowboys coach Paul Green to resurrect his career in New Zealand.

News Corp can reveal the list of candidates for the Warriors coaching job is narrowing with the Walker brothers officially scrapped as options to coach the club next season.

Warriors CEO Cameron George has advised the premiership-winning duo they were unsuccessful with their job interview.

With former Manly mentor Geoff Toovey also out of the running, Warriors management are closing in on their next coach with the available Green now a frontline contender to oust Kearney’s caretaker Todd Payten.

A media report a fortnight ago claimed the Walkers had clinched a one-year deal with the Warriors for 2021 but Shane confirmed they will not be launching their NRL careers with the Kiwi club.

“We haven’t got the job,” Walker said.
“It’s very disappointing, we thought we were right in the mix.

“We had a job interview and we put forward our case, but I understand the reason why decisions are made and we have no angst or anger at all towards the Warriors’ management.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee

Lol yup.

This is going to be a very underwhelming appointment.

Right now my gut says one of two outcomes.

1) Stick with Payten

2) An underwhelming out of the blue selection that hasn't even been mentioned yet.

Benek

Juniors
I would be happy to give Payten next year to prove himself. From what I've seen and heard, he's already a big improvement on SK.

That will give us time to chase a proven coach when more are off contract, unless we snag someone like Green now.

Only problem is, it doesn't help us attract better players.

Worst case scenario would be that the club rushes to replace Payten when there are no proven coaches willing to fill the position, and we end up with years more of dud coaching.

Matua

Bench
Wow, all we have is a list of coaches the Warriors don't want, and all seem to be better than the bloke we had.

Leber

Bench
So we have just flat out snubbed Geoff Toovey without even an interview.

There better be a bloody good reason for it. I'm seriously over this clubs management and it's idiotic decisions.

waipiro

Juniors
End of the day why interview a guy you don't want as the coach.
Media seems to be saying we have shown Toovey disrespect by not proceeding with his application but at the end of the day if the club doesnt see him as the right guy you move on and focus on who you do want,

Penrose_11

Juniors
Just as long as the management ain’t holding their breath to get #1 or #2 option across the line then that all falling over and having to retrace a few footsteps and take a few feet out of a few mouths

gordynz

Juniors
I'm sure if Green wanted the job he would have it by now. Hes obviously biding his time, hoping Seibold gets the sack.