What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Old dog

Juniors
I am hopeful we haven’t re-signed Watson at this stage as we have not got much out of him so far, sure he is quick, creates enthusiasm but only any good if on field. Likely to miss start of next season so let’s wait and see, spend money on keeping/developing the likes of Hoy, Crosslands and Toa and if Watson gets a medical clearance then sign him but not for much.

Knight Vision

First Grade
How long does it take for a ruptured achilles to heal enough to take the field ? I thought it was the better part of 12 months?

Im betting it wont be his last, like Hodges was plagued with them, then it will be the hamstring injuries ......

If the game is now a business re-signing Watson is bad business.

aqua_duck

Coach
How long does it take for a ruptured achilles to heal enough to take the field ? I thought it was the better part of 12 months?

Im betting it wont be his last, like Hodges was plagued with them, then it will be the hamstring injuries ......

If the game is now a business re-signing Watson is bad business.
From what I've read it's the worst injury in sports outside the freak career ending ones. Apparently it's a 12-18 month recovery and even after that time it takes a while to get back to pre injury level mobility and explosive power which is a massive issue for a player like Watson who relies on those attributes. I'd be shocked if we got more than 5 games out of Watson next year

Silent Knight

First Grade
I love what Watson provides on the field but if he's gone for 12-18 months I won't be surprised if he's played his last game for the Knights. There's no way he should be offered decent coin by the club now, because that's just going to be a percentage of our salary cap sitting on the sidelines for a long period of time. Surely we can't be that stupid.

Knight Vision

First Grade
From what I've read it's the worst injury in sports outside the freak career ending ones. Apparently it's a 12-18 month recovery and even after that time it takes a while to get back to pre injury level mobility and explosive power which is a massive issue for a player like Watson who relies on those attributes. I'd be shocked if we got more than 5 games out of Watson next year
wow that's horrendous for the young fella.

I just cant see how re-signing him makes any sense unless on an incentive type contract going forward. Way too many injuries for mine and it cant all just be bad luck.

Knight Vision

First Grade
that's just going to be a percentage of our salary cap sitting on the sidelines for a long period of time. Surely we can't be that stupid.

You would think not.

As @aqua_duck mentioned before Watson relies on mobility and explosive power. He doesnt have a lot more to offer unfortunately. No kicking game, no passing game and no game management ability.

I asked the question before is it the way Watson plays the game that brings on these injuries or his body is made of glass and not up to it.

aqua_duck

Coach
You would think not.

As @aqua_duck mentioned before Watson relies on mobility and explosive power. He doesnt have a lot more to offer unfortunately. No kicking game, no passing game and no game management ability.

I asked the question before is it the way Watson plays the game that brings on these injuries or his body is made of glass and not up to it.
Probably a combination of rotten luck and body made of glass, none of those injuries have happened at full speed

Yosh

Coach
He just fell... No one around him. Cnt imagine how he feels.

However, (omg I hope I don't jinx it) look at Moga. How good is the lad. Came back from 462 knee reconstructions.

Bad timing with contract talks nearly finalized. Feel bad for the lad but definitely needs to be let go.

Knight Vision

First Grade
He just fell... No one around him. Cnt imagine how he feels.

However, (omg I hope I don't jinx it) look at Moga. How good is the lad. Came back from 462 knee reconstructions.

Bad timing with contract talks nearly finalized. Feel bad for the lad but definitely needs to be let go.
You just have to admire the mental toughness of someone like Moga. Incredible to come back from so much adversity to still be playing footy. No doubt he visited some very dark places.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I know Watson hasn’t had much time on the field over the last couple of years but he could be worth keeping on a smaller deal. Maybe $200K on a one year deal to reduce the risk? Or with an option in our favour for an extra year if he can stay kn the field.

I doubt he would have that many clubs chasing him right now after that injury so I can’t see anyone offering him big money to go elsewhere. I think the club will make him a reduced offer on a short term deal and if he can’t stay on the field in 2021 then we let him go.

Yosh

Coach
I know Watson hasn’t had much time on the field over the last couple of years but he could be worth keeping on a smaller deal. Maybe $200K on a one year deal to reduce the risk? Or with an option in our favour for an extra year if he can stay kn the field.

I doubt he would have that many clubs chasing him right now after that injury so I can’t see anyone offering him big money to go elsewhere. I think the club will make him a reduced offer on a short term deal and if he can’t stay on the field in 2021 then we let him go.

I'm all for this to be honest. Give the lad a minimum deal at least for two years and let him earn his place back. Seems to be best mates with Ponga and keeping Ponga happy is worth he 150k of cap space.

I'm all for this to be honest. Give the lad a minimum deal at least for two years and let him earn his place back. Seems to be best mates with Ponga and keeping Ponga happy is worth he 150k of cap space.
I'm ok with a bare minimum deal to keep the peace. Ponga can afford to help his good mate out with $$$ anyway.

We have a tendency to keep players at the club during injury and release them when they have recovered if they don't fit with us. I think that's reasonable.
I'd keep Watson on the books but at a lower amount.

Tom155

Coach
COWBOYS’ KNIGHT-MARE
Paul Green is not the only departure from the Cowboys. It is understood recruitment chief Clint Zammit, one of the best talent spotters in the code, is on the verge of leaving Townsville. The Knights are going hard for Zammit, who is tipped to head up Newcastle’s recruitment next season. Zammit is the man who spotted Kalyn Ponga and Jason Taumalolo and is highly-regarded by Knights coach Adam O’Brien.

Last edited: