What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion Team Names

T-Boon

Coach
I would have no problem at all with an NRL team with links to Aboriginal culture/meaning in the name that tries to get a lot of support from the Aboriginal community and also I suppose progressives.

Loose Cannon

Bench
Notre Dame is arguably the most supported college football team in America because they are the Catholics. Almost everyone "hates" them except the many millions who love them.
Maybe for NRL, who has luke warm supporters, some teams link to something would create more passion.
Not sure creating a fierce rivalry or hatred based on ethnicity is something the game should be willing to propagate.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Notre Dame is arguably the most supported college football team in America because they are the Catholics. Almost everyone "hates" them except the many millions who love them.
Maybe for NRL, who has luke warm supporters, some teams link to something would create more passion.
Notre Dame is a collage so it's a little bit more complex situation than just a club, and Catholic isn't an ethnicity, though I guess denominations act like ethnic groups in a lot of ways (though still different). Putting that aside, I don't know a great deal about Notre Dame in particular, but I'd bet you anything that they've had problems in the past with conflict with other denominations, particularly Protestants.

On top of that every American sports team and collage was racially and/or ethnically exclusive in living memory, and nobody in their right mind would suggest that was a good state of affairs...

The Great Dane

First Grade
I would have no problem at all with an NRL team with links to Aboriginal culture/meaning in the name that tries to get a lot of support from the Aboriginal community and also I suppose progressives.
The NRL doesn't want to recreate the problems that Australian soccer has had in the past, we don't want clubs coming out and making decisions and political statements based on "the club's race and/or ethnicity" (we don't want them making political statements at all, but that is another argument), we don't want the inevitable backlash to them doing that either.

If we do go down that path it'll inevitably be an ugly, racist, and violent one, that won't only be bad for the sport, but society as a whole.

greenBV4

Bench
As there is a Perth Bid for a
WEST COAST PIRATES
View attachment 42266

There could be a Greater Brisbane Bid
Called EAST COAST DOLPHINS
View attachment 42267
East Coast doesnt shout "Queensland" though - I've heard people say Titans struggle to get die hard qlders on board because they wear light blue, if Qlders are that fickle with who they deem Qlder-enough to support then maybe this name isn't the best bet

I would also associate an East Coast name change more with the Roosters if they ever fully expanded their reach up to include the CC and Northern Beaches, East's = East Coast

East Coast doesnt shout "Queensland" though - I've heard people say Titans struggle to get die hard qlders on board because they wear light blue, if Qlders are that fickle with who they deem Qlder-enough to support then maybe this name isn't the best bet

I would also associate an East Coast name change more with the Roosters if they ever fully expanded their reach up to include the CC and Northern Beaches, East's = East Coast
Easts Tigers have already used the name "East Coast" in the past.

MugaB

Coach
Brisbane isn’t on the coast, and a Brisbane club doesn’t represent the east coast so that would be a no from me lol
Redcliffe is not brisbane, its on a coast, so is sunshine coast, if moreton bay and sunshine coast areas are the primary area for this bid, aswell as playing 8 games at suncorp, then east coast is fine, especially if the easts tigers also become involved in the same bid

Brisbane isn’t on the coast, and a Brisbane club doesn’t represent the east coast so that would be a no from me lol
I don't know if this is a troll, but I will bite.

Redcliffe is on the coast. They're the mob running the bid. Their target should be Moreton Bay Region, Sunshine Coast, Redlands and the bayside suburbs of Brisbane, such as Wynnum. There's no point trying to appeal to the western suburbs or Ipswich, which is Donkeys territory.

A Brisbane club, Easts Tigers, used the name East Coast around 20 years ago.

A map of Australia will reveal Brisbane is roughly halfway between the top end and bottom end of the eastern coastline.

greenBV4

Bench
Brisbane is definitely on the coast. It just doesn't have a nice beach you can swim at.
depends on your definition of coastal I guess
Its as much of a coastal city as Melbourne is (with the closest part of the ocean being a bay)
You wouldnt call a Melbourne team "south coast", even if it was on the peninsular

greenBV4

Bench
There's a shipping port based in the City of Brisbane, is there not?
many inland European cities have shipping ports on their rivers

like I said depends on what you mean by coastal

based on this I would say brisbane city is coastal for urbanisation, and maybe agriculture - but most would be refering to tourism, which it is not - greater brisbane would be coastal for all of them

But then there's also some people who refer to the coastal as literally being directly on a decent beach (usually with surf) ie the gold coast - these people would say melbourne isn't coastal despite the cbd being 3km from port phillip bay
  • For tourism, the city is considered coastal if the coast is a walking distance far from the city center, i.e. about 2-3 km maximum.
  • For agriculture, the region is considered coastal if the coast directly impacts the region's weather, i.e. less than 7-10 km from the coast line.
  • For environmental studies, the region is considered coastal if it is beside the coast (<200 m) and its altitude is less than 10 m above sea level.(As mentioned by Bryce Corlett )
  • For Urbanization studies, a region is coastal if it is located within 100 km of a shoreline and 100 m of sea level. (As mentioned by Bryce Corlett )

https://www.researchgate.net/post/What_is_the_formal_definition_of_a_coastal_city

Last edited:

toomuchsoup

Juniors
I posted these on the jersey thread but thought I’d repost here. Just my quick knock up of the potential expansion team kits

1. Brisbane Jets Option A
C3DCC71F-B878-419C-83C4-CFF6390CEE15.jpeg

2. Brisbane Jets Option B
6DB7F3A7-30CF-4B0F-8C04-BC8B160A9AD3.jpeg

3. East Coast Dolphins / Brisbane Dolphins
85A1C742-84C7-48EC-BC82-0CA69FBA28F4.jpeg

4. Brisbane Firehawks
F77819EE-9CB4-4413-A854-50BDFF5CA349.jpeg

5. West Coast Pirates
BE970DE9-B55F-4A25-901D-1B35926427A5.jpeg

6. Auckland Orcas / Christchurch Orcas
491E028F-1717-4AE5-8860-45872B6A482A.jpeg

7. Adelaide Rams / Adelaide Angels
F7C03598-4D6E-4B52-A9E4-801C73E522CD.png

I posted these on the jersey thread but thought I’d repost here. Just my quick knock up of the potential expansion team kits

1. Brisbane Jets Option A
View attachment 46998

2. Brisbane Jets Option B
View attachment 46999

3. East Coast Dolphins / Brisbane Dolphins
View attachment 47000

4. Brisbane Firehawks
View attachment 47002

5. West Coast Pirates
View attachment 47001

6. Auckland Orcas / Christchurch Orcas
View attachment 47003

7. Adelaide Rams / Adelaide Angels
View attachment 47004
You did a great job.

MugaB

Coach
South Pacific Halos, home stadium in Christchurch, with a few odd games spread in Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, and PNG

Attachments

• 20210624_040228.jpg
    20210624_040228.jpg
    445 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Latest posts