What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can we (realistically) make the 8 in 2020

Dragonslayer

First Grade
What net benefit does going on a run, winning games against the front runners, and making the finals give us though?
The net benefit would be the excitement one would feel in beating the front runners and to hear the chant in the sheds after the games. Of course this would be offset with Mary having the belief that he is a great coach.

U fortunatly this is the downside. Mc85 willbtake ALL the credit even though most, if not all our change in fortunes have been on the back of someone else.

Make the 8, beat some top teams and Mc85 is here at LEAST for another year. The person or persons responsible for that won't be.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
People are forgetting that it’s 2020.

We’ll make the 8.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Those 2 loses to the Dogs and Warriors after Covid lock down cost the Dragons any chance of making the 8. They have themselves to blame as those 2 teams got flogged after they beat Saints which shows how poor the Dragons were. The Saints made the 2 wooden spooners look like champions I may add (Warriors no errors until 75th minute and Dogs were similar). Those losses sum up the Saints the past 2 seasons, poor form and embarrassing to follow.

Another wasted season and possible 1 more to follow depending on what decisions are made by the board. It will be fun though as the teams below Saints are getting new coaches and will be better next season or try to be with a change in coach. Saints however will bring out the same $hite.

Old Timer

Coach
Interesting how some see getting into the 8 as a thing all about the games we need to win but almost every year under this peanut our failure to be in the 8 was actually about the games we should never have lost.

I say that meaning the "need" to win games are often the marginal could go either way ones and are usually about other teams sitting between 5-9 on the ladder.

The "never should have lost games" are almost exclusively to teams that have been performing poorly and are sitting below us (sometimes well below) on the ladder and on more than 1 occasion we have faltered to them very late in the season and it has cost us dearly.

Some incredibly ugly and totally unacceptable losses to shit teams at crucial moments is how Mc Fookknuckle should always be remembered and the SF win against the Broncos whilst being as salivating as it was should be remembered as the 1 game that somewhat perpetuated the agony we are forced endure following this club.

Dragon for life

Juniors
What net benefit does going on a run, winning games against the front runners, and making the finals give us though?
The net benefit would be the excitement one would feel in beating the front runners and to hear the chant in the sheds after the games. Of course this would be offset with Mary having the belief that he is a great coach.
And the likely extension of Mary’s contract!

redVinme

Juniors
Interesting how some see getting into the 8 as a thing all about the games we need to win but almost every year under this peanut our failure to be in the 8 was actually about the games we should never have lost.

I say that meaning the "need" to win games are often the marginal could go either way ones and are usually about other teams sitting between 5-9 on the ladder.

The "never should have lost games" are almost exclusively to teams that have been performing poorly and are sitting below us (sometimes well below) on the ladder and on more than 1 occasion we have faltered to them very late in the season and it has cost us dearly.

Some incredibly ugly and totally unacceptable losses to shit teams at crucial moments is how Mc Fookknuckle should always be remembered and the SF win against the Broncos whilst being as salivating as it was should be remembered as the 1 game that somewhat perpetuated the agony we are forced endure following this club.

Sadly that win has lost its shine for me due to the pathetic efforts the broncs have displayed since.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Sadly that win has lost its shine for me due to the pathetic efforts the broncs have displayed since.
They only display that effort as their spirits are broken..

Can you imagine having the stigma of being the only team to have ever lost a final to Mary?

That shit burns your soul, man.

possm

Coach
I doubt very much that we can make the 8. We should use the rest of the season to sort out our roster and trial players like Ramsey, Sullivan, the Feagai twins, Ellis and Blacker. Plenty there to have a look at and maybe even improve their confince and skill-set.

redVinme

Juniors
They only display that effort as their spirits are broken..

Can you imagine having the stigma of being the only team to have ever lost a final to Mary?

That shit burns your soul, man.

They have been slowly descending into madness ever since. Thanks mary watching the broncs implode has made the season a lol at least.

Now everyone say 5 hail Mary's

Gareth67

First Grade
Can we make the semis ?

No , no way , this is yet another season that has gone down the drain - along with valuable players that have gone onto greener pastures .

The only silver lining that has come out of season 2020 has been the blooding and retention of some really talented youth in the 1st grade squad - just whose idea that was is another question , that will at least put the Dragons in good stead come 2021 .

GRADE MARK FOR SEASON 2020 :- 3/10

Last edited:

Spazer

Juniors
We would have to beat the Bunnies, Roosters and Eels to give us enough momentum to make a push into the top 8, which is unlikely. If we could make the finals I think we would be a troublesome side to play against, though.

denis preston

First Grade
I doubt very much that we can make the 8. We should use the rest of the season to sort out our roster and trial players like Ramsey, Sullivan, the Feagai twins, Ellis and Blacker. Plenty there to have a look at and maybe even improve their confince and skill-set.
Poss , that would be the sensible move but it wont happen. Mccareercoach will want to keep playing the conservative approach as he needs all the wins he can get. I suspect that if he doesn't get his way to do this he will go straight to bum mate Gordon to remind the selectors where their salary comes from.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
We would have to beat the Bunnies, Roosters and Eels to give us enough momentum to make a push into the top 8, which is unlikely. If we could make the finals I think we would be a troublesome side to play against, though.
Bunnies are still quite wobbly.. We can knock them over..

Roosters aren’t all that crash hot this year.. Morris is our for however long, and Cordner is having issues getting over concussions.. Plus last week Hetherington showed that JWH goes to water when challenged effectively..

Eels are a key injury away from falling over..

We just need to turn up on the day..

We’ll make the 8..

giboz71

First Grade
We are very little chance, but stranger things have happened.

Teams are facing key injuries now, and some individuals like Dufty, Lomax, and Rava are showing improvement. We might even jag some upsets along the way and sneak into the 8.

Which would resign us to Mary for next year and beyond so part of me hopes that doesn't happen.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
We are very little chance, but stranger things have happened.

Teams are facing key injuries now, and some individuals like Dufty, Lomax, and Rava are showing improvement. We might even jag some upsets along the way and sneak into the 8.

Which would resign us to Mary for next year and beyond so part of me hopes that doesn't happen.

We, like other teams, are only a injury or 2 away from facingvthe same issue. In fact we are seeingvthisxalrwady with Clune being unavailable for todays game.

Imagine if Dufty got injured,cwho would play fullback? Ramsey isnt ready, so that would mean another reshuffle of players.
Add to that is the fact that JP was straigjt back into the team and Saab to the reserves. Says alotcaboutcwhat the 'selection committee' think of him.