What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

The vent in the closeup, when you follow the brickwork appears to be in a course above the step in the doorway?

Which would mean it's also above floor height, or at least a course above the rebate in the slab?

Which would mean it's only ever going to let water in, not out?
Is that a good or a bad thing?

Suitman

Post Whore
The vent in the closeup, when you follow the brickwork appears to be in a course above the step in the doorway?

Which would mean it's also above floor height, or at least a course above the rebate in the slab?

Which would mean it's only ever going to let water in, not out?

I'm not so sure about that. The vent (cleared perp) in the brickwork looks level with the floor level at the door. Not ideal, but at least the bottom of the perp should be below the indoor floor slab level.

I think the major issue here is the lack of drainage on that side of the house. It just looks as though it would be a swimming pool after heavy rain.
IMO, some drainage should be installed. Something like an ag line, filled with blue metal and wrapped in geotech fabric, and headed towards the nearest storm water drainage access towards the street or connected into the house storm water system to disperse where ever that runs to.

As for the pit in the back yard, that is not unusual to see that as a finished product from a builder. It's not great, but not that bad.
It's an easy fix, done in conjunction with the side of the house drainage.

Incorrect

Coach
It's disgusting.

We have a little terrace type of thing, leading to pur backyard (it's a single-storey place), and the gyprock in the ceiling of that outdoor area has already cracked, and is buckling (they didn't even attach it correctly).

I have since patched the crack, but because they never did the gyprocking job properly, it will continue to sag, and crack.

Having worked in a paint shop for almost 10 years, I am aware that 90% of builders are excellent, honest, and hard-working people - but there is a small percentage of people who are just scum.

The builder who built the two duplexes is actually the owner of the property; he agreed to accept a price we offered him, and then changed his mind a week later.

This guy is a bum.

When I politely reached out to him to rectify the faults, he came in one day (while I was at work; he showed up unannounced), and sweet-talked my wife into thinking that the defects were not an issue. She was a bit overwhelmed, and didn't know what to do, so she took his word for it.

I am a little peeved that a house that is under 2 years old has:

* tiles falling off the front verandah
* gyprock sagging, and cracking, on the rear porch
* drainage issues
* skirting boards that are unattaching themselves from the walls in certain spots
* a paint job that was obviously performed with no care (there are bubbles, different sheen levels, and different colours used, all on one wall/door/skirting board)
* a ducted air conditioning system that was not properly installed (which has since been fixed)

I'm not wishing to complain, and I don’t think I'm an unreasonable man.

But the defects that MUST be fixed are the drainage issues, and the sagging/cracking gyprock at the back, and he has dodged us.

I'm worried that I may not be able to take this higher - we have lived in the house for over 12 months (we moved in May 2019).

Things happen, but I'm a bit disappointed that the guy who built the house has dodged us so far.
So you guys are renting off the owner/builder after he reneged on your offer to buy originally??

Bandwagon

Staff member
I'm not so sure about that. The vent (cleared perp) in the brickwork looks level with the floor level at the door. Not ideal, but at least the bottom of the perp should be below the indoor floor slab level.

I think the major issue here is the lack of drainage on that side of the house. It just looks as though it would be a swimming pool after heavy rain.
IMO, some drainage should be installed. Something like an ag line, filled with blue metal and wrapped in geotech fabric, and headed towards the nearest storm water drainage access towards the street or connected into the house storm water system to disperse where ever that runs to.

As for the pit in the back yard, that is not unusual to see that as a finished product from a builder. It's not great, but not that bad.
It's an easy fix, done in conjunction with the side of the house drainage.

Yeah it's all question marked because you can't really tell, but if the bottom of the vent is at floor level, which appears to be the case from what we can see ( assuming the step at the doorway is the floor level ) then when you get water rising on the ground there it's gonna leak in through that vent for sure.

And by the look of the ground washed away there and seeing there's some fall from the pit end to the gate? it looks like that whole area behind is draining down that side of the house, so in decent rain it'd be like a little creek with the sleeper wall and the house forming the banks

And with that pit doing pretty much nothing it looks a clusterf**k to me. But yeah, get the water draining enough to keep it below the vent and problem solved, still, looks very poorly thought out as it stands.

Eelementary

Post Whore
So you guys are renting off the owner/builder after he reneged on your offer to buy originally??

No, we bought the house, but for $10,000 more than we agreed upon before.

Still - due to a relatively poor market, we bought it for $30,000 under listed price (and I had to; the apartment I owned sold for $10,000 under asking price).

But it's annoying that the house sat on the market for 12 months, nobody made an offer, we made an offer, he accepted it, and then changed his mind.

I was only 50-50 on the house, but my wife was in love with it from the start.

Incorrect

Coach

Still - due to a relatively poor market, we bought it for $30,000 under listed price (and I had to; the apartment I owned sold for $10,000 under asking price).

But it's annoying that the house sat on the market for 12 months, nobody made an offer, we made an offer, he accepted it, and then changed his mind.

In that case, if the builder is ducking your calls, I'd be going to Fair Trading. Should be covered under the warranty I mentioned yesterday seeing its less than 5 years old. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to building defects etc but if some of the guys here reckon it looks dodgy, I reckon a thorough, independent defect inspection is in order. And he would have to cover the cost of any repairs.

Bandwagon

Staff member

When I bought my first house, it was at auction, and I ran it sweet and only made one bid a bees dick before it was passed in,

So they put us in the lounge room and the couple I outbid in the next room and worked us off against each other.and they wanted another 10k outta me

I was adamant my bid was the price, but in the midst of negotiation my wife says "if we don't get this house I'm never talking to you again"

How do ya reckon that ended up?

hindy111

Post Whore
It's disgusting.

We have a little terrace type of thing, leading to pur backyard (it's a single-storey place), and the gyprock in the ceiling of that outdoor area has already cracked, and is buckling (they didn't even attach it correctly).

I have since patched the crack, but because they never did the gyprocking job properly, it will continue to sag, and crack.

Having worked in a paint shop for almost 10 years, I am aware that 90% of builders are excellent, honest, and hard-working people - but there is a small percentage of people who are just scum.

The builder who built the two duplexes is actually the owner of the property; he agreed to accept a price we offered him, and then changed his mind a week later.

This guy is a bum.

When I politely reached out to him to rectify the faults, he came in one day (while I was at work; he showed up unannounced), and sweet-talked my wife into thinking that the defects were not an issue. She was a bit overwhelmed, and didn't know what to do, so she took his word for it.

I am a little peeved that a house that is under 2 years old has:

* tiles falling off the front verandah
* gyprock sagging, and cracking, on the rear porch
* drainage issues
* skirting boards that are unattaching themselves from the walls in certain spots
* a paint job that was obviously performed with no care (there are bubbles, different sheen levels, and different colours used, all on one wall/door/skirting board)
* a ducted air conditioning system that was not properly installed (which has since been fixed)

I'm not wishing to complain, and I don’t think I'm an unreasonable man.

But the defects that MUST be fixed are the drainage issues, and the sagging/cracking gyprock at the back, and he has dodged us.

I'm worried that I may not be able to take this higher - we have lived in the house for over 12 months (we moved in May 2019).

Things happen, but I'm a bit disappointed that the guy who built the house has dodged us so far.

It's not only the builders fault but society. People want cheap and government/Authorities doesn't seem to inspect these days.
I worked on a 3mth old unit of a friends. Lights and power on same circuit. Garbage/Cheap circuit breakers. I removed 5 light switches to put dimmer and 3 the wires fell out as not even done screws up. That's a potential hot joint/ fire hazard right there.
None of exhaust fans connected to ducting properly. Just a bit of sticky tape that already come off. Insualtion randomly spread.

They are built to look pretty but cheap and nasty half the time. It is sad but also can be hard for good tradesmen to do good work in domestic situations cause they become too expensive and people think they are being ripped off.

Kind of why I do more industrial nowdays. Factories dont want their machines having downtime. They rather a high quality job that lasts.

strider

Post Whore
When I bought my first house, it was at auction, and I ran it sweet and only made one bid a bees dick before it was passed in,

So they put us in the lounge room and the couple I outbid in the next room and worked us off against each other.and they wanted another 10k outta me

I was adamant my bid was the price, but in the midst of negotiation my wife says "if we don't get this house I'm never talking to you again"

good thing your second wife is more understanding

hindy111

Post Whore
zb0Lq9m

https://ibb.co/zb0Lq9m
https://ibb.co/1z4bhJH
https://ibb.co/X4xqW2w
https://ibb.co/z5dsYrw
https://ibb.co/k93DrSj
https://ibb.co/rmWSHHC
https://ibb.co/jVYw40Y
1z4bhJH

X4xqW2w

z5dsYrw

Could you do something like this? Bit of digging but wouldn't cost much.Or maybe concrete.
And FFS roll your hose up you lazy merkin.20200728_215747.jpg

Eelementary

Post Whore

I understand completely.

My wife was loving this house, because it was new, it had insulation, ducted air, a remote garage, a small yard for the little one.

I was never too keen, because I noticed minor defects here and there.

But she was so, so happy with it, I went along with it.

Eelementary

Post Whore
It's not only the builders fault but society. People want cheap and government/Authorities doesn't seem to inspect these days.
I worked on a 3mth old unit of a friends. Lights and power on same circuit. Garbage/Cheap circuit breakers. I removed 5 light switches to put dimmer and 3 the wires fell out as not even done screws up. That's a potential hot joint/ fire hazard right there.
None of exhaust fans connected to ducting properly. Just a bit of sticky tape that already come off. Insualtion randomly spread.

They are built to look pretty but cheap and nasty half the time. It is sad but also can be hard for good tradesmen to do good work in domestic situations cause they become too expensive and people think they are being ripped off.

Kind of why I do more industrial nowdays. Factories dont want their machines having downtime. They rather a high quality job that lasts.

Absolutely - it's disgraceful.

When I was working at a trade centre, I knew of one builder (who "declared bankruptcy", and is now running a business in Melbourne, under his wife's name) who took every shortcut known - using glue for gyprock, instead of using the studs; using ceiling paint on walls, and doors; telling buyers that downpipes don't need painting (I mean, they don't NEED painting, but a good coat or two of decent quality acrylic paint will cop the abuse of the sun, and the weather, and the pipes will last way longer).

Three days after we moved into the house, we had to call in the people who installed the cabinets, because they initially installed the wrong sized latch on one of the cabinets...

I am at a loss as to how some people can cheap out to that extent.

The duplex we bought - they were asking $650,000+.

It's a 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom place - but it is located in a so-so part of Penrith (it's not terrible, but it's not fantastic, either), the rooms are small, and the workmanship of the property is quite poor.

We ended up getting it for $510,000, because I played hard ball with the guy, and he knew he wouldn't get $600,000+ for it.

It's a decent house, but I shake my head at why things are how they are.

My wife says she's not worried about the drain things - I said to her, "Look, they protrude about an inch up from the grass - what if our son (when he is old enough to play) trips, and falls on it - those edges will literally take his eye out! Nevermind that it doesn't drain - it's a genuine safety risk!"

She's a lovely, lovely woman, but she is so enamoured with her house, she can't see the faults in it.

Latest posts