What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test England v West Indies at Manchester, July 24-28 2020

Bazal

Post Whore
All the wickets Broad has taken in that poncey f**ken head band should be discounted.

Mincer

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Broad the 7th man to 500 wickets.

Chucker 800
Warne 708
Kumble 619
Anderson 589
Mcgrath 563
Walsh 519
Broad 500

Next in line for current players - Nathan Lyon 390.

Pommy

Coach
Stuart Broad is still a shit Bloke.

giphy.gif

Longevity stats. At ave of 28, Broad, and Anderson, are planks.

Hadlee isn’t Top 10 any more either I’ve noticed. Shame.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Yeah.....nah.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020...-anderson-best-test-fast-bowling-duo/12499442

Cricket is famous for its batting partnerships.

Gordon Greenidge and Desmond Haynes come to mind, as do Justin Langer and Matthew Hayden.

But you know what they say: it's the bowlers that win you the game.

In the history of men's Test cricket, no fast-bowling combination has come anywhere near the partnership of two unassuming chaps from England, James Anderson and Stuart Broad.

Broad took his 500th Test wicket in Manchester overnight, as England defeated West Indies to win the series 2-1.

He got his 501st for good measure and was named Player of the Match for picking up 10 wickets and also Player of the Series. He's become just the fourth fast bowler to pass 500 Test wickets.

If cricket is famous for its partnerships, it's also famous for its statistics, so here goes:

Anderson and Broad have played 117 Tests together over 13 years beginning in 2008. In those matches, Anderson has taken 473 wickets to Broad's 422, a total of 895 wickets in matches together.

The closest fast-bowling combination in terms of Test dismissals is the two West Indian giants, Curtly Ambrose and Courtney Walsh, who played 95 Tests together, taking 389 and 373 wickets respectively in those matches.

England has gone to extraordinary lengths to ensure Test cricket can be played during COVID-19

The England vs West Indies Test series could act as a possible blueprint for coronavirus cricket around the world.

Read more

Pakistan's finest, Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis, played together for 14 years and yet managed just 61 Tests together, taking 282 and 277 wickets apiece.

Is there an asterisk here?

Yes, it's Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath, the greatest bowling combination of all time. In 104 matches together, they took an insane 1,014 wickets between them.

But Warne was a spinner — albeit the greatest of all time — and yes, his shoulders and fingers took a beating, but not like those of a fast bowler.

Longevity and health are an inevitable product of being at the top of any cricket list and here Anderson and Broad excel.

12499486-3x2-xlarge.jpg

Anderson (right) first crossed swords with Justin Langer when the Australia coach was still playing.(Reuters: David Gray)
Anderson is the most successful fast bowler of all time with 589 wickets, behind the three great spinners Muttiah Muralitharan, Warne and Anil Kumble.

Broad is in seventh spot overall with 501.

Just McGrath and Walsh sit between him and Anderson, with every sign suggesting he could catch and pass them to join his English teammate as the two greatest fast-bowling wicket-takers.

After all, they want to keep playing at least until the 2021/22 Ashes series in Australia, by which time Anderson will be 39 and Broad 35.

Langer, who now coaches Australia, said that if that does happen "we will certainly be on our guard".

"We were fortunate, and I say this with great respect, that James Anderson didn't play the last Test series [a 2-2 draw in 2019] against us in England," he said.

Anderson bowled just four overs in the first Test before injuring his calf, which forced him to miss the rest of the Ashes and possibly cost England the series.

Anderson, Broad 'know how to get wickets'
Individually, they're elite; together, they're the greatest fast-bowling partnership of all time.

"We love bowling together in Test matches as well, we have a really good understanding and we bowl well when the other guy bowling is at the other end, we seem to know what each other is trying to do," said Anderson after Broad took six wickets in the first innings.

No-one knows that better than Australia opening batsman David Warner, who has faced them at their best.

"In English conditions, they just know how to get wickets," Warner said.

"In a partnership when they bowl, they don't leak runs. And they bowl a length in England, where if you go to drive that length you're probably going to nick.

Opinion: How climate change is affecting cricket

Offsiders columnist Richard Hinds has his say on how extreme weather events are imposing on the game.

Read more

Retired England captain Andrew Strauss said he did not believe Broad had "bowled much better than this".

And of the partnership with Anderson, Strauss said: "We write them off at our peril.

"So, let's not be in a hurry to pension them off, because they have both got a lot more to offer England."

If there is a criticism of the two, it's that they're brilliant in English conditions but less so in Australia.

They've played 12 Tests together in Australia, with Anderson taking 39 wickets at an average of 34 and Broad 34 at an average of 37.

Those figures aren't terrible, but by no means are they terrifying.

But Langer is having none of it.

"I wouldn't say they're less of a threat," Langer said.

"They're both great bowlers for a reason, the great bowlers get wickets all around the world."

undertaker

Coach
I would still take Hadlee over those 2 who have bowled on soft English pitches for most of their career.

If you compare Anderson's stats in Oz compared to Paddles, its a no brainer.

As an Aussie myself, Hadlee will always remain a legend of the game.

As you said, if you compare the stats, it's a no brainer, especially the stats in Australia. Hadlee was one of the few international bowlers (outside of the West Indies) who had great success in Australia. His 15 wicket haul in Brisbane 1985 will go down as one of the best test match bowling performances of all time:

http://howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerCountries.asp?PlayerID=0682#bowl
http://howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerCountries.asp?PlayerID=3065#bowl

Hadlee: 77 wickets @ 17.83
Anderson: 60 wickets @ 35.43

Did anyone say Anderson or Broad were better than Hadlee?

I don't think anyone has said that.

I just noted that Hadlee is no longer in the Top 10 of Most Test Wickets.

If you look at the averages, I'd still take guys like Hadlee, Ambrose, McGrath, Akram, Lillee, Steyn, Marshall, Holding, Trueman, Garner, Pollock any day of the week.

simmo1

First Grade
Broad and Anderson's Australian stats are pretty badly skewed from their first series where they were nowhere near the bowlers they are today.

Anderson especially was on a hiding to nothing in that 2007 series. Since then, he has had two good tours and one bad one.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Broad and Anderson bowl well, very well at home.

I think it is ok England has someone.

Even turns out Root can bat.

I can only hope the Windies come back, such great players, over history.

Latest posts