What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings

And still no stack hat. you'd wear one just for emotional security wouldn't you?

Good point. I’d want a mattress wrapped around my head. Wonder if he thought he’s exposing a fear and putting a target on himself? Players who wear them tend to have played with them from the beginning of their career?

nick87

Coach
Obviously my experience is not on the level of an elite footballer, but in my junior days i always played with a headgear... i forgot it one day playing u16;s and had to play without it... it was extremely disorintating and i had a f**king bludger of a game

I bet it works pretty much the same going the other way. If you're not used to wearing one ill bet it's really weird to make the switch this late in his career.

dogslife

Coach
Good point. I’d want a mattress wrapped around my head. Wonder if he thought he’s exposing a fear and putting a target on himself? Players who wear them tend to have played with them from the beginning of their career?
Can't see it that way. There wouldn't be a single NRL player going around that doesn't know his brain is pretty much mush at this point, but that doesn't mean they'd be going out to target him based on it. Nor do I think donning headgear would paint that target

nick87

Coach
I thought headgear in league was useless for concussions? Even the massive things the yanks throw on in NFL doesn't stop the noggin getting rattled.

The evidence is pretty clear they don't really reduce concussions, and actually some studies suggest those who wear them might actually be more aggressive in their play... i believe they're handy in avoiding cuts from head clashes though

Aside from the impact it might have on your play going from wearing one to no wearing one, i would say that is probably also a major factor in why Keary hasnt donned a headgear despite significant head trauma.

davi

Juniors
Latest on the Warriors coaching postion.

- Geoff Toovey wasn't given an interview and told he didn't 'meet the criteria'.

- The Walker brothers have been officially ruled out of the running

- Paul Green has been reported the front runner although how much this is just speculation or fact is debateble. Todd Paytan is still in the mix as well.

Someguy

First Grade
Yeah a headgear only protects you from lacerations

Does some minor impact absorbing but as proven by NFL helmets don’t protect much for internal brain injuries (NFL helmets made it worse as they became a weapon), still it’s something so I think it’s better than nothing.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Latest on the Warriors coaching postion.

- Geoff Toovey wasn't given an interview and told he didn't 'meet the criteria'.

- The Walker brothers have been officially ruled out of the running

- Paul Green has been reported the front runner although how much this is just speculation or fact is debateble. Todd Paytan is still in the mix as well.

Green is pure speculation.

The next coach will probably be quite underwhelming. We're talking Griffin/Cartwright type levels of excitement.

At this point Warriors would be better off keeping Payten on for next year and taking a stab at the higher quality of coaches who will be available at the end of next season.

davi

Juniors

The next coach will probably be quite underwhelming. We're talking Griffin/Cartwright type levels of excitement.

At this point Warriors would be better off keeping Payten on for next year and taking a stab at the higher quality of coaches who will be available at the end of next season.

That plan only works if Todd Paytan doesn't get the Cowboys job. He would likely tell the Warriors to go to buggery, if he gets a three deal from the Cowboys rather than a one year deal from the Warriors.

Interesting on the Sunday Footy Show they asked the panallests who they thought was a chance for the Cowboys job. They threw up the names Todd Paytan and Jason Ryles. Nothing there that screams heavy hitters such as Wayne Bennett or Craig Bellamy.

Exsilium

First Grade

Griffin would be a good fit for 3 years.

His strengths are developing juniors, setting a standard for training, culture and accountability. Some say he’s boring but he took zero shit from players. Perform or don’t play.

He’s also big on fitness and that showed during his time with Penrith.

Took us to three straight final series and who knows how far he could have gone before being sacked.

The warriors need, IMO, a coach who will lay foundations for years to come. The bloke can coach. Will he win you a premiership? Well maybe not but you guys needs realistic goals.

Vee

First Grade
Obviously my experience is not on the level of an elite footballer, but in my junior days i always played with a headgear... i forgot it one day playing u16;s and had to play without it... it was extremely disorintating and i had a f**king bludger of a game

I bet it works pretty much the same going the other way. If you're not used to wearing one ill bet it's really weird to make the switch this late in his career.
I never used shoulder pads as a kid and wore them one time for some reason, annoyed the shit out of me until I tore them off midgame.

I never used shoulder pads as a kid and wore them one time for some reason, annoyed the shit out of me until I tore them off midgame.
great-story-please.jpg

davi

Juniors
Griffin would be a good fit for 3 years.

His strengths are developing juniors, setting a standard for training, culture and accountability. Some say he’s boring but he took zero shit from players. Perform or don’t play.

He’s also big on fitness and that showed during his time with Penrith.

Took us to three straight final series and who knows how far he could have gone before being sacked.

The warriors need, IMO, a coach who will lay foundations for years to come. The bloke can coach. Will he win you a premiership? Well maybe not but you guys needs realistic goals.

Well said. The problem is everyone is holding out for a Craig Bellamy or Trent Robinson but that coach may never come. Anthony Griffin has done a solid job with his teams, but finding a coach who can guarantee a premiership is not likely ever going to happen.

I think the better option is find a good coach, manage your roster well, and break the mould like the the Penrith Panthers did with their coach John Lang.

Penrith defeated the Sydney Roosters in the 2003 NRL grand final by 18–6, thereby answering his detractors at Cronulla who argued that the Sharks could never win a premiership under Lang.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lang_(Australian_rugby_league)

mongoose

Coach
i would be going for Griffin or Green if I was the Warriors. You get the feeling those 2 have unfinished business and know what it takes to build a string team and hard working culture. Problem with Green is he may split as soon as a Brisbane job comes up. He has expressed he wants to coach a Brisbane club, whether that's Broncos or a new team.

Imagine the Panthers vs Warriors rivalry with Griffin and Ivan head to head.... It's so NRL.

Exsilium

First Grade
Cordner to retire at end of this season and become an assistant coach at roosters

Earlier in the season it was suggested he'd retire due to injuries. He's contracted until 2023 but his body has been letting him down to the point he's being 'managed' mid-season.

Would that mean Craig Fitzgibbon is off for one of the vacant NRL roles? He's contracted until 2022.

shear_joy9

Coach
Earlier in the season it was suggested he'd retire due to injuries. He's contracted until 2023 but his body has been letting him down to the point he's being 'managed' mid-season.

Would that mean Craig Fitzgibbon is off for one of the vacant NRL roles? He's contracted until 2022.

who knows. Maybe they could have Cordner and Fitzgibbon both as assistants for a season until Fitzgibbon feels he's ready for a head coach role.

I reckon if Cordner does retire then the roosters will throw some big money at a hooker and Friend will retire as well. Some big $$ waved under Brandon Smith's nose might snag him