What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will be the Warriors new coach?

Leber

Bench
I like the Idea of Green (For the reasons I already stated) and Payten as assistant.

Same combo as the cowboys GF win.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
NRL360 reporting that the word is getting stronger that Payten will be kept in the mix as assistant and groomed under Wayne Bennett

The owner has been spruiking for weeks over in Aussie that they have an experienced coach with a year left on his current deal lined up

Geoff Toovey handled himself well when asked about the Warriors snubbing

Leber

Bench
NRL360 reporting that the word is getting stronger that Payten will be kept in the mix as assistant and groomed under Wayne Bennett

The owner has been spruiking for weeks over in Aussie that they have an experienced coach with a year left on his current deal lined up

Wayne Bennett in Warriors colours would look weird.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

Keep hearing that 'experienced coach with a year left on his deal' story. Whether that's hot air and bluster from a CEO who is capable of it, or it's actually true, we'll see.

I don't mind at all the idea of Payten being us long-term, as long as they can identify he has the sort of coaching chops to be the guy we're looking for long-term. Just like John Hart identified in Ivan Cleary, they let him work his way up then took over (and really he should still be here).

Not sure about Bennett though. I'm not sure how many people are going to come to follow him over here, knowing full well he moves around at his leisure too. And he said emphatically he wasn't coming and his son was part of the reason. Wouldn't look great if he backtracked on that.

TheDMC

Bench

He did, but then when asked about what the Broncos need to do to get out of their slump he said, in essence "go out and have fun, throw the ball around, play however you want to play" - ie no coaching. You'd hope a potential warriors coach expert would come up with something a little less simplistic than a cliche approach like that.

Big Marn

Juniors
And he said emphatically he wasn't coming and his son was part of the reason. Wouldn't look great if he backtracked on that.
This is what would make me extremely surprised if he came over. I have read his book The Man in the Mirror and his son came up in that book again and again. His son suffered brain damage as a baby. Bennett actually has 2 children with disabilities. He also has a daughter thats confined to a wheelchair from Arthrogryposis, a disorder that causes joint deformity.

Leber

Bench
Jason Taylor, David Kidwell, Reappoint Steve Kearney,

What other likely options are we going to see?

Big Marn

Juniors
I guess a 2IC from a current team could come from left field, but i doubt it would be well received.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Jason Taylor, David Kidwell, Reappoint Steve Kearney,

What other likely options are we going to see?

Yuck, Yuck and even Yucker.

Would rather a Toovey or the Walker bros than those names mentioned.

I really hope we get someone good.

Blair

Coach
I now call a major disappointment an “Elliott”

I've got an idea, why doesn't the new owner get Bluey, Iro, Elliott, Cappy, Mooks and Payten in a huddle. See if he can rack their brains for a solution to the current crisis.

Reactions: JJ

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
In regards to Bennett, we should probably also temper any interest in him with the fact he comes with his own set of issues. Obviously he's had success but we all know he's left clubs in disarray after he goes, and it's not like we can say the Bunnies are flying this year. Just got back into the 8 last night with a 6 and 6 record, were 10th before that. And with a pretty reasonable roster.

If he's coming, it should probably be in the same capacity as the 2005 World Cup. A 'technical adviser' or head of football, with someone else (ie Payten) at the helm with a view to longer term.

Scott

Bench
The word around is that the so called experienced person "has a year to go".

I can't see it being Bennett.

Someone with "a year to go" is Shane Flanagan. He has 2021 where he can't be a 'Head Coach'.
Plenty of ways around that if you ask me.

Food for thought.

Latest posts