What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Shredder

Juniors
I dont really get the impression that Madge is a "buy elites" kinda coach.

He seems to much prefer younger players on the way up. The fact he seemed pretty uninterested in Latrell I think proves this. It was head office pushing this, not the coach.

Tigerm

First Grade

He seems to much prefer younger players on the way up. The fact he seemed pretty uninterested in Latrell I think proves this. It was head office pushing this, not the coach.
He had a few elite players in his squad at the rabbits, I am happy to develop players, but we have been basically the worst side in the NRL for a decade and we should expect better.
We are in this continually development mode, that goes nowhere, though finally we are looking at better players outside our system. But that maybe another couple of seasons for that to bear fruit.
A quick back and a goal kicker is not too much to ask for surely.

Tigerm

First Grade
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/a75f573357d6860c3bcdbf979cb60023

Even if Cam Smith leaves, the Storm will lose one of the NRL’s most promising No.9s

Cameron Smith may or may not be wearing Melbourne’s purple colours on the field in season 2021.
But whether he is or isn’t, Paul Kent says the Storm must ready themselves to lose one of the two young gun hookers the club wants desperately to keep.

Brandon Smith and Harry Grant have both spent several years vying for the right to replace the 400-game legend in the club’s No.9 jumper once he walks away from it.

Grant has been loaned to Wests Tigers this year but has committed to returning to the Victorian capital next season.

Brandon Smith has remained in Melbourne and has been playing a bench role, lock, and prop positions as he awaits the starting hooker spot.

They are two of the game’s outstanding young talents and the Storm would hope to keep them both.

But Kent told NRL 360 that won’t be happening.

“Even if Cameron does retire, and Harry goes back there next year, both of them won’t be there in 2022,” Kent said.

NRL 360 panellist Lara Pitt explained why Brandon Smith could ultimately choose to leave the Storm.

“Brandon wants to be the starting No.9 at Melbourne next year and then he wants to be the starting No.9 for New Zealand,” Pitt said.

Brandon Smith has previously stated his desire to be an NRL starting hooker, although has always been happy to wait in line behind Smith.

“Brandon Smith needs to play starting nine next year to get picked for the Kiwis at the World Cup in No.9,” Kent said.

“In 2022 one of them will be at the Storm, not both.”

There’s also constant speculation Queensland star Grant may want to ditch his Storm deal and remain at Concord, where he has enjoyed a breakout year and is in the fight for a Dally M Medal in his rookie season.

Yep. He publicised his disinterest. He went up there to see Latrell, but probably “ threw the arm over”.

Titans paid too much for young fifi. I don’t think any player is worth more than 650 myself. We should have caps in these co vid times.

Can't believe Eisenhuth has been dropped after all the work, metres and tackles he has done over the past 6-8 weeks. Should be there instead of Clark who offers absolutely nothing as a prop.

Apparently he is injured. Been playing with a strapped knee I think, now that Twal is back it gives Madge the luxury to rest him.

Apparently he is injured. Been playing with a strapped knee I think, now that Twal is back it gives Madge the luxury to rest him.

Twal is our factory big game player, he’d be one of a small handful of our players that would waltz into any side in the comp.

He will be restless to get out there and reclaim his spot as lion of the effing den.

He’s either on idle or turbo.

He would have been watching the likes of Allo, Blore and Packer shifting gears and be chomping at the bit to take his rightful place at the absolute top of the heap.

He was delivering A games when there was no hope.

He has the heart of a Cameron McInness.

Bring it on.

Last edited:
Yes, he didn't mention Easts & Souths?

I noticed that too.

They get a bit of a high profile and then go on to say stupid and damaging things as some kind of dumb solution to something they don’t know about.

A lot of them came out with co-vid advice in the early days, basically transplanting their own life experiences and circumstances onto others.

Sorry Freddy, I am not a millionaire or keep lamas. I’m happy for you, but stfu and coach NSW and entertain on tv.

Keep out of my clubs business please. Stay away from my engagement with the game.

He’s one of scores of the overpaid, brain dead footy celeb heads.

They also fall into league-speak and most of the same the same boring thing.

axl rose

Bench
St George had agreed that Tristan sailor was going to loaned to the Wests Tigers. However signing Asu ended this..
Other than a famous surname and a few trys at a nines tournament I just don't think he's anything special.
I noticed that too.

They get a bit of a high profile and then go on to say stupid and damaging things as some kind of dumb solution to something they don’t know about.

I had the 'pleasure' of meeting a few of these dropkicks at a country carnival way back when. Mario Fenech was the only decent one. Just dont mention the time Benny got him sent off for biting his own arm.

Tigerm

First Grade
5 good Madge points:

1. good players are arriving. Blore, Grant turned up, bj and Lucy have been good, stefano, ad is here. More are coming. A couple of halves, backs, we are in business. Can’t work miracles overnight.

2. The forwards continue to impress. My fave JA, Twal and Packer has lifted 4 gears. Eiso. Nofo is try leader on the wing in the comp. Clark and sey putting their hands up lately. Desire.

3. All teams need to improve each year, we are much stronger and tougher than last year. Finally having 80 minute games, played great footy against the panthers, didn’t give up v eels like last year. Can get out there and belt other sides. Put the hammer down against broncs. Held them scoreless. Just f**ked them beyond saving. Some great spells in defence this year. Total blockout v panthers under seige for ages. Only happy killed us in an amazing night for him. Tough footy when required.

4. Whole of squad system to cover for lapses in form, injuries, makes the cruel decisions, talks the boys up, engenders confidence and self belief. the boys turn up. It’s taken awhile, but I sense the hunger.

5. On paper, we should be 9-12, but we’ve had our dalliances into the top 8. Players are generally brought in when it’s right and sacked when it’s right. Good system below Madge.

All this with a couple of passengers, beloved rowdy, Steve McQueen and bloody mbye around our necks. The Brooks affair has been tough. MCK, poor kid.

Let’s avoid our chronic goal kicker issue. That’s a real problem. But ffs, no Esan to bet against.

Plus his club duties and press conferences, he speaks well, takes responsibility and never talks shit. He’s likeable and approachable.

So I’m prepared to offer him about 5k more per game than Mary for the hope and promise.

I’m predicting a few elites by 2022. If Harry comes back, we could be well up there.

Coaching is about inspiration not just recruitment, he’s lifting the players. Same paging at times. That broncos game, close if not best performance since gf. I don’t know anyone who thinks we haven’t climbed up some rungs this year.

The sponsors love him. They are pleased. That’s important as they will continue to pump the dough in. A delivery company sponsor during a pandemic Is pretty secure.

Anyway that’s what’s I think, could well be wrong, fine and happy if folks disagree.

All that said, the club always comes first. I’m prepared to plot and plan to get our man at an affordable rate. No one is indispensable.
It’s all meaningless if you don’t win, nothing much has changed.

gordsy

Juniors
Other than a famous surname and a few trys at a nines tournament I just don't think he's anything special.

I had the 'pleasure' of meeting a few of these dropkicks at a country carnival way back when. Mario Fenech was the only decent one. Just dont mention the time Benny got him sent off for biting his own arm.
That kick in behind he made for the try last night was a nice touch.