What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

King Sonny Bill may return to the NRL... Which club should he join?

Where should Sonny Bill play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Quicksilver

Bench
You can't use precedent for entirely different circumstances, I guess if we have another global pandemic and we have teams withdraw from an entire season then they could use this as precedent

Well if you can’t use precedent then we don’t have rules.

so I guess we just don’t have rules

Quicksilver

Bench
A major north American city on the other side of the world with zero rugby league history and hence very little commercial opportunities as well as a very low quality squad. SBW has always valued family and glory and Toronto was literally the last place where he was going to have either of those things also for the 500th time the entire value of the contract was outside the salary cap but that point is conveniently ignored by you and others

It’s not conveniently forgotten. No one is saying he would be worth $5mil in the NRL.

Just that the valuation for this obviously valuable player (as per your argument above) is wrong

Quicksilver

Bench
$150k for 6 rounds equates to a $600K valuation for a regular 24 round season.

It’s not exactly rocket science

well that’s not my maths. Speak to the NRL rocket scientist. If sonny is $600k you might not be able to fit him in after all.

(assuming the above article is true)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Pretty much.

He is going to be a stop gap to help our backrow injury toll. If Radley and Crichton were both fit and health SBW wouldn't even make our bench.

He'll be lucky to play 15-20 mins per game

I hope he does so we can laugh at him when he drops the same amount of balls he did for Toronto! Probably on $25k a turn over lol.

Nevan_

First Grade
It’s not conveniently forgotten. No one is saying he would be worth $5mil in the NRL.

Just that the valuation for this obviously valuable player (as per your argument above) is wrong

This new Schrödinger’s Sonny Bill Williams argument from Roosters apologists is laughable. He’s passed his best so they don’t have to sign him at market value (which isn’t 5 million) but still big enough to warrant further erosion of the fan’s trust in the fairness of the competition.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well Toronto paid way overs to begin with. And in his first few games, he wasn't setting the world on fire. That 400k is closer to a more accurate market evaluation than Toronto's $5 million.

The concern I have is that SBW is about to receive special exemption from having two contracts. The NRL argues that it gives them flexibility in special circumstances, but other players will find some form of loophole to get around it.

If I was Ponga I'd be using this precedent for an NRL contract, and a Union one to play in the Olympics if it is now ok to have two contracts!

This new Schrödinger’s Sonny Bill Williams argument from Roosters apologists is laughable. He’s passed his best so they don’t have to sign him at market value (which isn’t 5 million) but still big enough to warrant further erosion of the fan’s trust in the fairness of the competition.

So SBW has to go to a club you want and not where he wants to go huh? When did Australia become communist? :rolleyes:

Going by media reports the Warriors approached him, as did the Dragons and then the Roosters. He didn't want to go to the Warriors nor Dragons That is his choice.

Further if you look at professional sports pretty much world wide, in many similar cases where a player is approaching the end of their professional career, and they have already earned a pile of money, when going to a new club they tend to go to ones where they have a chance to win a title and not to teams who won't.

Nevan_

First Grade
So SBW has to go to a club you want and not where he wants to go huh? When did Australia become communist? :rolleyes:

Going by media reports the Warriors approached him, as did the Dragons and then the Roosters. He didn't want to go to the Warriors nor Dragons That is his choice.

Further if you look at professional sports pretty much world wide, in many similar cases where a player is approaching the end of their professional career, and they have already earned a pile of money, when going to a new club they tend to go to ones where they have a chance to win a title and not to teams who won't.

Nice straw man. He can play for whatever club he wants to as long as the contract is in line with the rules and spirit of the salary cap (see: market value).

What happens in other sports is irrelevant to the discussion. You have intentionally overlooked the fact that the Roosters have a reputation for flaunting the rules and receiving preferential treatment

Quicksilver

Bench
35 year old bench backrower $800k? I think not.

sonny bill is the best ever though. That’s the argument as to why he needed to be brought back. Boost ratings etc.

as stated above- he’s simultaneously the best player going around and some over the hill hack.

jack coburn

Juniors
If I was Ponga I'd be using this precedent for an NRL contract, and a Union one to play in the Olympics if it is now ok to have two contracts!

If you sign for any club that folds there shouldn't be any reason you can't come back.
Bit different than playing with 2 clubs.
Mind you I think they all should be able to play union in the off season if they want to . I don't have any issue with it.
As was said Gasnier played union then came back for 10 games and the finals for 100k to me this is no different.

AJB1102

First Grade
sonny bill is the best ever though. That’s the argument as to why he needed to be brought back. Boost ratings etc.

as stated above- he’s simultaneously the best player going around and some over the hill hack.

If it was 28 year old SBW from 7 years ago sure.

SBW attracts a lot of attention. Any gains the code gets are a bonus. How many extra eyeballs his 15-20 off the bench brings in I'm not sure will be too significant.

Speculating what offers he'd attract on the open market is pointless as he doesn't go to open market. He wouldn't entertain playing anywhere but Roosters.

greenBV4

Bench
That fact that there is discrepancies between how much he will be on further fuels suspicions something dodgy is going on, 150k per game and 400k total dont add up!

Its why we should know exactly how much of the cap each club is spending - I get players want a bit of privacy, but an unnamed list and total should be made public to allow for better transparency

Latest posts