What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

blaza88z

Coach
I see people naming and shaming the 2 girls for their border hopping and falsifying documents but seriously, it was ALWAYS going to happen. People in Australia don't take this virus seriously, you could see just from the basic attitude of the public "it's just another flu", etc..

The Victorian government believe they are on top of the situation in Victoria.. well that's quite good but what about what's unfolding in NSW and now the beginning in QLD. Should've taken the NZ approach from Day 1, the federal government is delusional if they think they can manage this thing until a vaccine is created.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I see people naming and shaming the 2 girls for their border hopping and falsifying documents but seriously, it was ALWAYS going to happen. People in Australia don't take this virus seriously, you could see just from the basic attitude of the public "it's just another flu", etc..

The Victorian government believe they are on top of the situation in Victoria.. well that's quite good but what about what's unfolding in NSW and now the beginning in QLD. Should've taken the NZ approach from Day 1, the federal government is delusional if they think they can manage this thing until a vaccine is created.

With the greatest respect, you could have taken our approach and it wouldn't have worked. For the reason you said in the first paragraph. Your population is a lot less complicit than ours is. We've had isolated cases of revolt against the government's actions but they've been very few and far between. I believe that's a bit different over there. Same as America. There's a lot of benefit to being a non-complicit, strong-minded and opinionated society but in a pandemic, maybe not as much. We were prepared to suck it up in the short term and my life is now 99.5% back to the way it was before, and was around 2 months after the virus hit. I feel pretty grateful for that and the actions of fellow NZers.

Unfortunately we had a prime minister who decided his church buddy meetings were more important.

sup42

Juniors
With the greatest respect, you could have taken our approach and it wouldn't have worked. For the reason you said in the first paragraph. Your population is a lot less complicit than ours is. We've had isolated cases of revolt against the government's actions but they've been very few and far between. I believe that's a bit different over there. Same as America. There's a lot of benefit to being a non-complicit, strong-minded and opinionated society but in a pandemic, maybe not as much. We were prepared to suck it up in the short term and my life is now 99.5% back to the way it was before, and was around 2 months after the virus hit. I feel pretty grateful for that and the actions of fellow NZers.
They probably should have tried. Part of the NZ success was directed top down. There was no grey areas, the message was stark, and clear.

I take your point though. However the Australian govt from what I observed tried to have their cake and eat it too.

Still to be fair, it was working till individuals let the whole team down.

The thing about Covid 19 is that by virtue of the Asymptomatic spread, and the low threat to the young, this generation can afford to make it a pseudo intellectual exercise. They have that luxury.

Without being Captain obvious, there will come a time where a virus will kill most of its victims, we know for fact this happens.

You will see these pricks go very quiet if all their mates are dead and half there families, well you wont see them because they will go into hiding or they will die.

Its coming. The conditions that cause epidemics are accelerating, some time in the not too distant future there will come a virus that just kills and runs rampant from epidemic to pandemic, till it burns itself out. We used to think that it will almost certainly be a strain of influenza, well we know different now.

Frailty

First Grade
They probably should have tried. Part of the NZ success was directed top down. There was no grey areas, the message was stark, and clear.

I take your point though. However the Australian govt from what I observed tried to have their cake and eat it too.

The thing about Covid 19 is that by virtue of the Asymptomatic spread, and the low threat to the young, this generation can afford to make it a pseudo intellectual exercise. They have that luxury.

Without being Captain obvious, there will come a time where a virus will kill most of its victims, we know for fact this happens.

You will see these pricks go very quiet if all their mates are dead and half there families, well you wont see them because they will go into hiding or they will die.

Its coming. The conditions that cause epidemics are accelerating, some time in the not too distant future there will come a virus that just kills and runs rampant from epidemic to pandemic, till it burns itself out. We used to think that it will almost certainly be a strain of influenza, well we know different now.

Funnily enough, the more deadly a virus is, the less likely it is to become a sizeable pandemic.

sup42

Juniors
Funnily enough, the more deadly a virus is, the less likely it is to become a sizeable pandemic.
The easier it is to be rid of using social interventions too.
Fortunately evolution's design is to try not to kill the host. Covid does pretty well on this score.

The worst case scenario will be a virus that is lethal and has a late onset of of symptoms.

Or if it is an influenza, the worst thing that could happen (and has happened in history) that after the first wave it mutates after being a less alarming pandemic and kills most of its hosts in its second iteration.

Covid would be pretty easy to stop if there were not these asymptomatic carriers.

unforgiven

Bench

The most dangerous viruses are not the ones that kill all the cases as they tend to burn themselves out as dead people are not walking around spreading it to others, the most successful viruses are one that keep the host alive while being highly contagious. What is scary is the potential of the evolution of a virus that is as contagious as measles and has a death rate of around 10-20%, if it as lots of asymptomatic cases as well then we would be in a lot of trouble. As the world has shown if we don't take these things seriously something like that will decimate some countries.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

Oh they should 100% have tried. And the binding factor between all nations who have been badly affected I imagine is the 'have your cake and eat it' approach, or just the general 'it's a flu, harden up I'm not changing my lifestyle' approach. I just know that the hard and firm, no grey areas approach had much less chance of working in Australia, certainly America etc. Much more of a 'you can't tell me what to do' approach there than in NZ.

It's definitely a frightening prospect for the future, however I count myself lucky as an NZer that a) we have a geographic advantage and b) our desire to be compliant and the fact we lived through a campaign that worked will mean we'll be much more likely to do the right thing in the future too.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
People in Australia don't take this virus seriously, you could see just from the basic attitude of the public "it's just another flu", etc..

a rather general statement, dont you think ?

it was 3 young girls, not Australia

Frailty

First Grade
a rather general statement, dont you think ?

it was 3 young girls, not Australia

It is definitely a general statement, but do not underplay it by saying 'it was 3 young girls'.

Literally in the last few days in Victoria we've had the following stories:
  • A man who tested positive was found not to be at home in quarantine because he went to work.
  • A man was fined for driving from Dandenong to South Yarra for convenience store coffee.
  • Six men were fined after they claimed to be at a work meeting - they hired a short-term rental and were found to be drinking and watching TV.
  • Couple were fined after being found camping 100s of Kms away from home.
  • This morning we have people holding a mass gathering at the Shrine of Remembrance "to honour the ANZACS". This was circulated amongst the anti-mask facebook pages.
Victoria Police are literally fining more than 100 people per day for breaching lockdown and quarantine. The mess Victoria is in is simply because people do not take it seriously.

Frailty

First Grade
99% of people seem to be taking it very seriously down here, the 1% who think they're special and rules don't apply are ruining it for the rest of us.

Just announced that 25% of door knocks on positive cases by ADF have shown not to be at home. Definitely taking it seriously.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Clive Palmer has become public enemy #1 in WA!
I hope he doesn't plan on doing any business here for the foreseeable future. If he wins the case then there will be no border lock downs and it will be free for all, then we are all fricked!

Latest posts