What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 11 vs Bulldogs @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 11: Knights v Bulldogs

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 1-12

• Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Knight Vision

First Grade
or do we go back to giving Ponga another crack there under O'Brien and put Hoy to 1?
Ponga certainly has the skill set, but.....

Is it weakening one position to strengthen another, he's still learning what it is to be an NRL fullback and I believe in a couple of seasons more we could have the best FB in the game.

The pressure would be immense, I'm talking blow torch stuff. FOX would be all over it. The slightest error would trigger a 20 min FOX special with Mick Ennis waxing lyrical about the demise of Ponga's career and is AOB the right man for the job..

Any Ponga positional change would take time, and plenty of patience. I think it would be best done in a more established team under less pressure ( for Pongas' sake )

Knight Vision

First Grade
The player needed at 5/8 is not going to cone cheaply. He must be quality will all the skills needed to support Pearce ie run, pass, kick, vision, create, defend. Not a part timer, not a rookie but a genuine 5/8.
This

Planning should already be underway to replace Pearce in any case, he's at the end of his career

Spot On

Coach
Bellamy is a freak though. The rate of improvement in Papenhuyzen has been phenominal. Yes, Slater is helping as well but Mlb don't f**k around developing talent, they have a production line of spine players. They have three incredible number 9's on the books ffs.

Last edited:

Knight Vision

First Grade
Bellamy is a freak though. The rate of improvement in Papenhuyzen has been phenominal. Yes, Slater is helping as well but Mlb don't f**k around developing talent, they have a production line of spine players. They have three incredible number 9's on the books ffs.
Rorters same, they dont develop they just pay big money for 16 yr olds that are a near to sure bet.

They have Flanagan, Lachlan Lamb ( had huge wraps ) and last year signed 16 yr old Sam Walker on a 300 K 2 year deal. .....mirrors what they did to get Cordner.

Yosh

Coach
Rorters same, they dont develop they just pay big money for 16 yr olds that are a near to sure bet.

They have Flanagan, Lachlan Lamb ( had huge wraps ) and last year signed 16 yr old Sam Walker on a 300 K 2 year deal. .....mirrors what they did to get Cordner.

They have the most appeal of any club in the league though. We have a big enough catchment area that if we work it right, I'm sure we won't keep losing the Inglises, Corners, Latrells, Pangai and the Haases.

Just a thought and a tad late but you guys reckon Brown saw that Pearce needed a great 5/8th next to him and decided early to try Ponga there?

aqua_duck

Coach

I don't think any young halfback is a near to sure bet. Most of the better halves of the past decade have been guys who initially weren't high rated, guys like JT, Cronk, Keary, Walker, DCE, Maloney etc weren't highly rated juniors in fact not one of them made the Australian schoolboys team. I have a theory with halves that the ones that are really good juniors tend to struggle in the too grade because they get overcoached as kids and don't develop the natural instincts to play what's in front of them with Pearce being a perfect example.

Still Nutty

Juniors
Agree with your point re Bellamy and the Mlb machine...but what they also have re spine is the best number 9 to pull on a jersey, who also has the ability to enhance and maximise the strengths of all those other spine players around him.

Along with that, he also seems to be able to minimise exposure of their deficiencies through his game and player management, where they are likely to get found out or exploited by oppositions in other systems...I loathe him with a passion but I'd have him in a NSW or Newcastle jersey in a heartbeat

TooheysNew

Coach
We've been down this path with Coby before... and his response was nearly identical.

He is Nathan Brown, as Sots suggested.

Checkout the 'Sack Brown' thread if you haven't already.

"Of course, we aren't going to win every game"

Classic stuff.

Ah there you are