What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

King Sonny Bill may return to the NRL... Which club should he join?

Where should Sonny Bill play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Quicksilver

Bench
So the argument is based on his super league contract with all things being equal his entire salary should be outside the cap as it is with his wolf pack contract?

nah.

The argument is that no one goes paying $5 mil for a nuffy.
Especially when the other best players in the game are maybe on a touch over a mil.

Quicksilver

Bench
I'm not even a roosters fan but let's be honest, would there be this much of a blow up if he was signing with the warriors/bulldogs/titans on the exact same deal?

yeah, there would be from me because it’s the figure that is out.

Although I think an argument could be made to allow him to join the Warriors given the ACTUAL unprecedented nature of their predicament this year.

But the Warriors situation still probably wouldn’t require such a blatant under-quoting of his value since half the team have already gone home.

The Roosters are not in a place where they need rules bent for them- and neither is any other Australian based team.

aqua_duck

Coach
nah.

The argument is that no one goes paying $5 mil for a nuffy.
Especially when the other best players in the game are maybe on a touch over a mil.
As I've mentioned a thousand times and you've ignored a thousand times they paid for him for marketing, promotion and branding, also it's not exactly easy to attract a big name to a city with no league history or exposure and a shit team, he was also paid outside the cap as a marquee player. In any event the most recent examples of his playing ability that can be used to determine market value is the 3-4 games he played at the beginning of the year where he struggled. How many NRL teams would've signed up that version of sbw for $800k a year?

Perth Red

Post Whore
As I've mentioned a thousand times and you've ignored a thousand times they paid for him for marketing, promotion and branding, also it's not exactly easy to attract a big name to a city with no league history or exposure and a shit team, he was also paid outside the cap as a marquee player. In any event the most recent examples of his playing ability that can be used to determine market value is the 3-4 games he played at the beginning of the year where he struggled. How many NRL teams would've signed up that version of sbw for $800k a year?

Like Toronto paying him $5mill, it isnt so much the playing ability as the prestige. Dont kid yourself that these chairman dont have inflated egos and his brand also brings value. Id be very surprised if he couldn't have got $600-800k if he had wanted to come back at beginning of the year. Clubs pay stupid money for numpties all the time. I think a value of around $700k isnt far off what he could have commanded for a full season and should have been the amount pro rata the NRL is looking at to value him.

greenBV4

Bench
I'm not even a roosters fan but let's be honest, would there be this much of a blow up if he was signing with the warriors/bulldogs/titans on the exact same deal?
depends, is it 400k or 600k? if it were 400 then yeah probably (maybe not to the same extent), but 600 is more reasonble (maybe still on the low side)- but the issue there is whether the roosters are currently 600 under the cap (I'm not saying yes or no to this, just recognising the argument)

Nevan_

First Grade
No complex here. Just give me some cold, straightforward, unemotional, documented facts. Explain why the NRL, the police or a journalist hasn’t questioned Finch’s so called claim.

Now we have the nirvana fallacy. Seeing as you have no argument, all you can do is attempt to discredit the evidence by setting unrealistic standards. Brett Finch, a former player, told his story on a popular program TO A JOURNALIST (Paul Kent) who added to the story.

Yep, yet again the thinking I was criticising "the rumours about club A turned out to be true so they must be true about club B" despite the fact there is no evidence.

Further if there was any substance to the rumours, why is it that not a single solitary journalist, investigative body or regulatory authority has found anything in the what 20 odd years of these rumours, or are they all complicit in the cover up too? :rolleyes: :p

Heaven help anyone in court who winds up with you on a jury, you'd find them guilty base on your feelings, along with rumour and innuendo and despite the lack of facts or evidence.

See above. I would absolutely consider the testimony of a whistleblower. Do you realise how many convictions are influenced by former insiders? I wouldn’t trust you in a food court let alone a court of law.

Valheru

Coach
Now we have the nirvana fallacy. Seeing as you have no argument, all you can do is attempt to discredit the evidence by setting unrealistic standards. Brett Finch, a former player, told his story on a popular program TO A JOURNALIST (Paul Kent) who added to the story.

See above. I would absolutely consider the testimony of a whistleblower. Do you realise how many convictions are influenced by former insiders? I wouldn’t trust you in a food court let alone a court of law.

Can you please provide a link to exactly what Brett Finch said?

I just did a quick google search and can't find anything.

Give me an argument to argue about. Given you are dealing with hearsay and devoid of actual evidence, can you at least give me your opinion on why a journalist like Kent, a merkin that likes to dig a knife into the game whenever he can, doesn’t follow up on this pearl delivered by Finchy? Why another journalist from a rival rag doesn’t pick up the scoop or the NRL or the police don’t ask questions?

Oooo, the smoking gun. Its a conspiracy!!!!!!!!!! Its so hot that obviously heaps of other media organisations have jumped on it, reported it, done further investigation on it and found it all 100% accurate and factual right? :rolleyes: I mean the media never publish/broadcast falsehood do they :rolleyes:

Go back to your conspiracy theory website mate and talk to your fellow believers about the "ongoing conspiracies" and your "facts".

What you know about a court of law wouldn't fit on a pin head.

Valheru

Coach
Give me an argument to argue about. Given you are dealing with hearsay and devoid of actual evidence, can you at least give me your opinion on why a journalist like Kent, a merkin that likes to dig a knife into the game whenever he can, doesn’t follow up on this pearl delivered by Finchy? Why another journalist from a rival rag doesn’t pick up the scoop or the NRL or the police don’t ask questions?

Do you have any clue what he is actually referring to?

I have asked him twice for a link but no luck so far.

Zadar

Juniors
Most of the recent salary cap exposures have come about due to disgruntled ex-staff at the club. I know of plenty of people who left the Roosters employ on bad terms. Yet in all that time not one has come forward saying there was a cooking of the books.

I mean do you seriously think my club, which is known to leak like a sieve, would be able to keep this a secret for 30 odd years (which is when the salary cap first came in for rugby league at a professional level) with nothing coming out? Crap, my club couldn't even keep it secret that Brad Fittler was going to be fired as First Grade Coach long enough for Freddy to be told in person before the information went public!

I look at facts, not "feelings".

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Zadar

Juniors

you have also left out that uncle Nick pays any former players of the roosters a yearly contribution to their super funds to keep quiet about any underhanded business they may have been part of.

can you read us another fairytale please Neville.

aqua_duck

Coach
depends, is it 400k or 600k? if it were 400 then yeah probably (maybe not to the same extent), but 600 is more reasonble (maybe still on the low side)- but the issue there is whether the roosters are currently 600 under the cap (I'm not saying yes or no to this, just recognising the argument)
There was never a suggestion they were 600k under but depend on which report you listen to $150-300k under.

aqua_duck

Coach
Like Toronto paying him $5mill, it isnt so much the playing ability as the prestige. Dont kid yourself that these chairman dont have inflated egos and his brand also brings value. Id be very surprised if he couldn't have got $600-800k if he had wanted to come back at beginning of the year. Clubs pay stupid money for numpties all the time. I think a value of around $700k isnt far off what he could have commanded for a full season and should have been the amount pro rata the NRL is looking at to value him.
800k at the beginning of the year isn't unreasonable but what about based on his 3-4 matches for Toronto?

greenBV4

Bench
There was never a suggestion they were 600k under but depend on which report you listen to $150-300k under.
Then how do they fit in SBW valued at 400-600k per year? I get hes only playing a couple of games but isn't the salary cap based on yearly rates?

Quicksilver

Bench
Then how do they fit in SBW valued at 400-600k per year? I get hes only playing a couple of games but isn't the salary cap based on yearly rates?

The other issue is that he’s allowed to come in for the most important part of the year. The games that matter. With a top 8 system the first half of the year doesn’t matter all that much.

Latest posts