What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wingers wave the white flag

Crush

Coach
Have there ever been wingers that get into space with nobody in front of them yet they look for support (Dufty) as much as the current SGI wingers?
Seriously, they are fricken wingers not prop fowards!
Its highly embarrassing.
They have one job, run fast and finish tries!

We need 2 brand spanking new wingers before round 1 next year.

Crush

Coach
JP had latrell mitchell in front of him and he passed it to Dufty way too early anyway. We do need some speed out wide, Rav can put the foot down but isn't ever going to beat players like Johnston.
JPs first thought was where is support.
Back yourself FFS! Run hard and fast! Swerve! Take him on!
Then look for support if you need it.....

Crush

Coach
Of all the areas to point blame tonight, that is a weird flex
Its valid.
Our wingers are sub-par.
Maybe not as high on the priority list as getting Hunt and Norman out of the halves but still important, we need new wingers.

Crush

Coach
We lost again tonight because we lost the play the ball yet again.

Our forwards are soft. Blaming our wingers, who were both good tonight, is an interesting tactic, Cotton
If that is our wingers being good I'd hate to see them playing poorly.....

Have there ever been wingers that get into space with nobody in front of them yet they look for support (Dufty) as much as the current SGI wingers?
Seriously, they are fricken wingers not prop fowards!
Its highly embarrassing.
They have one job, run fast and finish tries!

We need 2 brand spanking new wingers before round 1 next year.

Agree re the lack of speedy wingers.
PS that is two jobs you have mentioned :smiley:

Crush

Coach
JP had an objectively good game tonight. 222 metres, 2 line breaks and no bad defensive reads or errors that I can remember.
Alex Johnston scored 3 tries, 1 try assist, 289 metres.
We should aim higher.

Kylez3

Juniors
Alex Johnston scored 3 tries, 1 try assist, 289 metres.
We should aim higher.

....so both players had a good game? If the wingers are what you're focusing on after that game, well I think you should look a bit deeper.

Btw I'd love to have Alex Johntson at the club.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I would say comfortably that JP was probably the best winger out there tonight.

If we are splitting hairs on his line break, its just a split second of difference, yes he passed too early, but at the same time he could have tried to beat Mitchel, get tackled and gets roasted for not passing. he could have tried a kick, but that may have gone dead etc etc etc.

Not his or Ravas fault we lost tonight, there were certain decisions made that had far greater impact on our performance than our wingers.

Old Timer

Coach
When we had the likes of Walford, Blacklock, J Moz and someone made a break they didn't look to slow down they always new if they ran flatoiut the winger would just loom up in support.

So it also was when we had Sowie and Choc in the halves.

We are so pedestrian for speed in these positions that there is little incentive for the bloke making the break and having wingers that are in the clear looking to dish it off is beyond a joke.

No substitute for having some raw speed on your wings and in your halves.

Latest posts