What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saints are completely f**ked - McGregor sacked

Mr Spock!

Referee
Would you rather be..

The Titans? Last in the top 4 of the comp the year we won it in 2010.. Never won a comp, last years' wooden spooners
The Eels? Convicted salary cap cheats and last won a comp in 1986..And the most spoons won of all current clubs (aside from JV's) - 14, including 3 this century. The Uri Geller of Rugby League
The Storm? Convicted salary cap cheats, and from Victoria.. Wooden Spooners in 2010.
The Bulldogs? Convicted Salary Cap Cheats AND Dunces. Haven't won a comp since 2003, A board that's less harmonious than the Gallagher brothers. Now running dead last, no major sponsor - all after making the GF in 2014.
The Sharks? Convicted of peptides - but spoon winners in 2014! What a year!, Premiership CEO and fullback sacked from marching powder, Premiership winning coach stood down twice, and eventually deregistered, 1 competition win in 53 years...
The Warriors? No competition wins, no new head coach appointed, getting flogged every second week. But alas - no spoons!
The Tigers? One competition in over 50 years, in the same time the dragons have won 3. And with a grand total of 21 Spooooons between JV clubs.
The Cowboys? Gone from Title winners in 2015, Grand Finalists in 2017, to finishing 14th only 2 years later. Now currently 12th and sacked their coach. The biggest and fall from grace of all clubs this decade. Also - Thrice Spooooooners.
The Rabbitohs? One Competition win in almost 50 years, 8 wooden spoons - 3 this century.
The Knights? Three Spoons in the last 5 years, consecutively. Last competition win was 2001. However have made finals twice in 10 years, so maybe that helps their case?
The Raiders? Haven't won a comp since 1994, and one grand final appearance since - which they lost.
The Panthers? Last won in 2003. A Club renowned for sacking and paying multiple coaches, champions of whatsapp and Tiktok videos, and 4 spoooons - two this century.
The Broncos? Last won a comp in 2006, Currently 2nd last, getting flogged to nil on numerous occasions, talk of sacking their coach over 3 seasons before his contract runs out....
The Roosters? ....Hmmmm. But would you REALLY prefer to be the Roosters??

How about the Bears? Jets? Crushers? Reds? Rams? Mariners?

Pretty good choices there.

Oh - almost forgot..

The Sea Eagles? ..... No Spoons ever, last won a comp in 2011.......... a team the Dragons beat 34-4 two rounds ago...

Go Manly!
Yeah pretty much....

Generalzod

Immortal
Yeah pretty much....
But seriously winning comps is all fine I waited a long time before the Sharks won a comp, but say if they didn’t I’ll still support them the good and the bad, the problem with St George is its great history 11 premiership in the row people talk about all the time, And hear lies the problem fans expect this all the time, that’s why you hear a lot of Dragons fans complaining on radio about their coach and lack of wins, Some ones going to win some ones going to lose...

But seriously winning comps is all fine I waited a long time before the Sharks won a comp, but say if they didn’t I’ll still support them the good and the bad, the problem with St George is its great history 11 premiership in the row people talk about all the time, And hear lies the problem fans expect this all the time, that’s why you hear a lot of Dragons fans complaining on radio about their coach and lack of wins, Some ones going to win some ones going to lose...

Point of my post there is that all clubs have their own shit, have been through shit, will go through shit. Some worse than others.

How fans deal with it depends on what they wanna focus on. Some focus on only the shit, can’t see anything but the shit, and they lose their shit.

BennyV

Referee
A lot of them would whinge and complain far less if the club at least pretended like they want to se successful, but it’s bleedingly obvious that the #1 priority of those in power is removing all avenues for that power to be diminished. #2 priority is to set their mates and family up with high paying jobs with no accountability (eg McGregor on $700k+ with no performance clauses!). #3 priority is to exist. That’s all! The only success they want is enough to keep the eyes off their dodgey dealings.

The former CEO admitted that McGregors average of 10th position was a ‘pass mark’ and the coach and a number of senior players have openly stated that their target for the year is only to reach the 8.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Mary is not doing that badly. The Saints are travelling better this year than 2019. Not every club can be premiers every year. Far too many clubs churn through coaches too quickly because they have boards filled with clueless idiots who just want to look like they're doing something.

shear_joy9

Coach
Mary’s use of the bench continues to be puzzling. It’s like asking why a crazy person talks to themselves.

Was the plan to bring sailor on after 66min or just because they fell behind? Then bringing him on in his first game of the season and having only a few under his belt and basically saying win us the match, is just throwing lambs to the slaughter

avocado

Juniors
Mary’s use of the bench continues to be puzzling. It’s like asking why a crazy person talks to themselves.

Was the plan to bring sailor on after 66min or just because they fell behind? Then bringing him on in his first game of the season and having only a few under his belt and basically saying win us the match, is just throwing lambs to the slaughter
Yep. That’s how we roll.

BadnMean

Juniors

Player development, Mary style. Not going to help in retaining junior talent either.

Generalzod

Immortal
Mary is not doing that badly. The Saints are travelling better this year than 2019. Not every club can be premiers every year. Far too many clubs churn through coaches too quickly because they have boards filled with clueless idiots who just want to look like they're doing something.
Tell that to St George supporters, the bloke has been coaching them for seven years showing no improvement at all considering the team he has.

Silent Knight

First Grade
The former CEO admitted that McGregors average of 10th position was a ‘pass mark’ and the coach and a number of senior players have openly stated that their target for the year is only to reach the 8.

My club has gone through this in the past, and even now it's a problem. I wasn't surprised when one of our former halves Brock Lamb came out and said that it was his goal just to play a few NRL games, this was after he retired from the NRL and is now playing in the local Newcastle comp. Wayne Bennett, as much as I don't like him, also mentioned that for some Newcastle players the goal was to just make first grade on a regular basis and I think there is some definite truth to that statement.

It goes back further to local juniors under Michael Hagan who thought they had a mortgage on a first grade spot, names like Clint Newton, Josh Perry and Adam Woolnough. And just this week, our coach Adam O'Brien came out and said there was a sense of entitlement amongst the players - https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/26...ks-stretched-after-watson-mccullough-hobbled/

It appalls me that this is where we're at as a club, when there was a time when players like Sarge, Joey and the Chief would have ripped shreds off any player who felt entitled and didn't put in. I think Adam O'Brien is going to turn it around, but I suspect there is some cancer within the club that will need to be cut out before we can move forward. Adam will need to promote some juniors who will have the right attitude and won't take their positions for granted, I think Bradman Best is a good recent example of this. The kid does not stop.

Adam is trying to instill culture change at the club, but if he's not careful there are a handful of players in our ranks who will drag him down like they did with Nathan Brown.