What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 12 vs. Cronulla Sharks

Big Pete

Referee
Brisbane Broncos vs. Cronulla Sharks
Suncorp Stadium, Friday 31 July 2020
Kick Off 7:55pm

TL-BRI20a.png

1. Darius Boyd 2. Richard Kennar 3. Kotoni Staggs 4. Herbie Farnworth 5. Xavier Coates 6. Anthony Milford 7. Tom Dearden 8. Thomas Flegler 9. Jake Turpin 10. Payne Haas 11. Joe Ofahengaue 12. Tevita Pangai Junior 13. Patrick Carrigan

Interchange: 14. Issac Luke 15. Rhys Kennedy 16. Ethan Bullemor 17. Ben Te'o

Reserves: 18. Cory Paix 19. Jordan Riki 20. Pride Petterson-Robati 21. Jesse Arthars

TL-CRO20a.png

1. Will Kennedy 2. Sione Katoa 3. Josh Dugan 4. Jesse Ramien 5. Ronaldo Mulitalo 6. Shaun Johnson 7. Connor Tracey 8. Braden Hamlin-Uele 9. Blayke Brailey 10. Aaron Woods 11. Briton Nikora 12. Wade Graham 13. Toby Rudolf

Interchange: 14. Siosifa Talakai 15. Jack Williams 16. Teig Wilton 17. Royce Hunt

Reserves: 18. Bryson Goodwin 19. Braydon Trindall 20. Jackson Ferris 21. Billy Magoulias

Big Pete

Referee
After experimenting with four other fullbacks, Anthony Seibold has been forced to bite the bullet and name former captain Darius Boyd at fullback. This move confirms how horrible the season has been for the Broncos since Boyd has no business being in the team let alone being at fullback. However, Isaako is away, Niu is out for the rest of the season and Milford was awful there last week so Boyd gets his wish.

Fingers crossed Jesse Arthars can come into the team, because Kennar is really just Manihera 2.0. He's decent at working the ball out of trouble and that's basically the tale of the tape. It'll also allow Herbie to return to the wing where he's far more comfortable.

I hope Seibs gets his interchanges right this week. He's contributed to the issues on the field with his bizarre interchanges and he's asking way too much out of his starting pack week in week out. I do think it's slightly stronger with Luke and Bullemor coming in. Gamble was a complete waste of a bench spot last week, I have no idea why he was drafted in when he was given such a simple role. It boggles my mind that they didn't give Hetherington that spot, especially since he can play 13 at a pinch. Regardless, Luke can come on and be given a license to run around for a tick.

There was some disappointment over the dismissal of Paix. I thought he played well last week and deserved the opportunity to play himself out of form, but I can understand the idea of managing his work-load and getting some use out of Luke while he's here. Paix is definitely a work in progress at this stage of his career, but he's the long term 9 if the coaching staff has any say.

Nice to see Riki's name back back in the reckoning. If he didn't suffer back to back injuries he would have played a couple of games by now. He's a prospect worth keeping an eye on and while I don't expect him to have an immediate impact like Fifita, he's certainly somebody who could develop over the next couple of years. He's very versatile, they had him playing out on the wing last year for Norths.

The Broncos were pretty up-beat with their performance last week. They felt they had the better of Melbourne at the start of the game until the likes of Hopoate and Gamble came on and surrendered Melbourne. With Turpin coming in which is a big inclusion, there's a feeling they could cause an upset and turn a corner heading into 2021.

I think the vicious cycle of league has caught up with the Broncos.

Expectations should be lower for the next few years.

Missing Fifita is ok, that was overs plus. Missed a bullet there.

Some signals last week that things are turning slowly.

Seibs has shown to be a good coach with a good side. Patience is the key.

I don’t think the old boy management stuff is helpful and the club should be looking to recruit management assets from elsewhere.

Last edited:

Mr Spock!

Referee
They felt they had the better of Melbourne at the start of the game until the likes of Hopoate and Gamble came on and surrendered Melbourne. With Turpin coming in which is a big inclusion, there's a feeling they could cause an upset and turn a corner heading into 2021.
Melbourne were terrible in the first half.

Mr Spock!

Referee
If Melbourne played the first half like they did the second, they would have hit 70. But they were awful.

Big Pete

Referee
Melbourne were terrible in the first half.

That first try put them in a false sense of security. They got a cheap set restart on tackle four and score a try off a Broncos mistake. After that, the forwards fired up and actually forced some errors which isn't all that uncommon for the Storm.

While I don't share the coach's optimism, it really was one of the Broncos better displays and they were in that contest until Brodie Croft threw a shocker of a pass straight to Addo-Carr to race away.

Nerd

Bench
Well another loss but much better game than the last 8 weeks. Our attack definitely goes up a gear with Turpin at dummy half and Dearden at 7. As usual just too many unforced errors let Cronulla back into the game. How good was Farnsworth at centre instead of Darius. I don't know if we can get another win this year but at least it lets Dearden learn his game a bit more. Boyd's best game in 2 years but as usual his defence was suspect on the line. For a guy that has played so much rep football he really does have a shocking tackling style.