What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 12 vs Souths

Old Timer

Coach
My take aways from tonights game
  • Souths started very slowly and we took some advantage of that and at the same time had some real luck in doing so.
  • Once Souths started to switch on and gain some momentum our job became harder and harder and it was and more evident we had no alternate idea as to how to get / wrestle the momentum back.
  • Take Dufty, Lomax and the individual moments out of our game and we have SFA.
  • Frizz played right with Hunt at 7 and we leaked points yet when Sims played RHS we did much better so why did they switch back?
  • People for the last few weeks believing Flanno was in charge and Mc Fookknuckle was there in name only so why criticise career coach why not criticise the bloke you were all applauding just the other day or were they switched back as well?
  • Sailor comes on with 13 to go and instantly Norman & Hunt take control of everything and it was if Sailor was told to just go out and stand there. No game plan for him or efforts to include him whatsoever. So he then resorts to the catch up style of play when he finally gets a bit of ball and unfortunately it came undone. Why the f**k wasn't he given the reins to run the show after all he was the bench impact man?
  • Any team that concentrate for 1 minute longer than us will always beat us under current circumstances.
  • As in previous years Mc Fookknuckle will persist with the out of form and busted rather than field a fully fit side and he will always pick the overpaid plodders.
  • Fuimaono has been talked up for long enough and tonight IMO he showed why he is in our side and not at another club.
  • Leading 16 nil is not the game you "should win" it is in fact the game you "never lose" and yet again we proved we are really capable of doing that.
  • Pleased for EA he has been doing some very nice stuff on the LHS just a shame he wasn't there 2 or 3 seasons ago.

getsmarty

Immortal
I am not doubting that at all. As I said, attack wise yes. But he has a lot of work to do defensively. Aitken has been bashed from pillar to post for rushing out of the line. Now Lomax is doing it but it’s acceptable?

The Difference being Aitken has been rushing out of the line for over 5 years...the poor kid hasn't even played an entire season at centre....let's give him a break.

And on Euan, it is good to see him improving and hopefully reaching his potential.

Kylez3

Juniors
The Difference being Aitken has been rushing out of the line for over 5 years...the poor kid hasn't even played an entire season at centre....let's give him a break.

And on Euan, it is good to see him improving and hopefully reaching his potential.

Aitken's defensive problems don't just amount to rushing out of the line either. His positioning and spacing are very suspect and his communication obviously isn't great either. The bad reads stem from having a total lack of understanding of the play unfolding in front of him.

To his credit, Aitken has been pretty solid overall for the past month but the hamstring injury will likely rule him out for a few weeks minimum.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade

Euan is on the last year of his contract. No surprise he’s playing good now. When he gets resigned again, just watch how good he is then.

slippery5

Juniors
Is it just me, or does anyone else think Lawrie is the slowest & less likely to bust a tackle in the competition? opposition always gets to the play the ball before he gets to marker. There is always dummy half runs when he is in the tackle because he takes no urgency in getting to his feet.

A few things from my perspective tonight.
None of our forwards seem to have any impact anymore.Maybe im seeing it wrong but Frizz,Vaughan and Sims (and i mean both Sims) seem to me to both be past their use by dates.Luckily our old plodder Graham has gone, but we still seem to be doing the same thing. 5 runs by forwards who have no intention of passing the ball, then a crap kick by Norman/ Hunt after that. We seem to be the only team sticking to this antiquated approach to play.
Sailor only brought on when we were behind and trying to play catchup. Why oh why is Norman still getting selected.
Both our wingers still want to come in and leave giant holes on the outside. I always thought Aitken was past his use by as well but he seems to have redeemed himself.
I was at the ground and thought -wow what a fantastic start-then watched it slowly disintergrate. Once again we gave away way too many penalties or 6 again. Whether we agree with it or not, we still seem to be slow learners when it comes to this
Ultimately we lost on 2 intercepts, but the whole crowd could see them coming.Weeks previous we did bullet passes that couldnt be intercepted-tonight slow and easily grabbed
Lastly had a row of Souths supporters behind us- not a good night all round.Most supporters gone by the time the team left the field. Didnt seem like the right time to bag our guys as they come off.Maybe they hadnt realised our season just disappeared tonight.But i did

jeffdragon

Bench
Tonight I did the 100km round trip to sit and watch the footy with the beloved grandson who wanted nothing more than a good showing by the team and possibly a win.

To see his face after 20 minutes was a delight and made it all so worthwhile.

To see his face after 80 minutes was just so sad (still worthwhile) but there was nothing that could be said to explain "why is it so".

Fo many of us in here we get to have some argy bargy with one another, agree, disagree, point fingers scream, swear and all the rest but watching young kids faces who have hopes and dreams shattered is a tragedy beyond fair.

We have often commented on the poor treatment of our junior footballers but the fact that we keep dishing this shit up to our young supporters and keep asking them to hold the line is beyond poor it is a disgrace.
I'm older and I feel the same way,during and after the game.
Ah it's the joys of following the dragons.
It keeps getting better and better

True_Believer

Juniors

You are right, he hasn't played in the centre role for a season yet. And as fanboy has pointed out, issues with the inside men have created problems defensively on that side as well - for both him and Aitken. However one try last night, and in previous games (the Joel Thompson try comes to mind immediately) it was just Zac's poor decision making in the line that has lead to tries. He's also made bad defensive decisions during the run of play.

Unlike others, I'm just pointing out deficiencies in his game, just as I and others have pointed out deficiencies in other young players games - Dufty's defence, Aitkens passing, Lawries go forward etc. They all have deficiencies that they need to work on and we have all pointed this out at one point or another. But for some reason, Lomax gets a free ride OR excuses made for him.

As I said, attack wise he's great and he is definitely skillfull. But unlike others, I'm not willing to make outlandish comments at this stage like "he's the best since Gasnier" and "he's the best centre in the game at the moment".

All this crap about age and giving him a break - if he's old enough and good enough to have that sort of praise thrown at him, then he's old enough to accept some criticism in the areas where he needs to improve.

rasaint

Juniors
Sensible post true believer.

I have also pointed out Zac’s lack of dash and problems with defence. I also praised his last few weeks showing good attacking moves, sublime high ball catch and running good lines, plus goal kicking ability. Last night was a poor game for Zac. They had a field day running RHS last night. Let’s hope for better times going forward because he in on big coin for the next 6 years ( yes 6 years).

Without Dufty we have nothing. Trouble is he will continue to be marked heavily as teams know how desperately we need him to ignite Or finish off something through speed.

getsmarty

Immortal

• ‘That’ll do me’: Dragons try leaves commentators and fans baffled in bunker grounding drama
    The St George Illawarra Dragons have had another bunker furore with commentators and fans erupting over the head-scratching call.

Andrew McMurtry

@AndrewMcMurtry
    6086628d18816d3c0e06bc36cff51f11

July 31, 20205:11am
    0533b917ca1ec666a9c0a6ff1c432683

The St George Illawarra Dragons and South Sydney Rabbitohs were locked in a high-scoring thriller by halftime of their Thursday night Indigenous round clash.

After going 16-0 down after 15 minutes, the Rabbitohs hit back to make it 16-all at halftime and took the lead early in the second half.

But the Dragons hit back through Tyson Frizell who scored a contentious try where he appeared to ground the ball with his wrist.

It wasn’t a knockout blow with the Rabbitohs hitting back to run out 32-24 winners but the decision has once again raised concerns over the bunker.

A week after the Dragons were on the wrong side of a bunker call when Matt Dufty grounded a ball in the in-goal but a try was awarded to the Cronulla Sharks, St George Illawarra were the beneficiaries of a call that had commentators and fans scratching their heads.

While not as clear as last week’s call, commentators and fans were perplexed as to how Frizell could have gathered the ball with his wrist.

23c48b990bcfa7fe83d79be1ebea2e22

Tyson Frizell scored a try with his wrist but commentator and fans were left puzzled.Source:FOX SPORTS

On Fox League, Greg Alexander said: “Frizell’s knocked it on or is that Johnston’s hand underneath? I think it was Frizell knock on.”

“He hasn’t brought the ball under control,” added Andrew Voss, before bunker official Jared Maxwell confirmed it was downward pressure.

Voss was trying to understand the decision and said “you‘d think it would have to be on the ground to force it, you haven’t actually gathered it in with your forearm have you?”

Alexander said he was happy to go with the grounding by the wrist or forearm.

Voss said he’d prefer it would be adjudicated as it was written, that it had to be on the ground to force it with anything other than the hand.

“Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope – he’s bobbled that,” Gould said.

There was a question over whether Johnston held Frizell’s hand back.

After watching it again, he was more certain.

“He knocks it with his wrist and then lands on the ball,” he said. “He’s deadset knocked that on. You can’t regrip it with your wrist.”

The reaction on social media was just as stunned over the call.

They now allow knock ons to be awarded as tries. That will do me. Does the video ref need glasses or is that one to make up for last week’s howler decision against the @NRL_Dragons ??? @SSFCRABBITOHS #NRLDragonsSouths

— Stephen Fenech (@StephenFenech) July 30, 2020
    I’m not saying that was the wrong decision. I still don’t know.
    But reckon that was worth a longer look.

Thought there was separation at least at one point and he certainly didn’t regather. #NRLDragonsSouths

— Scott Bailey (@ScottBaileyAAP) July 30, 2020
    That’ll do me #NRLDragonsSouths

— BUZZ ROTHFIELD (@BuzzRothfield) July 30, 2020
    That ain’t a try #NRLDragonsSouths

— Phil Jamieson (@philjamieson) July 30, 2020
    Controversial take, I'm ok with it. Unlike Dufty non-call last week. #NRLDragonsSouths

— Tim Barrow (@TheBarrow) July 30, 2020
    Luckily for the Rabbitohs it wasn’t a decisive blow with Cody Walker running in another try, before Johnston sealed a hat-trick with a 75m intercept to open a 10 point lead. A penalty goal to Latrell Mitchell sealed the win.

In a brilliant result for Indigenous Round, all 32 points for South Sydney were scored by Indigenous players, split between Johnston, Walker and Mitchell.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/t...a/news-story/396a122f47f220e0bdd0e1717989f7e5

Coffs dragon

Bench
I would not underestimate the role that Ben Hornby played as an assistant coach for the Bunnies last night. He looked mighty happy singing the team song in the sheds last night & punching the air.
I’m sure he gave plenty of inside information on Dragons defensive weaknesses and how Dufty will attack with ball in hand. He certainly would have been instrumental in spilling the beans to Wayne & JD, especially when his past responsibilities where coaching the Dragons edge players.
No surprises that Souths killed us out wide.

getsmarty

Immortal
You are right, he hasn't played in the centre role for a season yet. And as fanboy has pointed out, issues with the inside men have created problems defensively on that side as well - for both him and Aitken. However one try last night, and in previous games (the Joel Thompson try comes to mind immediately) it was just Zac's poor decision making in the line that has lead to tries. He's also made bad defensive decisions during the run of play.

Unlike others, I'm just pointing out deficiencies in his game, just as I and others have pointed out deficiencies in other young players games - Dufty's defence, Aitkens passing, Lawries go forward etc. They all have deficiencies that they need to work on and we have all pointed this out at one point or another. But for some reason, Lomax gets a free ride OR excuses made for him.

As I said, attack wise he's great and he is definitely skillfull. But unlike others, I'm not willing to make outlandish comments at this stage like "he's the best since Gasnier" and "he's the best centre in the game at the moment".

All this crap about age and giving him a break - if he's old enough and good enough to have that sort of praise thrown at him, then he's old enough to accept some criticism in the areas where he needs to improve.

Good Points @True_Believer ....BUT...McGregor played Lomax in 5 different positions last year...that would have ruined most young kids...Lomax has done a lot of good things.

I for one am glad we have signed him long -term. Plenty of other clubs wanted him. guys like Coyne/Fittler/Johns etc have massive raps on him...does that negate his errors..NO..but I would rather see him in the top grade in the same position and with that there is a learning curve.

Have a great day and a wonderful weekend.

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
Dissect the game any way we want to.

Bottom line again, is that we let a large lead slip. Its way too common over the past 2-3 seasons. There is a habit in winning and also in losing.

At 16 zip, we looked very good. But at 16-6 I would guess the vast majority here felt what i did. Groundhog day.

We are just a soft club at the moment. Apart from a handful of decent wins against cellar- dwellers, we can't grind out a win.

Again, 2 points squandered.

thebigredv

First Grade
Dissect the game any way we want to.

Bottom line again, is that we let a large lead slip. Its way too common over the past 2-3 seasons. There is a habit in winning and also in losing.

At 16 zip, we looked very good. But at 16-6 I would guess the vast majority here felt what i did. Groundhog day.

We are just a soft club at the moment. Apart from a handful of decent wins against cellar- dwellers, we can't grind out a win.

Again, 2 points squandered.
Very true. Softest era of our club by a mile right now, just need it to be over.

True_Believer

Juniors
I can see your point....BUT...McGregor played Lomax in 5 different positions last year...that would have ruined most young kids...Lomax has done a lot of good things.

I for one am glad we have signed him long -term. Plenty of other clubs wanted him. guys like coyne/Fittler/Johns etc have massive raps on him...does that negate his errors..NO..but I would rather see him in the top grade in the same position and with that there is a learning curve.

Have a great day and a wonderful weekend.

Again, you are correct. He has played in a few different positions. But Dufty has been in and out of the team and at times not been given a good go, others have been getting 5 minutes off the bench or no game time at all - just as bad for a players confidence. I agree he has probably taken a hit to his confidence, but no more or less than others.

Like you, I am glad we have signed him and kept him. I wouldn't want him playing for any other team. And yeah, I'd rather he stay in the position he is in and improve his game. It will take time and most likely we won't see his true potential until we get a new coach.

I just don't think it helps to be calling him the greatest thing since sliced bread given he's had a couple of good games. I don't have an agenda against him at all, just pointing out that that level of praise is a bit premature. He may get there in the future, but in my opinion it's too early to be making those claims.