What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

King Sonny Bill may return to the NRL... Which club should he join?

Where should Sonny Bill play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Game_Breaker

Coach
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/f81864cfb3c018d767db98de6f2f6d46

Your articles are a week old, but to be honest, none of them work it out how the salaries are actually done.

NRL contracts run from the 1st of November to the 31st of October, so he has exactly 3 months remaining. 3 months being paid at $150k equates to $600k for the year. That puts him around the same level as Latrell, for a 35 year old of his experience that seem about right. Benji Marshall who is around the same age is on about $200k, Cam Smith is probably on more but is considered one of the best players of all time.

My mistake, the valuation should’ve been even higher than that, from your article:

There would be at least half a dozen clubs saying if we are going to pro-rata it to just the final four games, we could have valued him and paid him $200 or $250k for those final four games. There are clubs that have still got that much still left in their cap.

Game_Breaker

Coach
His current contract with easts puts his market value at $150K for 6 games.

Why does the market value set by his most recent contract not count?

do you even know what the term market value means?

What new nonsense have you come up with now?

His current contract for the same sport which is still valid should not be ignored just because it’s inconvenient for you.

It tell us exactly how much he’s valued at in a similar market
DCE, RTS or Tedesco wouldn’t be able to command that money if they tested the market, that tells us something.

Do you even know what you’re arguing for anymore?

You do understand that market value in terms of NRL contracts is not the maximum any given club is willing to pay a player, rather it is an assessment by the NRL of what is the minimum fair value for a player to ensure salary cap rules are not circumvented? There are many factors that go in to this, not least of which is what other players are getting paid.

If we are going to define market value as the maximum that any given club will pay a player then you are essentially forcing the player to go tot he highest bidder which obviously would be a silly idea.

SBW has been valued around the same figure as what Shaun Lane is being paid. Would you be willing to pay SBW more, less or the same as Shaun Lane?

Who said anything about maximum?
Your strawman are getting worse

Danish

Referee
My mistake, the valuation should’ve been even higher than that, from your article:

There would be at least half a dozen clubs saying if we are going to pro-rata it to just the final four games, we could have valued him and paid him $200 or $250k for those final four games. There are clubs that have still got that much still left in their cap.

so you think sonny chose to sign with us because he had no other higher offers?

Danish

Referee
What new nonsense have you come up with now?

His current contract for the same sport which is still valid should not be ignored just because it’s inconvenient for you.

It tell us exactly how much he’s valued at in a similar market
DCE, RTS or Tedesco wouldn’t be able to command that money if they tested the market, that tells us something.

Do you even know what you’re arguing for anymore?

a different comp in a different country without salary cap restrictions is not a similar market

Game_Breaker

Coach
so you think sonny chose to sign with us because he had no other higher offers?

lol
Do roosters fans have strawman tutorial sessions?

Let’s not forget your sidestep of the NRL breaking their own rules and allowing more than one contract.

a different comp in a different country without salary cap restrictions is not a similar market

A different comp for the same sport is a similar market, doesn’t have to be exact

Do roosters fans have strawman tutorial sessions?

Let’s not forget your sidestep of the NRL breaking their own rules and allowing more than one contract.

Do some opposition fans get lobotomies cause of the nonsensical things they sprout? lol :rolleyes:

The Roosters are not breaking the rule at all. In fact the NRL gave a dispensation for it to happen and Peter Vlandys has publicly stated they would do so for any other club looking at doing similar in signing a player from the Wolfpack, as the NZ Warriors are in negotiations with Ricky Leutele and expect to sign him.

Quicksilver

Bench

He has managed to command a salary in that league that dwarfs the top earners in this league. That should put him at the top of the pay scale in this league too.

Otherwise, the top earners in this league would be leaving to command even more than SBW overseas.

Quicksilver

Bench
Do some opposition fans get lobotomies cause of the nonsensical things they sprout? lol :rolleyes:

The Roosters are not breaking the rule at all. In fact the NRL gave a dispensation for it to happen and Peter Vlandys has publicly stated they would do so for any other club looking at doing similar in signing a player from the Wolfpack, as the NZ Warriors are in negotiations with Ricky Leutele and expect to sign him.

dispensation would infer that the rules have in fact been changed to accommodate this.

I think that is the point people are making. We all know PVL is cheering it on.

He has managed to command a salary in that league that dwarfs the top earners in this league. That should put him at the top of the pay scale in this league too.

Otherwise, the top earners in this league would be leaving to command even more than SBW overseas.

That is a dumb argument. None of the top earners in this league are leaving to play overseas are they :rolleyes:

dispensation would infer that the rules have in fact been changed to accommodate this.

I think that is the point people are making. We all know PVL is cheering it on.

By your logic then none of the rule changes, including those effecting game play, should have occurred. The rules surrounding the game must forever be frozen and never changed, let's just ignore the circumstances of what is going on in the world then eh :rolleyes:

Quicksilver

Bench
That is a dumb argument. None of the top earners in this league are leaving to play overseas are they :rolleyes:

Exactly. But if they were offered $5mil instead of $1mil then it’s hard to see them staying.

They weren’t offered $5mil. They were offered less or nothing at all. Instead, Toronto decided to offer the supposedly valueless SBW 5x the going rate of a world class absolute top-tier player.

Quicksilver

Bench
By your logic then none of the rule changes, including those effecting game play, should have occurred. The rules surrounding the game must forever be frozen and never changed, let's just ignore the circumstances of what is going on in the world then eh :rolleyes:

No, that isn’t my logic at all. But there should be a process and a review period with pre-warning so that everyone can adjust and compete on an even footing. I’m not a fan of the Ad hoc in this regard.

Game_Breaker

Coach

Dispensation = exempt from the rules

What were you saying about a lobotomy?

Valheru

Coach
Who said anything about maximum?
Your strawman are getting worse

You are.

You are literally arguing that there are some clubs that would be willing to pay more thus his market value should be more than what the roosters are paying him.

It is pretty clear at this stage that you don't really care what the valuation is as long as it is more than the roosters have in the cap.

Dispensation = exempt from the rules

What were you saying about a lobotomy?

You used the words "side step", and implied it was illegal. Hence next time you decide to correct my literacy and comprehension skills I suggest you have your own in order first.

Oh and what was I saying? I think you are demonstrating it :p

aqua_duck

Coach
I'm not suggesting they get paid a lump payment, but how do they figure out a clubs cap expenditure? They look at that as the yearly amount don't they?

If someone moves clubs and only plays half the year at a new club does the yearly salary that player would of been on get used to see if they can fit in the cap for that year or just half of what that is as he only plays half the games? (That's a genuine question)

For example a player moves clubs mid year on a 800k per year salary, does 800k get tallied into the new clubs cap expenditure or only 400k? If its only 400k then there's a problem with the system because that club is over the cap talent wise
Players are paid periodically and the sum of those periodic payments has to be below the salary cap, hope that helps. For the record Roosters were paying 2 and a half months of Latrell Mitchell's salary from this year's cap......

aqua_duck

Coach
my answer was quite comprehensive.

I explained that I’m not particularly upset with that part of it, but it is a little bit flawed. That was the extent of my original post on the subject.

I have raised this issue in discussions I have had before, but probably not on here because I’m relatively new.

Can you put your toys back in the cot now?
Toys in the cot? You're the one whinging and crying.
As for using the excuse of being new, you've been on here for over 2 years and have never raised an issue with players joining mid season until now. You had ample opportunity for a whinge when Parra signed Waqa Blake last year, when south's signed Jaydn Sua, when dogs signed DWZ but I don't remember you doing so