What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC21 "challenge"

langpark

First Grade
A personal goal of mine is to get to as many matches as possible. Just looking at logistics only for a minute (not cost), here is what I have come up with so far. Wherever a match has fallen on the same day, I have listed the distances between each stadium (and in green, the distance between stadium of the the 1st and 3rd matches of that day).

upload_2020-7-21_21-43-16.png

Here is my conclusion, of the 24 group stage matches, if you want to take no risks and only attend one match on any given matchday, you can 100% safely make it to 14 matches. In addition, you have:

Match 2: Approx. 3hr 15min between full-time siren and kick-off whistle and a distance of 229km to travel. I put this in the high-risk / impossible category.
Match 12: Approx. 3hr 15min buffer from Match 10 and 160km to travel. This one I have in the moderate / high risk category.
Match 20: Approx. 3hr 15min buffer from Match 18 and 115km to travel. Moderate risk.
Match 23: Approx. 3hr 15min buffer from Match 21 and just 14km to travel. This is literally the only one I can confidently put in the SAFE category.

So, in conclusion. You can safely make it to 15/24 group stage matches. But it is humanly possible to make it to 17 (arguably 18).

Personally, my goal will be the 15. Rushing around like a maniac and getting all stressed out is not my idea of fun.

Attachments

• upload_2020-7-21_21-43-5.png
    upload_2020-7-21_21-43-5.png
    148.4 KB · Views: 1

adamkungl

Immortal
Personally, my goal will be the 15. Rushing around like a maniac and getting all stressed out is not my idea of fun.

Ive got 16 on my planned schedule, with the aim of seeing every team at least once:

upload_2020-7-23_14-47-31.png

October 30 will be Leeds to Newcastle and back in a rush (and really, the NZ v Jamaica game isn't exactly a must-watch - but I suspect my missus will want to see NZ as much as possible and we'll base in Leeds anyway) but aside from that no major dramas.

Pommy

Coach
Was starting to plan a trip home for the first game but I’ve just been asked to be best man down in Melbourne around the same time.
Not sure which border will be open first.

adamkungl

Immortal
Not sure which border will be open first.

I think we're all hoping this just goes away by next October...

The Olympics attempt 2 is scheduled for July - would have kicked off today.

Also - I was planning a trip for the full tournament but my brother is getting married on quarter final weekend so I'm just planning the pools now. Should be a great experience anyway and might have some early morning viewing parties for the finals

langpark

First Grade
Ive got 16 on my planned schedule, with the aim of seeing every team at least once:

View attachment 40214

October 30 will be Leeds to Newcastle and back in a rush (and really, the NZ v Jamaica game isn't exactly a must-watch - but I suspect my missus will want to see NZ as much as possible and we'll base in Leeds anyway) but aside from that no major dramas.
Respect. I think that is doable but make sure you have a solid 'getaway plan' in place, so you can be out of the first stadium and on the road as quick as possible.

To be honest, I am more excited about the group stage than the knockout stages. Seeing all these new combinations of teams playing one another, that have never happened before and may not happen again for many years to come, excites me a lot more than another Aus vs NZ clash, for example.

adamkungl

Immortal
Respect. I think that is doable but make sure you have a solid 'getaway plan' in place, so you can be out of the first stadium and on the road as quick as possible.

To be honest, I am more excited about the group stage than the knockout stages. Seeing all these new combinations of teams playing one another, that have never happened before and may not happen again for many years to come, excites me a lot more than another Aus vs NZ clash, for example.

I had a choice to go for just the semis and final, or the group stages.
I think the group stages will be the true World Cup experience I'm looking for. I can watch Australia/Tonga/NZ (likely finals matchups) any year closer to home.

Games i'm looking forward to most

The Group C games - Ireland, Jamaica, Lebanon for the atmosphere, 3 of the most 'colourful' culture fanbases in fairly well matched contests. And NZ v Ireland could be a big contest too.

All the French games.. will they, won't they... France v Samoa should be a cracker, if France show up for their best and find Samoa maybe on an off day.

Tonga v PNG will be the most brutal game of the tournament. Underestimate PNG at their peril.

And of course the opener. We have no idea which Samoa is gonna show up but it will be a strong home crowd with everyone else cheering for an upset.

langpark

First Grade
Yes Tonga vs PNG for me is a must-watch! I think they should have taken that match to the larger Middlesborough stadium rather than Tonga vs Cooks, but either way, will still be great to watch.

And yes, am keen to see Jamaica and am hoping they can put up a decent fight.

My interest in Lebanon and Italy matches is low. They both lost so many of their NRL players since last WC (either through retirement or switching allegiance), I cannot see them being competitive this time around.

deluded pom?

Coach
Really disappointed that they are playing a game on the same day as the opening match. They are forcing people to choose one over the other with the England match winning that battle. Only one match per day on the 25th, 26th, 27th and 29th with nothing on the 28th. The Aus v Fiji match could have been accommodated elsewhere in the schedule IMO.

adamkungl

Immortal
Really disappointed that they are playing a game on the same day as the opening match. They are forcing people to choose one over the other with the England match winning that battle. Only one match per day on the 25th, 26th, 27th and 29th with nothing on the 28th. The Aus v Fiji match could have been accommodated elsewhere in the schedule IMO.

Fair point. And it's really the only AUS game worth a watch in the pool games too.

I expect the pubs near the stadium in Newcastle are gonna be paaacked afterward

langpark

First Grade
I agree with the above and I think in general, looking at the way they've scheduled the event and matches etc. I think they have done it with TV broadcasting as the first thought and no thought was given given to the ambitious fan wanting to take in as many matches as possible.

deluded pom?

Coach
I agree with the above and I think in general, looking at the way they've scheduled the event and matches etc. I think they have done it with TV broadcasting as the first thought and no thought was given given to the ambitious fan wanting to take in as many matches as possible.
It’s not only that. Many people will want to attend the opener especially when it’s a decent match up and a stadium quite a few fans, myself included, haven’t visited yet.

adamkungl

Immortal

It's a lot better than 2017. You can see a game every day, sometimes 2. It would be borderline impossible to come up with a schedule which allowed fans to travel to *every* game and still be fair to the teams involved.
The opening day clash is a bit of a pity though.

Latest posts