What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

callmack1

Staff member
‘Is that an actual report?’ - Russell Crowe stammers over role in Joseph Suaalii coup: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...2/news-story/13a880e939667b25e2d6d3d9736ee25e

Brad Fittler calls for NRL to allow teen phenom Joseph Suaalii to make early first grade debut: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/brad-f...abbitohs/1109c718-c70b-4c64-9032-b9957d586f65

‘Peter’s Laws’ - The 29-point bible that Rugby League’s saviour swears by: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...2/news-story/aaba22e1bb305f5fd16fcf42aa81b0ae

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Rumour that Souths hope to have another signing before the August cut-off date.
I heard it tossed up that it could be Greg Inglis.
Don't know if it was thrown out there in a devil's advocate response to the SBW "signing" and the league willing to bend the rules for the Bondi KFC.

southsport

First Grade
I heard it tossed up that it could be Greg Inglis.
Don't know if it was thrown out there in a devil's advocate response to the SBW "signing" and the league willing to bend the rules for the Bondi KFC.
No not GI, it's supposed to be centre though...........it may not happen but apparently the club is trying to work out a deal.

handyman2190

Bench
No not GI, it's supposed to be centre though...........it may not happen but apparently the club is trying to work out a deal.
One big mistake we made was nathan merrit goeing to cronulla, now here comes another,letting AJ leave so we can afford the fox or this other centre im hearing about, we actually are light on in forwards

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs sign Jed Cartwright for the remainder of Season 2020: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...-cartwright-for-the-remainder-of-season-2020/

Hat-trick hero Alex Johnston’s startling admission over Rabbitohs contract saga: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/7676654d92648f42edbaaa0a49cdf168

Hat-trick hero Alex Johnston's telling interview amid South Sydney contract breakdown: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/alex-j...reakdown/659293f3-fa62-4717-9c5b-4cb6fb29c376

From Sporting News,

Cody Walker leads desperate plea for Rabbitohs to hang onto hat-trick star Alex Johnston

Cody Walker has pleaded with the Rabbitohs to do whatever it takes to retain Alex Johnston after the star winger's dazzling performance in the win over the Dragons.

Walker and Johnston ignited a stirring South Sydney comeback, the duo scoring five tries between them to help overcome an early 16-0 deficit and claim an inspiring 32-24 victory to fittingly open the NRL's Indigenous Round.

Walker was instrumental for Wayne Bennett's side after they lost halfback and captain Adam Reynolds in the seventh minute, but the hat-trick performance of Johnston stole the headlines, with the Rabbitohs flyer still unsigned for next season.

A fullback at heart, Johnston was given the opportunity to look elsewhere at the start of the year upon Latrell Mitchell's arrival at Redfern, and while he eventually ended up staying , conceded after the win over St. George Illawarra he was still on the lookout for a club for 2021.

Praising his commitment, Walker said after Thursday night's victory it would be devastating to see Johnston, a Souths junior and local product, wearing another team's colours beyond this year.

"I'm not sure what's going to happen, it's out of my control," Walker said of the contract stalemate surrounding Johnston.

"I'd be sad to see him play for another club, he's a Souths junior he's come all through the ranks, he grew up in the South Sydney region. I'm not quite sure what's going to happen.

"He's a very experienced player, he can play wing, he can play fullback. You see with the defensive reads tonight, it's just crazy that he makes those decisions and he's just a smart character."

Should South Sydney let Johnston go, they'll be losing a man who has notched an impressive 93 tries in 134 NRL appearances since his 2014 debut.

While his three crosses of the stripe on Thursday, two of which came from long-range intercepts, took Johnston's 2020 tally out to 10 in 12 games.

The Rabbitohs acquisition of Mitchell, on top of the signing of Queensland forward Jai Arrow from the Titans for the next four years, was always going to put a strain on the club's salary cap, leaving them at a stretch to hang on to Johnston.

That and the 25-year-old's desire to play fullback and be paid as such have seen discussions between he and the club reportedly break down.

In a poignant interview with Channel Nine post-game, the incisive winger conceded his future at Redfern appeared unlikely.

“I’m a local junior and I’ve always maintained that I always wanted to stay at Souths but at the moment it’s not looking likely,” Johnston said after helping the Rabbitohs to victory.

“I think there's a lot of salary cap issues there.

"Hopefully tonight I put my best foot forward and some clubs get some offers through."

While asked about Johnston's future at South Sydney after the game Wayne Bennett said it was a work in progress.

“I don’t think any of us want him to leave the club but like everybody in the game we’ve got a salary cap and we’re trying to fit everybody in,” the Rabbitohs coach said.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Rabbitohs sign Jed Cartwright for the remainder of Season 2020: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...-cartwright-for-the-remainder-of-season-2020/

Hat-trick hero Alex Johnston’s startling admission over Rabbitohs contract saga: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/7676654d92648f42edbaaa0a49cdf168

Hat-trick hero Alex Johnston's telling interview amid South Sydney contract breakdown: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/alex-j...reakdown/659293f3-fa62-4717-9c5b-4cb6fb29c376

From Sporting News,

Cody Walker leads desperate plea for Rabbitohs to hang onto hat-trick star Alex Johnston

Cody Walker has pleaded with the Rabbitohs to do whatever it takes to retain Alex Johnston after the star winger's dazzling performance in the win over the Dragons.

Walker and Johnston ignited a stirring South Sydney comeback, the duo scoring five tries between them to help overcome an early 16-0 deficit and claim an inspiring 32-24 victory to fittingly open the NRL's Indigenous Round.

Walker was instrumental for Wayne Bennett's side after they lost halfback and captain Adam Reynolds in the seventh minute, but the hat-trick performance of Johnston stole the headlines, with the Rabbitohs flyer still unsigned for next season.

A fullback at heart, Johnston was given the opportunity to look elsewhere at the start of the year upon Latrell Mitchell's arrival at Redfern, and while he eventually ended up staying , conceded after the win over St. George Illawarra he was still on the lookout for a club for 2021.

Praising his commitment, Walker said after Thursday night's victory it would be devastating to see Johnston, a Souths junior and local product, wearing another team's colours beyond this year.

"I'm not sure what's going to happen, it's out of my control," Walker said of the contract stalemate surrounding Johnston.

"I'd be sad to see him play for another club, he's a Souths junior he's come all through the ranks, he grew up in the South Sydney region. I'm not quite sure what's going to happen.

"He's a very experienced player, he can play wing, he can play fullback. You see with the defensive reads tonight, it's just crazy that he makes those decisions and he's just a smart character."

Should South Sydney let Johnston go, they'll be losing a man who has notched an impressive 93 tries in 134 NRL appearances since his 2014 debut.

While his three crosses of the stripe on Thursday, two of which came from long-range intercepts, took Johnston's 2020 tally out to 10 in 12 games.

The Rabbitohs acquisition of Mitchell, on top of the signing of Queensland forward Jai Arrow from the Titans for the next four years, was always going to put a strain on the club's salary cap, leaving them at a stretch to hang on to Johnston.

That and the 25-year-old's desire to play fullback and be paid as such have seen discussions between he and the club reportedly break down.

In a poignant interview with Channel Nine post-game, the incisive winger conceded his future at Redfern appeared unlikely.

“I’m a local junior and I’ve always maintained that I always wanted to stay at Souths but at the moment it’s not looking likely,” Johnston said after helping the Rabbitohs to victory.

“I think there's a lot of salary cap issues there.

"Hopefully tonight I put my best foot forward and some clubs get some offers through."

While asked about Johnston's future at South Sydney after the game Wayne Bennett said it was a work in progress.

“I don’t think any of us want him to leave the club but like everybody in the game we’ve got a salary cap and we’re trying to fit everybody in,” the Rabbitohs coach said.
See the key line is "....25-year-old's desire to play fullback and be paid as such....."
You can't fault Alex for his desire to play fullback, that's what he's always wanted, and therefore be paid in fullback pay scale.
I wish him best of luck if that's what he wants, but Alex, please don't leave to end up on the wing at the Roosters!

handyman2190

Bench
See the key line is "....25-year-old's desire to play fullback and be paid as such....."
You can't fault Alex for his desire to play fullback, that's what he's always wanted, and therefore be paid in fullback pay scale.
I wish him best of luck if that's what he wants, but Alex, please don't leave to end up on the wing at the Roosters!
The only place that needs a FB is canterbury,its no use leaving to play wing

Travitoh

First Grade
He did nothing at the titans no thanks

He started this season well before returning to the UK during the pandemic pause.

If Roberts and Burns were available then he'd be a waste of time but he's better than Jaxson Paulo currently is. If Souths believe they can play finals this season, he's a signing that will strengthen their chances for success in 2020. I saw a lot of him when i was in Leeds and the guy can play. Then in 2021 he returns to Toronto like SBW and any other WolfPack players that sign in the NRL short term for 2020.
There's very little to lose.

Latest posts