What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best and worst biffers

Mr Spock!

Referee
Saw that one with Leabeater, Leabeater hit him with a few before Davo could stand up. Once he got to his feet they were into it, Leabeater must have been able to handle himself alright to even attempt to mix it with Davo.
It was a wedgie that made Davo belt Stevens surprise, surprise! Remember seeing footage of it 5 or so years back on some show.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Monty Betham could obviously fight but was overly keen to show it on the field and so rarely tended to have fair fights. It was more like he would just lash out relatively unprovoked and launch a 10-punch combo on some unsuspecting sucker.

That's basically what happened with Reardon. In that famous 2003 brawl with the Broncos, Betham starts it by clipping Carl Webb (basically having a sook because he got tackled hard), then he randomly turns to Casey McGuire and starts laying into him. As was mentioned, McGuire held his own pretty well, and then he lands an absolute beauty of a cheap shot when it breaks up.

DeeJ

Bench
Campion dropped Webcke but Casey McGuire went toe to toe with Betham and handled himself alright.

McGuire must have some sneaky skills. We all know he dropped Hodges with a good one - though I'm not sure if that is much of a barometer.

oinkoink

Juniors
Number one les davidson.
Still remember him dropping brad Mackay and Jason Stevens with consecutive punches.
Correct me if I’m wrong but pretty sure those were the 2.

Les was trying to play the ball and Brad Mackay was giving him a push and shove. Davo had the ball in his right hand and hit him with a short left jab and knocked him out cold.

Snoopy Collins was second marker and protested and took a half-step forward and Davo, still holding the ball, hit him with a short left jab that wobbled his legs and had him in Disneyland.

They weren't haymakers - just two little jabs!

I believe he knocked Stevens out later in the match after running through as a decoy

Last edited:

Jim Rockford

Bench
Back in 2014 I got to go into the Souths dressing room after a game (with George Piggins no less). It had been a tough game and the players were drained so I didn't want to bother any of them while they recovered. Then I spotted Bundy off to the side so I headed straight over to shake his hand and tell him he was my favourite player ever. I then asked if I could get a photo with him and called my Dad over to take it. There were a couple of young kids standing nearby and they had looks on their faces like "why does this guy want a photo with one of the training staff?" They must have asked their Dad because suddenly the looks on their faces changed and now they were looking at Davo in awe.I only got to spend a couple of minutes with him but he is a truly champion bloke.

The_Frog

First Grade
Best: Gordon Tallis on Ben Ross. The Bull rarely missed and he certainly didn't here:
Ross had given him a facial, hence they were both binned, which is fair enough. However I can never understand why Tallis didn't get 8 weeks. This was Neville Hornery level stuff. Anyway we eliminated the Broncos on the same ground later in the season, setting their club record for most consecutive defeats (which was only broken in 2020) and then went on with it. Karma at work I'd suggest.

The_Frog

First Grade
The Tigers bloke who decked John Cartwright at Leichhardt in '88 (Bruce McGuire?) had a mad straight right. Carty was out cold as a spud long before he hit the ground. Went looking for a square up after they woke him up and got sent off. Not his day. Carty was a tremendous ball playing back rower but not a fighter. Should have left the biff to MG, who was much more adept.

mozza91

Coach
Ross had given him a facial, hence they were both binned, which is fair enough. However I can never understand why Tallis didn't get 8 weeks. This was Neville Hornery level stuff. Anyway we eliminated the Broncos on the same ground later in the season, setting their club record for most consecutive defeats (which was only broken in 2020) and then went on with it. Karma at work I'd suggest.
Yeah you don’t sound bitter about it at all.

macnaz

Staff member
Vividly remember Sirro putting the cleaners through Fullerton-Smith haha.
Geoff Gerard was stupid enough to test Sirro out after that, in the last game of the year in '89: Panthers vs Tigers. Sirro ran through as a decoy and Gerard hit him on the chin with a blatant elbow, Sirro turned on his heel and hit him with a big right that knocked the piss out of him, pretty sure he was assisted from the field! Great days! Bruce Maguire floored John Cartwright with a peach of a hook in the same game.
Yeah you are right about Gerrard and Sirro , from memory i thought Sirro had just played the ball and they shaped up.. one hit and Gerard went and down and taken from the field. Sirro wasnt the instigator but was sinned binned.

The_Frog

First Grade
Bruce Maguire floored John Cartwright with a peach of a hook in the same game.
I'd thought that was '88 but you are right. Cartwright got suspended following this game for trying to square up, which was a bit silly. He was probably still concussed. Didn't play again that year.