What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2020 Jerseys/Logos/Sponsorships

Nqcowboy

Juniors
I think we will see only the home teams in the indigenous for the bad clashes, which is unfortunate and defeats the purpose of the round, the teams should of looked at the fixture and designed around that. If theres a clash, and you are the away team, then base your indigenous off your away strip
Exactly the knights could have gone with a white based jersey with red and blue indigenous motifs

‘Filthy’ Raiders star Jack Wighton blasts own club over ‘lazy’ Indigenous jersey design
feb7c3a46d2bd3d45c1c9fa349c0eb9a

Jack Wighton takes aim at his own club.
Raiders star and proud Indigenous man Jack Wighton has blasted his club for a lack of effort in designing their jersey for Indigenous Round.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported the Raiders are the only club not to have an Indigenous symbol on the front of their jersey as they chose represent the fact the ACT is the only jurisdiction in Australia to have a Reconciliation Day public holiday on their sleeves.

Incumbent Blues and Kangaroos centre Wighton is the only Indigenous Australian in the Raiders’ first-grade squad and believes the club should have done much more.

“I’m very, very proud but I’m a little bit disappointed how the club went about the jersey and that. I feel like we just ticked a box, no one got any input,” Wighton told The Sydney Morning Herald.

“We’ve got a lot of First Nations people of all different types – Samoans and Maoris and that, you know – and no one really had any say about the jersey.

“I think you can tell. We had a whole canvas and they just put a little design on the sleeve. We didn’t hear nothing about it until this week. No one came to us for any ideas.

“In previous years we’ve had a lot to do with it and the club has run things past us but I felt like they got lazy this year.”

The Indigenous design is the artwork of Lynnice Church, an Aboriginal woman from the Ngunnawal, Wiradjuri and Kamilaroi tribes.

While not being critical of the artist, Wighton believes the club could have gone to more effort in such a special round for his people.

For instance South Sydney’s jersey includes a handprint of the club’s eight Indigenous players and a totem for their tribe.

The South Sydney jersey was designed by Cody Walker’s uncle Joe and has a black rabbit at its centre.

“They’ve got the best stories and put a bit of effort in. I just feel like we ticked a box this year,” Wighton said.

Raiders Indigenous Jersey. Source: Canberra Raiders
“It’s terrible. I’m filthy. It’s the one round to share culture, you know what I mean, to get our artwork and stories out there, and I feel like we’ve put a pretty poor effort in, if I’m to be honest.”

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...c3ce6a22e336bf17c53?__twitter_impression=true

Headline "Blasts"... Wighton quote "Little-bit disappointed"...

Ha.

Saint Doc

Coach
I think we will see only the home teams in the indigenous for the bad clashes, which is unfortunate and defeats the purpose of the round, the teams should of looked at the fixture and designed around that. If theres a clash, and you are the away team, then base your indigenous off your away strip

Jersey designs would have been submitted close to a year ago.

The draw was completely reworked post COVID.

greenBV4

Bench
Jersey designs would have been submitted close to a year ago.

The draw was completely reworked post COVID.
Home and away yes, but would one-off jersey's like indegenous be done that much in advance?
And yeah this year is unique, but clashes like this have been happening for years

unforgiven

Bench
Issue this year may be that we had a new draw come out 2 months ago, most designs would have been signed off before this.

greenBV4

Bench
Issue this year may be that we had a new draw come out 2 months ago, most designs would have been signed off before this.
Yeah that would be OK if it were done other years, but unless I'm forgetting there's always been some pretty bad clashes with indigenous jerseys

Its something that shouldnt be to hard to implement in future years, but the NRL doesn't seemed to really care to much about clashes anyway (hence the bunnies poor excuse of a clash jersey year after year)

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
So why didn't Jack put his hand up and take the lead on this, especially as he's currently the only indigenous player at the club?

wazdog

Juniors
This is/was great. The wider hoop is closer to the original 08 jersey, yeh?

Nah we had 14 equal hoops in 1908. The wider hoops were the first I've seen on our colours.

2020 has been an interesting year for us. Safe 2 Pay (probably due to COVID) being swapped out with Wotif (picked up due to no NSW Cup being played), Crown and Menulog (who have had a rebrand and colour change) since coming on.

The Rabbits have done a throwback tonight and reintroduced stripes on their shorts to match the piping on their sleeves.

Storm indigenous jersey arrived today, looks great. I would not be unhappy if this was our regular strip.

Its a great kit. I really liked the Dragons jersey from last night too. Love to see them play in it more - granted not every round is indigenous round. But I’d love to have that as our away strip..

There’s some awesome indigenous jerseys out there.

It's Been Done

Juniors
And another side this week is having a rare appearance in white shorts, this time Cronulla. Good to see as it makes them stand out against the Broncos a bit more