What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Case for Adelaide.....

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Great thread OP but the sad thing is that it shouldn't even need to be made. The NRL need a vision and plan to become the number 1 game throughout Australia and Oceania yet we are behind AFL in Australia and Union in the rest of Oceania. All the ingredients are there for us to take it, the two states that are RL strongholds in Australia represent 50% of the population, even a small slice of the rest of the major cities puts us in a very strong place... then there's the pacific, the atmosphere is ripe for a takeover but are we going to actually do something? It's a shame that it's actually a question.

Great thread OP but the sad thing is that it shouldn't even need to be made. The NRL need a vision and plan to become the number 1 game throughout Australia and Oceania yet we are behind AFL in Australia and Union in the rest of Oceania. All the ingredients are there for us to take it, the two states that are RL strongholds in Australia represent 50% of the population, even a small slice of the rest of the major cities puts us in a very strong place... then there's the pacific, the atmosphere is ripe for a takeover but are we going to actually do something? It's a shame that it's actually a question.
It would be nice if the ARLC had a plan to develop the game at the grass roots level across Australia, NZ, PNG, Fiji, Samoa and Tonga.

It will be so much easier to establish a team in Adelaide and Perth when there are three or four local born and bred juniors in the squad. Fluff pieces can be written about the players, asking them to explain why they chose RL over fumbleball and what it can offer that AwFuL cannot. When local kids see people like them were able to make it they will have hope that AwFuL isn't the only pathway for them.

It will cost money, but it is a necessity. They could start by having a Magic Round in Adelaide and Perth each year, in exchange for the SA/WA governments agreeing to introduce RL into the curriculum of all public schools. Run more school clinics across both cities so kids know about the game and realise they can play it. Field teams in the Queensland Cup. If they need financial assistance to run teams at this level then provide it. Do that for 10-20 years and there might be a decent base to build an NRL team around.

It would be nice if the ARLC had a plan to develop the game at the grass roots level across Australia, NZ, PNG, Fiji, Samoa and Tonga.

It will be so much easier to establish a team in Adelaide and Perth when there are three or four local born and bred juniors in the squad. Fluff pieces can be written about the players, asking them to explain why they chose RL over fumbleball and what it can offer that AwFuL cannot. When local kids see people like them were able to make it they will have hope that AwFuL isn't the only pathway for them.

It will cost money, but it is a necessity. They could start by having a Magic Round in Adelaide and Perth each year, in exchange for the SA/WA governments agreeing to introduce RL into the curriculum of all public schools. Run more school clinics across both cities so kids know about the game and realise they can play it. Field teams in the Queensland Cup. If they need financial assistance to run teams at this level then provide it. Do that for 10-20 years and there might be a decent base to build an NRL team around.

Yep.

It’s what AFL are doing in NSW n QLD.. I heard Johnathan Brown (ex Brisbane Lions) saying the other day on the Gold Coast that there’s now over 100 AFL players currently at....

Palm Beach Currumbin High School. Over 100... All emanating out of the AFL drive, into a Rugby League stronghold of a high school.

Now someone here may be able to fact check that, but that’s what’s necessary here in SA and WA... Gus Gould is now in charge of pathways.. this should be on his list..

There’s next to nothing here. NRL SA (yes, there is such a thing) is pretty much nothing. Researching it, it’s headed up by ex player Stuart “Bugseyes” Davis. But that’s all I’ve seen.. The local comp top level comp is down from 8 or so teams down to 3 or 4 last year...

It’s a travesty... for a supposed national sport not to have a strong presence, or even a strategy, to put a flag in a capital city (the 5th largest) of Australia.

Yep.

It’s what AFL are doing in NSW n QLD.. I heard Johnathan Brown (ex Brisbane Lions) saying the other day on the Gold Coast that there’s now over 100 AFL players currently at....

Palm Beach Currumbin High School. Over 100... All emanating out of the AFL drive, into a Rugby League stronghold of a high school.

Now someone here may be able to fact check that, but that’s what’s necessary here in SA and WA... Gus Gould is now in charge of pathways.. this should be on his list..

There’s next to nothing here. NRL SA (yes, there is such a thing) is pretty much nothing. Researching it, it’s headed up by ex player Stuart “Bugseyes” Davis. But that’s all I’ve seen.. The local comp top level comp is down from 8 or so teams down to 3 or 4 last year...

It’s a travesty... for a supposed national sport not to have a strong presence, or even a strategy, to put a flag in a capital city (the 5th largest) of Australia.
Kids who play the game are more likely to invest in it as fans when they grow up. Just getting kids in Adelaide and Perth to run with an RL ball in a school clinic and learn the rules will lead to an increase in people watching the game on TV.

Touch RL footy could be a real game changer in primary schools, especially in the AwFuL states. Get kids playing that as a 'safe sport' and eventually they will find their way to RL.

Kids who play the game are more likely to invest in it as fans when they grow up. Just getting kids in Adelaide and Perth to run with an RL ball in a school clinic and learn the rules will lead to an increase in people watching the game on TV.

Touch RL footy could be a real game changer in primary schools, especially in the AwFuL states. Get kids playing that as a 'safe sport' and eventually they will find their way to RL.

They do have touch football in some school here, but it’s an ad hoc thing they do a few times a year. The kids I know like it but don’t really know the strategy.. and the carnivals are over pretty quickly, in a day etc.

reanimate

Bench
Exactly. There's no other explanation for such an irrational fear, right?
There really isn't. If it's feasible for Super Netball, it's feasible for the NRL.
The AFL would sacrifice their first born sons to be even mildly popular in a country other than Australia, yet a second NZ team isn't even being discussed by the NRL at the moment. We basically take our support there for granted and don't do much to grow it, that's despite a huge percentage of our player base coming from NZ. If the situation was reversed, the AFL would have a minimum of 2 teams in NZ and would probably be looking to bring in a 3rd.
I heard Johnathan Brown (ex Brisbane Lions) saying the other day on the Gold Coast that there’s now over 100 AFL players currently at.... Palm Beach Currumbin High School. Over 100... All emanating out of the AFL drive, into a Rugby League stronghold of a high school.

That is very concerning... I've seen them at work firsthand here in Sydney, they are absolutely relentless and money is no issue to them. They hand out free stuff hand over fist and spend so much time buttering up teachers, principals and mothers (there's a lesson to be learnt there). They target both areas where we're weak (the North Shore is a good example, RL is a total mess there) and also are happy to relentlessly chip away in areas where we're strong, even if they don't see any results. They know there will be some down the track, as evidenced with Palm Beach High.

Around a decade ago I read in the paper that AFL Queensland gave free footy boots and waived membership fees to any kid who signed up to play the game. It had a quote from a bloke who worked for one of the junior clubs confirming they did this.

I think Brisbane 2 and Brisbane 3 are needed to fend off the threat posed by AwFuL at the junior level. If we want pro RL players running clinics at schools across Brisbane to counter AwFuL then 3 clubs in total would help cover the area. NZ 2 and NZ 3 should also be brought in. That brings the total of teams in the NRL to 20. The other option would be to have Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs become the Christchurch-Canterbury Bulldogs, 6 games in Sydney and another 6 in Christchurch, colours red, black, blue and white. Manly could become the Northern Sea Eagles and represent Gosford and North Island of NZ, playing 6 games in Gosford and the other six in Wellington. That is a total of 18 teams and room for teams in Adelaide and Perth, if that's the direction the ARLC wishes to go down. I reckon the Tigers could do something similar, become the Western Tigers, 6 games at Western Sydney Stadium and 6 games at Perth Oval. Maybe the Sharks could do something similar with Adelaide. Southern Sharks, or South Coast Sharks?

Travitoh

First Grade
Haha. I’m just a simple man flying the flag for truth, justice, and the South Australian way..

Now off to foodland to buy some fritz, farmers union, and fill up the old girl at Mogas..

Just don't text and drive or you might hit a stobie pole!

Unfortunately, i don't see Adelaide getting a team anytime soon. Easts v Melbourne only happens because the SA Government want to host SOO at Adelaide Oval. The NRL doesn't care about anywhere that isn't on the east coast unfortunately.

Just don't text and drive or you might hit a stobie pole!

Unfortunately, i don't see Adelaide getting a team anytime soon. Easts v Melbourne only happens because the SA Government want to host SOO at Adelaide Oval. The NRL doesn't care about anywhere that isn't on the east coast unfortunately.

I agree but there are people who let things happen, and there are those that make things happen.

I was truly hoping that with SOO in Adelaide, we’d be more in the discussion about a possible rebirth of the Rams etc. The Wuhan flu ruined all that of course..

But..

I really believe that the 2nd Brisbane team will be an advantage for either Adelaide or Perth to re-enter the comp one day..

A 17th team will give players a bye each round. And 18th side (granted we need player development to NRL-quality-levels) gives an extra 26 games a year. Bigger revenues from advertising, NRL rights etc..

And so where does that team come from?

Well it makes absolute sense to me it needs to me in a new market area bringing new eyeballs to the sport and on screens. So that narrows it down to 3 prospects..

Adelaide, Perth. And New Zealand Mk2.

With these, NZ will absolutely depend on whether the Warriors can get their shit in a sock and (finally) prove to be a sustainable success on n off the field.

I think it comes down to Perth and Adelaide.

Perth very much has the jump-start in terms of juniors, and advocates of the sport pushing their cause in the public arena. But they would need to overcome the expense of travel issue. And being on a 2-hour Timezone difference, there are only certain slots each round they could play in at home. Thursday night, Friday 6pm would be out. And vice versa, you’d want Perth eyeballs on the away games at a reasonable hour. This also impacts the slots for these games, forget Thursday, Friday 6pm, Saturday 2pm...

May seem minor but that can be very problematic in getting a draw together. Especially when the Warriors have many of the same needs... 2 hours ahead of the east coast. And a 4 hour difference between NZ and Perth..

Adelaide don’t have those same concerns. Closer to the east coast and a 30 min time difference, it’s better on travel and match time slots. But we’ve got sweet FA grassroots development.

Both have great rectangular stadiums, which will only improve given the 2023 World Cup..

So...

It may not be as unlikely as it seems. It’s just a matter of where and when.. and I think it’s a race in 2.. Many are pushing the Perth Barrow. No-one is pushing Adelaide. I’m only a bloke on a forum but getting this more and more out there... hopefully it’s gets talked up more in the media and people with some clout can run with it.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I agree but there are people who let things happen, and there are those that make things happen.

I was truly hoping that with SOO in Adelaide, we’d be more in the discussion about a possible rebirth of the Rams etc. The Wuhan flu ruined all that of course..

But..

I really believe that the 2nd Brisbane team will be an advantage for either Adelaide or Perth to re-enter the comp one day..

A 17th team will give players a bye each round. And 18th side (granted we need player development to NRL-quality-levels) gives an extra 26 games a year. Bigger revenues from advertising, NRL rights etc..

And so where does that team come from?

Well it makes absolute sense to me it needs to me in a new market area bringing new eyeballs to the sport and on screens. So that narrows it down to 3 prospects..

Adelaide, Perth. And New Zealand Mk2.

With these, NZ will absolutely depend on whether the Warriors can get their shit in a sock and (finally) prove to be a sustainable success on n off the field.

I think it comes down to Perth and Adelaide.

Perth very much has the jump-start in terms of juniors, and advocates of the sport pushing their cause in the public arena. But they would need to overcome the expense of travel issue. And being on a 2-hour Timezone difference, there are only certain slots each round they could play in at home. Thursday night, Friday 6pm would be out. And vice versa, you’d want Perth eyeballs on the away games at a reasonable hour. This also impacts the slots for these games, forget Thursday, Friday 6pm, Saturday 2pm...

May seem minor but that can be very problematic in getting a draw together. Especially when the Warriors have many of the same needs... 2 hours ahead of the east coast. And a 4 hour difference between NZ and Perth..

Adelaide don’t have those same concerns. Closer to the east coast and a 30 min time difference, it’s better on travel and match time slots. But we’ve got sweet FA grassroots development.

Both have great rectangular stadiums, which will only improve given the 2023 World Cup..

So...

It may not be as unlikely as it seems. It’s just a matter of where and when.. and I think it’s a race in 2.. Many are pushing the Perth Barrow. No-one is pushing Adelaide. I’m only a bloke on a forum but getting this more and more out there... hopefully it’s gets talked up more in the media and people with some clout can run with it.

PERTH has numerous advantages over Adelaide Tbf

better stadium
Massively Stronger grassroots
millionaires willing to back the club
A supportive State govt
TV Time slot Advantage for 6pm Sunday or if you wanted a late game Friday or Saturday
Bigger population and corporate opportunities

the travel cost thing is a furphy, every prof league in Australia affords it, most on a much smaller revenue base than the nrl.

Adelaide needs a strong long term development And investment plan so it’s ready for the 20 Team expansion in years to come.

Travitoh

First Grade
IMO Adelaide is third in line behind Bris2 and Perth. Unfortunately Adelaide's best chance of admission will either be through a Sydney club relocating or merging with another.

It's crazy to me that there is a NZ team in the same Australian competition that doesn't have any representation west of Melbourne.

better stadium
A supportive State govt
TV Time slot Advantage for 6pm Sunday or if you wanted a late game Friday or Saturday

the travel cost thing is a furphy, every prof league in Australia affords it, most on a much smaller revenue base than the nrl.

Adelaide needs a strong long term development And investment plan so it’s ready for the 20 Team expansion in years to come.

I agree with you on those apart from the Travel and Stadium. Not been to HBF but the Hindmarsh upgrades for the World Cup are significant - so not saying either is better, just that both will be great.

Travel costs indeed will be a huge factor. And Perth doesn’t have direct flights to all locations of NRL clubs.

Timezones are very complex but indeed can be worked around.

But Perth has plenty of other things going for it like you suggest that warrants and justifies re-entry.

The Great Dane

First Grade

better stadium
A supportive State govt

Why are we making it a competition.

It shouldn't be an either or it should be both.

The Great Dane

First Grade

In basically every western country soccer has the highest participation numbers of any team sport, yet despite that fact in a lot of countries such as Australia, the USA, NZ, Canada, etc, it's struggled as a commercial product and has required billions in investment just to keep in view of the more popular sports in each country.

So taking that into account it seems unlikely to me that participation actually has a large effect on people becoming or staying fans, which makes sense once you think about it more deeply, I mean aside from a captive audience I defy you to get somebody to actively participate in something that they have no interest in.

In other words that means that generally people become fans to some degree before they decide to try their hand at actually playing the sport.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I agree with you on those apart from the Travel and Stadium. Not been to HBF but the Hindmarsh upgrades for the World Cup are significant - so not saying either is better, just that both will be great.

Travel costs indeed will be a huge factor. And Perth doesn’t have direct flights to all locations of NRL clubs.

Timezones are very complex but indeed can be worked around.

But Perth has plenty of other things going for it like you suggest that warrants and justifies re-entry.

travel cost wont in reality your talking around $400k, which for a code with over $500million revenue is chump change.
Hindmarsh looks from the pics like hbf park before it had $120mill spent upgrading it.
Unless Adelaide gets a Very rich backer behind a bid it is highly unlikely. Nrl are an incredibly risk averse organisation.

reanimate

Bench
So taking that into account it seems unlikely to me that participation actually has a large effect on people becoming or staying fans, which makes sense once you think about it more deeply, I mean aside from a captive audience I defy you to get somebody to actively participate in something that they have no interest in.

In other words that means that generally people become fans to some degree before they decide to try their hand at actually playing the sport.
That describes a lot of kids in their first few years of sport. A lot don't really want to play, their parents or school make them as a form of exercise and developing social skills.

Latest posts