What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

King Sonny Bill may return to the NRL... Which club should he join?

Where should Sonny Bill play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

unforgiven

Bench
Yep, and all that added value to the club’s marketability is usually not discounted from the amount counted in the cap.

But for Sonny we are discounting that value. He’s the only one in the comp assessed on strict playing value, apparently.
Because as I've stated, the Wolfpack are in a unique situation.

Game_Breaker

Coach
It is a lower level comp and his salary in the Super League is a unique situation due to the team he joined and the exposure he could bring them. He is not being paid $5m by the Wolfpack for his playing ability, that is the key point here. His value off the field isn't as big for any NRL team as it is for the Wolfpack. You know that, everyone knows that and you guys are only arguing this as it is the Roosters.

His off-field value is based off his on-field ability, it’s definitely not based on his beard growing ability

If Wolfpack threw the cash at any NRL high earner, they wouldn’t cough up $5M a year
That puts him in the top tier of players, not the mid range they conveniently valued him at

unforgiven

Bench
His off-field value is based off his on-field ability, it’s definitely not based on his beard growing ability

If Wolfpack threw the cash at any NRL high earner, they wouldn’t cough up $5M a year
That puts him in the top tier of players, not the mid range they conveniently valued him at
Based on his past onfield ability, not current.

unforgiven

Bench
I guess Andrew Johns still has a chance at a contract then
You get it then, seriously that was the type of signing it was. Same as when the A League started up out here and they brought out some overseas superstars well past their prime so people would come to see them play despite them being well past their best.

Xcalibre

Juniors
Well he's not actually the CEO.....
Has he actually made a decision regarding Suualii?
I personally don't think they should give Suualii an exemption as it's not just about semantics but player welfare, the SBW exemption is a technicality that you can cite the unprecdented current situation as a reason why an exemption was given but the Suualii situation has nothing to do with the current circumstances

I haven’t been across this issue but didn’t Bennett say they want him available because they have a lot of injuries? Because of the current circumstances, there’s no reserve grade, hence lack of replacements, was perhaps their reasoning. But unless Suaali has been playing with some team, any of their reserve graders would be just as much non match fit. Maybe they have no players in his position? Probably just trying to get a young gun in their team before he’s eligible.

Xcalibre

Juniors
But we are still simultaneously being sold the line (by PVL nonetheless) that we need a player of his caliber in the game.

Wish you people would make up your mind

Is he shit or not?

Why are we changing the rules so some hack can get a game? Why is it important?

Because he still has the AURA man. The voice overs are already being produced.

aqua_duck

Coach
I haven’t been across this issue but didn’t Bennett say they want him available because they have a lot of injuries? Because of the current circumstances, there’s no reserve grade, hence lack of replacements, was perhaps their reasoning. But unless Suaali has been playing with some team, any of their reserve graders would be just as much non match fit. Maybe they have no players in his position? Probably just trying to get a young gun in their team before he’s eligible.
That argument makes no sense, to throw a 16 year old in who isn't match fit is surely a duty of care issue. I guarantee they wouldn't be trying to pull this if it weren't for the tug of war with the ARU

Game_Breaker

Coach
You get it then, seriously that was the type of signing it was. Same as when the A League started up out here and they brought out some overseas superstars well past their prime so people would come to see them play despite them being well past their best.

You mean Del Piero?
Where he broke Sydney FCs goal scoring record in his first season here at 38 years of age?
Yeah great example

Quicksilver

Bench

I don’t remember the A League picking out over the hill players and paying them 5 times the salary of the world’s best players at the time.

Apey

Staff member
Ralph: Roosters
Bart: every other team

063.jpg

Aragorn

First Grade
He will struggle with how quick the game has evolved and how much older he now is.

Given he’s decided to go back to the Chooks, I look forward to see him embarrassed

taste2taste

Juniors
I don't have a problem with SBW signing with the roosters.

The NRL has put a 900k value on him ( aka 150k for 4 games ) which for a 34yr old is a little high IMO.

As others have said, Rapana and T'eo ( who was coming fresh from playing international RU for England) have signed for clubs and didn't attract any headlines because they don't have the pulling power of SBW. All Wolfpack players are available to NRL club's if they want them.

Good luck to the Roosters and SBW, don't think an over the hill player will have a huge advantage for them, but the viewers he'll bring to the game is a good thing for the NRL.