What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uncle Nick Politis

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perhaps the concept of juniors is archaic and is not relevant int he modern era?

nail, hit , head
Taking a kid from U18 through to first grade is all that matters.
Most NRL clubs are a blight on jnr's anyway as they are taking $millions out of LC profit that could be funding grass roots.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Perhaps the concept of juniors is archaic and is not relevant int he modern era?

Beat me to it. Does it really matter how many local juniors an NRL team has playing for it? Junior development should be an NRL issue and the clubs sign and / or draft the players into their professional system.

Quicksilver

Bench
nail, hit , head
Taking a kid from U18 through to first grade is all that matters.
Most NRL clubs are a blight on jnr's anyway as they are taking $millions out of LC profit that could be funding grass roots.

By LC are you referring to Leagues Club?

T-Boon

Coach
Didn't Moses play for Holy Cross and Carlingford making him a Balmain junior?

If we are going to define junior as someone bought at a young age and developed through the rep system then there are plenty of roosters juniors running around.

The fact that you have come up with 3 (we aren't counting Moses) genuine juniors in the Parra team is pretty telling given we have the same (Radley, Crighton and Lam). The difference being you guys have 30 junior clubs or there abouts and we have 4.

I have argued successfully elsewhere that we should get rid of Harold Matthews and SG ball (actually reduce them to a knock out comp or something) in favor of club and high school leagues.

Quicksilver

Bench
I have argued successfully elsewhere that we should get rid of Harold Matthews and SG ball (actually reduce them to a knock out comp or something) in favor of club and high school leagues.

yeah do that.

My high school couldn’t match the facilities of my local junior team, let alone an NRL club.

Personally, I’d rather learn Rugby League at an NRL club with top notch facilities and interact with actual top line players and coaches. I’m not sure the lunch-time coach/ full-time science teacher is all that well equipped for the job.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think he does. PR seems have issues with LCs giving its footy team money. Which is weird when you consider the footy team created the the LC in the first place as a money making entity to keep the footy club afloat.

thats was before clubs could generate $23mill plus a year in revenue. LC’s should no longer be needed to keep a professional sports club viable, and the ill gotten gambling profits they are making should at least be going to some sort of community Benefit via grass roots sport.

thats was before clubs could generate $23mill plus a year in revenue. LC’s should no longer be needed to keep a professional sports club viable, and the ill gotten gambling profits they are making should at least be going to some sort of community Benefit via grass roots sport.

Not a fan of pokies but money made does go back into the community and grassroots. It’s part of their charter of operations. Most of it, including funding the senior footy team is for tax reasons.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
Not a fan of pokies but money made does go back into the community and grassroots. It’s part of their charter of operations. Most of it, including funding the senior footy team is for tax reasons.

The pokies are shit. They mostly take money from the poor... the give it back to the poor (albeit, give a lot less because it has been taxed, and then there is red tape administering how and where it is distributed etc).

Quicksilver

Bench
Who cares?

It’s just extra money. If the footy club breaks even or makes a profit in its own right, then the leagues club money is just a bonus.

I’d rather my club be owned by a community Leagues Club than some self-centred ego driven millionaire.

Quicksilver

Bench
The pokies are shit. They mostly take money from the poor... the give it back to the poor (albeit, give a lot less because it has been taxed, and then there is red tape administering how and where it is distributed etc).

the pokies are a get rich quick scheme. Financial education is the only answer to dumb financial decisions. That’s the job of schools.

The pokies are garbage (I wish they stayed out of pubs) but for all the carnage and social destruction they cause, you could argue alcohol is doing the same thing but on a much grander scale. Yet clubs aren’t criticised for taking those dollars? Governments have social responsibilities too and while they’re addicted to gambling/alcohol revenues, clubs should be free turn a profit too. At least we know they’re giving back to the community.

T-Boon

Coach
yeah do that.

My high school couldn’t match the facilities of my local junior team, let alone an NRL club.

Personally, I’d rather learn Rugby League at an NRL club with top notch facilities and interact with actual top line players and coaches. I’m not sure the lunch-time coach/ full-time science teacher is all that well equipped for the job.

it’s not a sport Just for the elite players though it’s a sport for everyone right? The NRL clubs only give a damn about the elite players.

Quicksilver

Bench
it’s not a sport Just for the elite players though it’s a sport for everyone right? The NRL clubs only give a damn about the elite players.

That’s what junior league competitions are for. They already exist. And they get assistance from NRL teams and Leagues Clubs.

T-Boon

Coach
That’s what junior league competitions are for. They already exist. And they get assistance from NRL teams and Leagues Clubs.

They aren't doing a good job - nobody supports local club team unless their kid plays for it. It would be better to get school competitions going as well as clubs so that the game can grow.

Quicksilver

Bench
They aren't doing a good job - nobody supports local club team unless their kid plays for it. It would be better to get school competitions going as well as clubs so that the game can grow.

heaps of people support local A Grade.

what kind of pedo would watch a school game that didn’t involve their kids? What happens to the kids when they become adults and want to keep playing? Why would you deconstruct an existing league?

T-Boon

Coach
heaps of people support local A Grade.

what kind of pedo would watch a school game that didn’t involve their kids? What happens to the kids when they become adults and want to keep playing? Why would you deconstruct an existing league?

Not talking about adults watching I am talking about kids taking an interest and wanting to play. No kid goes to play at a local club unless they already like NRL and want to play whereas a kid at a school with a good school team who doesn't already care about the game of RL will want to play because his school has a good team.
Look at the GPS rugby schools. Those school team players are the hero's of the school and nerds who would never watch Rugby end up having an interest in it and become fans because of their existence in the school community.
You can grow the game in schools. I don't think you can in clubs, they just cater to the already interested.

Perth Red

Post Whore

you’d be surprised at how little actually goes back to the community, especially when they are dishing out millions to nrl clubs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not talking about adults watching I am talking about kids taking an interest and wanting to play. No kid goes to play at a local club unless they already like NRL and want to play whereas a kid at a school with a good school team who doesn't already care about the game of RL will want to play because his school has a good team.
Look at the GPS rugby schools. Those school team players are the hero's of the school and nerds who would never watch Rugby end up having an interest in it and become fans because of their existence in the school community.
You can grow the game in schools. I don't think you can in clubs, they just cater to the already interested.

don’t you have a schools comp in Sydney? Even RL backwater Perth has a high school comp.