What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Shredder

Juniors
There looks to be bugger all in terms of forwards that would help us that are off contract this year unfortunately.

I think we should look at Sandor Earl and Tyrone Roberts on short contracts.

See if shaking up the backs helps a little.

Next year might look like this:
1 Talau
2 Earl
3 Doulei
4 BJ
5 Nofo
6 Walters
7 Roberts

Bigger centers and faster on the wings.

Im in the camp that thinks if Brooks hasnt made it now he never will.

Maybe see if we can get that old Dogs back rower that can kick to?

Tigerm

First Grade
There looks to be bugger all in terms of forwards that would help us that are off contract this year unfortunately.

1 Talau
2 Earl
3 Doulei
4 BJ
5 Nofo
6 Walters
7 Roberts

Yeah, I like the idea of Talau at FB, he certainly handled the bombs towards him quiet well. But desperately need some pace in the backs somewhere.

Tiger05

First Grade
Yeah, I like the idea of Talau at FB, he certainly handled the bombs towards him quiet well. But desperately need some pace in the backs somewhere.

I can't see Talau making it at fullback. He isn't quick or elusive. He is a big kid but I don't see him being on the wing long term. I reckon he has been pretty good and I thought he was the most overrated junior I've ever seen.

Doueihi to me has done a decent job for us. Sure he lacks pace and he has mad plenty of mistakes but he also plays tough every game. I suppose Talau and Doueihi are similar in that they appear fairly solid but they lack pace. I reckon Talau will have to move to the centres of the halves over time. Doueihi and Talau to me both look like running 6's ala Wighton.

Tiger05

First Grade

1 Talau
2 Earl
3 Doulei
4 BJ
5 Nofo
6 Walters
7 Roberts

I think that backline is pretty ordinary. Two big centres but it lacks pace. I think we need some kids coming through with express pace. We really need a player like Kotani Staggs. BJ is pretty good out wide and we've missed him but he is loose.

WA Tiger

Bench

1 Talau
2 Earl
3 Doulei
4 BJ
5 Nofo
6 Walters
7 Roberts

And yeup

magpie_man

Juniors
I'd be trying to bring Alex Johnston over to play at fullback next year:

1. AJ
2. Nofo
3. BJ
4. AD/Talau
5. Talau/Kepaoa

What is AD’s best position? I thought I read he was a 6.

He was brought on as a 6 at Souths but had utility roles.

There’s so many of them inspired by Billy, and GI but these are are rare footballers.

He offers more than Corey at fullback, but lacks power, skill, speed and finesse of an elite.

He’s a decent utility and a good fit for the squad, but no miracle.

I’m sorry we missed DWZ. He would have solved a lot of problems. I met him once, very humble and close up, he cuts a fine figure as a league player, solid ball of muscle.

I still want Green off the bench at the right price.

Choiboi

Juniors
DWZ has feet for hands. He is a great baller runner, but terrible hands and no passing game.

He's not even the bulldogs FB anymore.

magpie_man

Juniors

With the reemergence of the ball-playing Lock-forward, I'm wondering if he could be useful there.
His official profile has him at:
191cm & 95kgs

By comparison, Victor Radley is:
182 cm & 92kgs

Fordy20

Juniors
DWZ may not have worked for us, but I think it was a good call to chase him because he's a great ball runner. The feet for hands thing isn't great, cos you have to be able to catch a high ball, gather in low kicks and take passes. For a fullback though, people get too hung up on the ball playing. You need to be a good ball runner first and support through the middle. That's the big problem with Doueihi's game at the moment, he just doesn't trail off the hip of the ball carrier like the good fullbacks do.

gordsy

Juniors
With the reemergence of the ball-playing Lock-forward, I'm wondering if he could be useful there.
His official profile has him at:
191cm & 95kgs

By comparison, Victor Radley is:
182 cm & 92kgs

I doubt he is durable enough to play at lock. I also doubt we have the pack to have that happen.

St Patrick's College Strathfield 1st XV 2016 Flyhalf
2016 Australian National Schools Championship - NSW 1 - Flyhalf.
2016 West Tigers SG Ball 5/8 (Papenhuyzen, Suli & Seyfarth in same team)
2017 South Sydney NYC team 5/8

Billy Walters
2017 Queensland Residents 5/8
2017 Queensland Intrust Super Cup Five-Eight of the year.

Tommy Talau
2018 Bulldogs SG Ball grand final team 5/8
2018 Australian School boys team, couldn’t find much but 1st game on tour he was a reserve (Stephen Crichton Penrith - wing. Bradman Best Newcastle - centre. Zac Cini Tigers - Wing. Jock Madden Tigers 5/8 & Tom Dearden Donkeys at 7)

Reece Hoffman
2019 Queensland U 18’c - centre

interesting and such a shame that Intrust Cup did not go ahead this year.

super_coach

First Grade
Scary thing Penrith have more talent who can’t make their top 17 than we have in our club. Just shows how far we are off the pace. One can only hope a few of the next generation players we have invested in will kick on and more importantly stay at the club.Although without quality players around them it’s going to make their road a lot harder

Tigerm

First Grade
This info was from another site.

The case for a second team in Brisbane has been given added weight after NRL benchmarking revealed the Broncos continued to enjoy a significant financial advantage over their rivals that allowed them to channel record sums into their football department and playing talent.

The NRL briefed club bosses on their financial benchmarking at last week’s chief executives meeting and are expected to distribute their final analysis in coming weeks.

A draft document shared with the clubs — and obtained by The Australian — reaffirms Brisbane’s standing as the game’s eminent financial force, while at the same time revealing that half the game’s 16 clubs broke even or recorded a profit in 2018 without leagues club support.

The Broncos remain a financial juggernaut, leaving their rivals for dead when it comes to money generated from sponsorship and membership. That allows them to divert millions into their football department.

The fresh figures come at a time when talk of a second team is at the top of the agenda for the NRL and ARL Commission. A two-day retreat in Sydney next week involving commissioners and the NRL executive’s team is expected to discuss the future shape of the competition and crucially whether the game needs a second team in Brisbane.

The figures in the NRL’s latest reporting would suggest the money is there to back a second side. Certainly the Broncos show few signs of slowing down, their commercial growth having progressed substantially over the past three years.

Significantly, half the game’s 16 clubs turned a profit in 2018 without leagues club support thanks to the increase in the grant from the governing body, a flow-on effect of the fresh broadcasting deal.

Of those to turn a loss, Penrith and Canterbury weren’t helped by the financial impact of parting ways with their coaches, The Panthers sacked Anthony Griffin midway through 2018 while the Bulldogs settled a legal dispute with former coach Des Hasler during the season.

Regardless, the Panthers lost more than $8 million according to the NRL document, having spent large chunks of money on their junior development safe in the knowledge that their affluent leagues club could pick up the tab.

While the belief is that football department expenditure correlates to success on the field, that wasn’t necessarily the case. Brisbane, the Sydney Roosters, Penrith and Canberra all spent more than $20 million on football-related matters in 2018. Of those sides, only the Raiders missed the finals. Yet South Sydney and Cronulla were among the lowest spenders in 2018 and both finished in the top four, the seasons of the Rabbitohs and Sharks coming to an end in the preliminary final.

Brisbane and the Bulldogs led the way on player expenditure, outlaying $12 million on their talent. The Gold Coast Titans, in comparison, spent less than $10 million.

The Titans also spent significantly less on non-player expenditure in comparison to the Broncos and Roosters, much of that chewed up by coaching staffs.

While then-Broncos coach Wayne Bennett and Roosters mentor Trent Robinson are among the highest paid coaches in the game, the Titans were under the guidance of Garth Brennan in 2018. Brennan was among the lowest-paid coaches in the game.

The Rabbitohs were also among the clubs to turn a profit without leagues club support, finishing 2018 more than $1.5 million the black.

The Titans and Broncos did likewise — Brisbane recorded a profit of more than $2 million. Thanks to the new broadcasting deal and the increased grant from head office, half the clubs in the game were able to break even or better.

Penrith were at the other end of the spectrum, their dire financial return along with that of the Bulldogs highlighting the cost of sacking coaches.

Once leagues clubs and third party contributions were factored in, only four clubs finished in the red — Canterbury, Manly Cronulla and the Panthers.

Das Hassler

Bench
Apparently Pascoe has met with Madge to address destabalising rumours being spread by a player agent linking him with the cows job....that'd just be too funny

“We need a big body in the middle of the park and I reckon we’re short a strike centre,” he said. “We’re very skilful, we need some good leaders, some strong voices that can bring those guys who are the level below that up and push the group.”
This is not Madge speaking, it was a quote from Todd Payten discussing the Warriors, after he had knocked back the Warriors job.
https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/w...y/news-story/8a4bf3f6280fe495e470f0f0e0d712ce

Could have been Madge/West Tigers 100%

Note, this has not been posted here as a follow up to previous post re Madge to Cowboys.

gordynz

Juniors
Alex Johnston would be a great buy for us. Very safe but also has plenty of pace which we desperately need.

Other than that I'm unsure any other acquisitions are really going to make a huge difference. This young playing group just needs a bit of time and if anything maybe signing an experienced forward for a couple years to mould these kids could be beneficial.

Tigerm

First Grade
Apparently Pascoe has met with Madge to address destabalising rumours being spread by a player agent linking him with the cows job....that'd just be too funny
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/7055f27a6ac574e58fcfbcd8bd2c520a
“From our discussions with Michael, he has assured us that he won’t be tendering any offers or expressions of interest from other clubs during the course of his tenure with the Wests Tigers.

But I wonder if he will sign an extension?
Not sure I'd be too disappointed if he didn't. I wouldn't be unhappy if he stayed, we do need a long-term coach to steer us through.

Latest posts