What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

qld redvee

Juniors
When he says Rava was past fit, I wander at whose insistence
saints forever, the usual from supercoach playing busted players .. what about his statement - we knew johnston would be looking for intercepts and we trained that way all week ... If thats the case why didnt we train attacking the other wing to nullify johnston that would be what a good coach would do !! And doesnt he love to throw a 'classy " remark in to try and show how good he is - last night it was
we know what to do BUT we are not doing what we know... -... and the constant we have to be better longer and play the game the right way and we win comfortably -- How come he cant get the message across when this happens ??? thats right its everyones fault to share ...
And why play vaughan for 40 minutes straight ??
I dont know why i am raving its not like we havent heard it all before have a good weekend guys

Gareth67

First Grade
Why is this a Nightmare, Daymare not over, did we abuse the 50s/60s?

No buddy , the reason is that the J,V. is run by a totally incompetent board who still live in the 50s/60s .

Until someone with plenty of clout and also one whom has a clear vision of success enters their domain we will continue to gurgle down the drain , where we will join the North Sydney Bears and the Newtown Bluebags where we shall remain and become the dregs of the past .

Last edited:

Warabrook saint

Juniors
No it’s not just you! This is his way of illustrating to the press gallery and fans that he (Mary) knew what happened in the match and it was certainly no surprise to him.... In fairness, it probably wasn’t a surprise but the club doesn’t pay him to tell the press and public what he knows. He gets paid to change behaviour and ensure that players know how to adapt when situations occur in games. This is what he has continually failed to deliver. His rational, denial, transferring onto others and the general language he uses is actually more entertaining than any game plan he has constructed over seven years!
Very true

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Finally forced myself to watch the presser from Thursday night. I'm no body language expert, but arms folded throughout the 6 mins (occasionallyy rubbing his face) showed me a person thats resigned to his fate. Maybe what @The calm one said earlier about making or not making the 8 has come to the fore.

Round 12 presser
https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/07/31/press-conference-round-12-v-rabbitohs/

Round 11 presser
https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/07/25/dragons-press-conference-round-11/

Note also the difference in voice and tone.

Also found this very interesting:
https://www.psychmechanics.com/body-language-crossing-arms/

Warabrook saint

Juniors
Finally forced myself to watch the presser from Thursday night. I'm no body language expert, but arms folded throughout the 6 mins (occasionallyy rubbing his face) showed me a person thats resigned to his fate. Maybe what @The calm one said earlier about making or not making the 8 has come to the fore.

Round 12 presser
https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/07/31/press-conference-round-12-v-rabbitohs/

Round 11 presser
https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/07/25/dragons-press-conference-round-11/

Note also the difference in voice and tone.

Also found this very interesting:
https://www.psychmechanics.com/body-language-crossing-arms/
I hope you're so right

No it’s not just you! This is his way of illustrating to the press gallery and fans that he (Mary) knew what happened in the match and it was certainly no surprise to him.... In fairness, it probably wasn’t a surprise but the club doesn’t pay him to tell the press and public what he knows. He gets paid to change behaviour and ensure that players know how to adapt when situations occur in games. This is what he has continually failed to deliver. His rational, denial, transferring onto others and the general language he uses is actually more entertaining than any game plan he has constructed over seven years!
I find it interesting that he has now adopted the red faced, Bellamy rant at half time and in the coach's box.
All for the sake of the cameras and to show us how frustrated he is that his iron clad game plan is not being followed by his misfiring troops.
Nauseating...

getsmarty

Immortal

The Paul McGregor smoke and mirrors show

The Thursday night game against the Rabbitohs was just an extension of the Paul McGregor travelling magic show, which the St George Illawarra Dragons have been putting on over the past eight weeks.

The first two games back from the lockdown saw the Dragons almost held scoreless, while the Warriors and the Bulldogs put on 18 and 22 points respectively. That left the Red V winless after the first four rounds.

Not surprisingly, there were lots of calls for McGregor to resign, but equally unsurprisingly, the same Dragons board that inexplicably extended Mary’s contract in 2019 decided he should stay, for reasons only known to themselves.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Email
The next eight rounds have seen the Dragons win four games: one against the Sharks (with plenty of Dragons fans arguing it should have been two wins), another against the Sea Eagles, who were massively down on troops, a further win against the Titans and a “Hand of God” win against the Bulldogs (I can see Marcelo Montoya dropping that pass – still feel for him).

Along the way, we’ve been treated to some great attacking football, with Matt Dufty in career-best form, Adam Clune doing some very good things at halfback, Ben Hunt coming back into some pretty fair form and Zac Lomax showing why he could be a world-class centre.

All of these positives are hiding a simple truth. The Dragons have won four games this season, sit on eight competition points and have no chance of making the finals unless a major miracle occurs.

More to the point, since the start of the 2019 season, the Dragons have played 36 NRL games and won 12. That’s a 33 per cent win rate.

paul-mcgregor-disappointed-755x515.jpg

(Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)

Sure, the side has scored some terrific tries, but it’s still lost games. Yes, the efforts against the Panthers, Roosters and Raiders were gutsy, but the team still lost.

It’s very easy to buy into the notion that the side’s improving when it strings a couple of wins together, but this a distraction from reality. That is, the team is losing far more games than it wins.

And all the while, the coach who is not guiding the team to victories, but to eight losses this season, keeps his job and the criticism that should be directed his way has largely fallen silent, mostly because there are other high profile teams who are playing worse than the Dragons.

There are eight rounds to play in the 2020 season and the Dragons have a realistic chance to win exactly three games against the Cowboys, Titans and Broncos.

The other games against the Roosters, Eels, Raiders, Knights and Storm will hopefully be played with the same newfound flair that we’ve seen recently, but the results will be the same: losses. They might be gutsy losses, or hard fought losses, but they will still register zero competition points.

When the dust has settled on season 2020, I’m guessing the Dragons will end up on 14 competition points, which should be good enough for 11th or 12th. Many will think this is a great result given where the Red V finished last year and especially if the side continues to play an exciting brand of attacking footy.

The reality will be a team of enormous talent, in two seasons, has won 15 games out of 44.

This should be considered a disgraceful outcome, but will that result in the coach losing his job? Probably not, because McGregor the Magician will no doubt have more smoke to blow to cover up for his and the squad’s failings.

And thanks to the magic of his contract extension, Dragons fans can look forward to more of the same in season 2021.

Roar Rookie
August 1st 2020 @ 10:36am
The Dragons will have to go through some pain before things get better.

Mary isn’t the man and I don’t think that Flanagan’s doubtful past qualify him to build a strong team. Hard to have a “no dickheads” policy with Flanagan in charge.

In terms of their playing roster there are a lot of guys just going through the motions.

1. Vaughan’s numbers look okay on paper but he doesn’t dominate the opposition in defence and often takes the easier hit ups late in the count.
2. Tariq Sims is a shadow of his former self – perhaps he’s injured.
3. Frizell is predictable in attack and doesn’t have the impact that got him into the rep teams.
4. Kerr, Host, Lawrie and Ford are good young forwards who haven’t yet fulfilled their potential.
5. There’s no point in keeping Norman – hard to see what he brings to the team.
6. The Dragons perform far better with Hunt at dummy half and that raises some questions about how to get the best out of McInnes.
7. Lomax and Dufty have improved greatly on last year and hopefully will be there for some time.
8. Aitken tries hard but doesn’t really possess the ski;;s required to be a top flight centre and is probably too small for the forwards.
9. Pereira and Ravalawa are run of the mill and neither have enough pace in may opinion.

It will be interesting to see how the Dragons recruitment and retention unfolds over the next six months.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/08/01/the-paul-mcgregor-smoke-and-mirrors-show/

P.S Thankyou @Smurf

Nanadragon

Juniors
How long do us Dragons fans have to suffer this torture of a clueless coach.
He has stolen my last 6 winters as rugby league is the only sport I follow. I lose interest in the comp if St. George arent at least competitive each week.
I stopped paying my membership back in 2014 when they allowed Brett Morris to leave and don't intend to pay them any more money until McFlop is gone.

It’s been one massive public relations snow job since last year, with the ultimate insult arriving in early June when Andrew started talking about Sgi being a loyal club.

That they believe that’s an adequate or appropriate reason to extend the tenure of the second worst coach in nrl history defies belief.

They seriously thought people would like and respect this cheap and rancid statement of betrayal to fans and members. They are fools.

I am also amazed that board members aren’t worrying about their future and resigning en masse.

That they think they are helping the club now displays arrogance and self aggrandisement beyond comprehension.

Mary is a symbol of their self importance, lording it over the paid servants and the well meaning but mostly ignorant.

You get a fireman to put out a fire, you blokes need a board to manage your club.

Join the leagues club, vote at the elections when you can, get rid of these flogs.

This board have only just started to screw your club.

Even once McVirus is gone, the next horrific chapter commences under these morons. Another coach but the corporate psycho babble and stubbornness will remain unimpeded.

Your kids may never see a finals series.

How long can you put up with it? I mean you can’t support another side, but at what point does the support become too sad and depressing to tolerate?

Its a 33% win ratio and Mary looks as relaxed and “uncomfortable” as ever. That’s the board talking down to you.

Last edited:

Warabrook saint

Juniors
It’s been one massive public relations snow job since last year, with the ultimate insult arriving in early June when Andrew started talking about Sgi being a loyal club.

That they believe that’s an adequate or appropriate reason to extend the tenure of the second worst coach in nrl history defies belief.

They seriously thought people would like and respect this cheap and rancid statement of betrayal to fans and members. They are fools.

I am also amazed that board members aren’t worrying about their future and resigning en masse.

That they think they are helping the club now displays arrogance and self aggrandisement beyond comprehension.

Mary is a symbol of their self importance, lording it over the paid servants and the well meaning but mostly ignorant.

You get a fireman to put out a fire, you blokes need a board to manage your club.

Join the leagues club, vote at the elections when you can, get rid of these flogs.

This board have only just started to screw your club.

Even once McVirus is gone, the next horrific chapter commences under these morons.

Your kids may never see a finals series.

How long can you put up with it?
The only time we've had relief was when Wayne Bennett told them he was doing it the way he wanted for 3 years. As soon as he left the incompetence set in again, and the results are there for all to see. And they got mary back to wreck the place, after Bennett punted him when he took over, and we're subjected to his nonsensical dribble for so many years, not to mention his horrendous so called coaching

Last edited:

Coffs dragon

Bench
Another wasted year in 2020 during the abysmal reign of Paul the Peanut. I really can’t see too many more wins this season and based on last nights performance, I’m tipping the Broncos forwards will steamroll thru our pack and notch a victory.

Our useless friggin board will instigate another end of season review and should use Hans Christian Anderson ( as he writes Fairy Tales ) to follow Gus Gould’s claytons review last year.
It’ll be more excuses, deflections and staff changes to support and surround the same Peanut imbecile, purely to save face & a buck$.
I’m so jealous of the Cowboys, Warriors & Bulldogs for having the balls and fortitude to replace their coaches for non performance.

The only time we've had relief was when Wayne Bennett told them he was doing it the way he wanted for 3 years. As soon as he left the incompetence set in again, and the results are there for all to see. And they got mary back to wreck the place, after Bennett punted him when he took over, and we're subjected to his nonsensical dialogue for so many years, not to mention his horrendous so called coaching

In which case, the best choice would be a harsh dictator like Madge.

We’ve both lost this weekend but the difference is we are angry at our players for letting our coach down and you are angry at your coach for letting your players down.

Otherwise, us fans are not happy.

The last proper kerfuffle Madge had with our board was about Latrell and the board have since learned to get out of his effing way.

But you need a ball breaker. No resting Hunt because of his sadness and disappointment at losing Origin before your most important, all or nothing, season on the line, game of the decade just about.

Give us a break!

Hunt wants to feel sorry for himself on $1.2m a year and with his good health.

He’d be one of the luckiest people alive walking planet earth.

But that didn’t stop Mary from insisting he crash out for the week to cry into his silk sheets.

$800k a year to bust an idiot decision like this.

Even with no known brain or whatever, a sea sponge would have played Hunt.

Last edited:
Another wasted year in 2020 during the abysmal reign of Paul the Peanut. I really can’t see too many more wins this season and based on last nights performance, I’m tipping the Broncos forwards will steamroll thru our pack and notch a victory.

Our useless friggin board will instigate another end of season review and should use Hans Christian Anderson ( as he writes Fairy Tales ) to follow Gus Gould’s claytons review last year.
It’ll be more excuses, deflections and staff changes to support and surround the same Peanut imbecile, purely to save face & a buck$.
I’m so jealous of the Cowboys, Warriors & Bulldogs for having the balls and fortitude to replace their coaches for non performance.

Pay quit the dogs because they told him he’d be carrying the water in 2021. Fair enough.

But not Mary, he will coach on until the last miserable mili second. A vulture picking off the last bits of the dragon and following the last chomp, tell the world its a better dragon for his services.

He’s got his stupid business, he’s a millionaire many times over, he should just piss off.

Latest posts