What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team list thread - vs Dogs Rnd 12

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Mind you, they have kept their origin half. Similarly, both Melbourne and the Roosters, who are the benchmark of the comp, have $1mill + players on their roster. If you take them as an example, it could be argued you need at least one superstar to be consistently competing for a premiership.
Yeah I'm sure. But don't forget Penrith let their best half go. Cleary was in the Origin team for his kicking and defence.

As for Parra, I'm certain Drown will be a better player than Moses. It's just a question of when.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Yeah I'm sure. But don't forget Penrith let their best half go. Cleary was in the Origin team for his kicking and defence.

As for Parra, I'm certain Drown will be a better player than Moses. It's just a question of when.
I’m not. Moses is in the top 3 halves in the comp and personally, I’d have him at number 2 behind Keary (he’s better than DCE IMO). Drown has an enormous amount of development to get to this level of footy. He may get there one day but I’d say the odds are 50/50 at best. I’d rather plan Long term around someone we know is elite, rather than pin our hopes on a 20 year old who has shown promise but is far from the finished product.

The other thing is, if he does reach moses’ level of ability he’ll cost just as much. He might even demand more based on the last round of negotiations.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I’m not. Moses is in the top 3 halves in the comp and personally, I’d have him at number 2 behind Keary (he’s better than DCE IMO). Drown has an enormous amount of development to get to this level of footy. He may get there one day but I’d say the odds are 50/50 at best. I’d rather plan Long term around someone we know is elite, rather than pin our hopes on a 20 year old who has shown promise but is far from the finished product.
I think Moses is overrated. Shaun Johnson and DCE are the best, IMO, followed by Keary. But Moses and Keary benefit from playing in quality teams, so they look better than they are. In Moses' case he looks a lot better. He is under very little pressure in our team. A lot of the time all he does is kick. I think if he was picked in Origin he would be exposed like a so-and-so. Which is not to say he's not a good player and essential member of our team. We miss his kicking game when he's out, and his defence has become quite solid. I just don't think he's elite.
The other thing is, if he does reach moses’ level of ability he’ll cost just as much. He might even demand more based on the last round of negotiations.
Drown is contracted to our club for the next three years. Moses can leave at the end of next year if his player option isn't as good as any external offers he receives from November.

Happy MEel

First Grade
I think Moses is overrated. Shaun Johnson and DCE are the best, IMO, followed by Keary. But Moses and Keary benefit from playing in quality teams, so they look better than they are. In Moses' case he looks a lot better. He is under very little pressure in our team. A lot of the time all he does is kick. I think if he was picked in Origin he would be exposed like a so-and-so. Which is not to say he's not a good player and essential member of our team. We miss his kicking game when he's out, and his defence has become quite solid. I just don't think he's elite.
Drown is contracted to our club for the next three years. Moses can leave at the end of next year if his player option isn't as good as any external offers he receives from November.
Shaun Johnson??? You’re taking the piss. That muppet turns up a quarter of a season. I wouldn’t want that pea heart anywhere near our club. DCE is a calmer influence but Moses is the better attacker and I’d say better defender these days.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Ive been thinking for a couple of weeks that someone has hacked your account. Some comments are very un Poo but this takes the cake. Who the fu*k are you and what have you done with our Poo?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Ive been thinking for a couple of weeks that someone has hacked your account. Some comments are very un Poo but this takes the cake. Who the fu*k are you and what have you done with our Poo?
If people were putting shit on Moses I'd be extolling his virtues. But he's gone from underrated to overrated in the space of three seasons.

Tooooks

Bench
If people were putting shit on Moses I'd be extolling his virtues. But he's gone from underrated to overrated in the space of three seasons.

Overrated is a pretty meaningless term in this context. Overrated by whom? Which non-Parra fans overrate him.

eels_fan

First Grade
It's more the media and Eels fans who are overrating him.

dominant halfback last year, best player in the 9s World Cup, and playing good football this year prior to injury.

Not sure how you can consider him overrated.

I’m not saying he’s the best half in the comp, but I wouldn’t swap him for another, he suits our style and our team.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
dominant halfback last year, best player in the 9s World Cup, and playing good football this year prior to injury.

Not sure how you can consider him overrated.
Because merkins are (were) talking him up for Origin, and I don't think he's in that class.
I’m not saying he’s the best half in the comp, but I wouldn’t swap him for another, he suits our style and our team.
Agreed. We definitely need his kicking game, and if we can get him some space he's a very dangerous runner, as he showed in the Nines.

Bandwagon

Staff member
I don't see Moses as over rated at all, He lacks a little composure, otherwise on skill he is in the top three halves, running, kicking, passing, defence, I don't see another half who tops him in all those aspects, but game management and the kind of calm confidence we saw from say Cleary last night is where he fallsdown the list.

Hopefully that will still come as he matures more, Tbh he still comes across as a bit of an excited kid in the way he conducts himself.