What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

handyman2190

Bench
He started this season well before returning to the UK during the pandemic pause.

If Roberts and Burns were available then he'd be a waste of time but he's better than Jaxson Paulo currently is. If Souths believe they can play finals this season, he's a signing that will strengthen their chances for success in 2020. I saw a lot of him when i was in Leeds and the guy can play. Then in 2021 he returns to Toronto like SBW and any other WolfPack players that sign in the NRL short term for 2020.
There's very little to lose.
He said he was homesick, etc etc now that ex cronulla centre may be ok

Travitoh

First Grade
Just watching canberra qld game and had a thought,what about curtis scott,i heard he wants back to sydney, could be him

Good player but i don't feel his form since leaving Melbourne would justify his asking price. Plus Canberra have already lost Cotric to Canterbury, i doubt they'll let Scott go before getting a replacement in.

handyman2190

Bench
Good player but i don't feel his form since leaving Melbourne would justify his asking price. Plus Canberra have already lost Cotric to Canterbury, i doubt they'll let Scott go before getting a replacement in.
Apparently he wants out of canberra, talk of bulldogs interest, stuarts not happy with him.

callmack1

Staff member
From the Daily Telegraph,

Alex Johnston contract: Growing partnership with Latrell Mitchell could keep flyer at Rabbitohs

He’s back in the headlines after another try-scoring spree, and South Sydney speedster Alex Johnston has oppositio sides jostling for his signature. But a key factor may see him remain at South Sydney.

Alex Johnston’s developing on-field chemistry with Latrell Mitchell could be the key to keeping him at South Sydney next year.

It comes as Johnston’s management revealed “there has been plenty of interest” coming from rival NRL clubs for the off contract flyer.

But while Johnston is already being chased by up to four rivals club, News Corp can reveal that Wayne Bennett is now even more determined to try to find a way to make the salary cap fit so he can keep the much-loved local junior.

Bennett is absolutely loving the way Johnston and Mitchell are combining the more games they play together.

And it was well and truly on show in the 32-24 comeback win over St George Illawarra.

Not only did Johnston finish with a hat-trick of tries that included two run away intercepts, but some of the plays he and Mitchell combined for were just magical to watch.

The issue for Souths now is that after telling Johnston recently that he would need to find a new home, rival clubs are now showing increasing interest.

Johnston’s agent Steve Gillis seemed extremely confident whichever way it goes Johnston would have a choice who he runs out for in 2021.

“He is not going to have any trouble finding a home and we are working through the process,” Gillis said.

“There has been plenty of interest in him.”

Johnston makes no apologies for feeling hurt that the Rabbitohs made the call they did, but he now seems to have accepted that his future could be elsewhere.

“I’m a local junior and I’ve always maintained that I always wanted to stay at Souths,” Johnston told Channel 9 immediately following the win over the Dragons.

“But at the moment it’s not looking likely.

“I think there’s a lot of salary cap issues there.

“Hopefully tonight I put my best foot forward and some clubs get some offers through.”

Bennett said after the game that making the salary cap fit was the problem but he privately hopes Souths can come up with a solution.

The issue might be that the Rabbitohs may struggle to match what some rival clubs may be willing to offer.

Meanwhile, Johnston’s three tries against the Dragons pushed his career tally to 93 tries from just 134 games.

Johnston has set himself the challenge of trying to clock up 100 tries for the Rabbitohs before the end of the season so if he is forced to leave he goes out with a personal milestone.

It could see him overtake the legendary Bob McCarthy at fifth on Souths’ all-time tryscoring list. McCarthy scored 100 tries in 221 games. Nathan Merritt leads the way for Souths with 146 tries from 218 games.

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs extend contract of Campbell Graham until end of Season 2024: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...-of-campbell-graham-until-end-of-season-2024/

Absolutely fantastic news coming out of the club today!! Campbell is Souths through and through, and is developinging into a superstar. Have been very impressed with him this year. Hopefully he can continue to develop and this could see him push for Origin in the coming years.

Fantastic news! Well done Souths!

callmack1

Staff member
For and Against - Should the Bunker rule on forward passes?: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/04/for-and-against-should-the-bunker-rule-on-forward-passes/

From Fox Sports,

‘SPOOKED’ SUAALII SHYING AWAY FROM SIGNING WITH SOUTHS

While teen sensation Joseph Suaalii has been all the rage in recent weeks, the most important talks - that over his contract - have temporarily come to a halt. Suaalii is expected to sign on with the Rabbitohs but Rugby Australia officials are still somewhat hopeful they can convince him to change his mind. That is only buoyed by the fact Suaalii is yet to make a final decision, with the Sydney Morning Herald reporting he has been put off by his constant presence in the media cycle. “He was spooked by the amount of media attention,” Suaalii’s advisor Steve Nasteski told the Herald. “He needs some time to think about it now. When he’s ready he will make that decision but right now, he hasn’t made that decision.” At just 17 years old, Suaalii has plenty of time ahead of him but with two different codes vying for his signature it is a big opportunity he needs to grab with both hands. For the time being though, he is taking as much time as he can to weigh up the options and remain out of the spotlight before making a final call.

Latrell pleads guilty to firearms charge following infamous camping trip: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/24c6c98a0ffa73020df039d486319ca2

Paul Gallen urges NRL stars to prepare for crowdless State of Origin amid fears of rising COVID-19 numbers: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/crowds...19-spike/5e7eaf72-44a6-47f7-b855-bac00683e4e0

CAFPOW

Juniors
FROM FOX SPORTS:
Looks like he’s on a film set’: Reynolds targeted in English great’s brutal NRL halves spray

Great Brittain legend Garry Schofield has launched a brutal attack on NRL halves, taking a particular aim at Adam Reynolds.

English rugby league legend Garry Schofield has given the NRL’s halves an almighty spray and taken a particular aim at South Sydney’s Adam Reynolds, likening him to Hollywood actor Burt Reynolds saying “he looks like he’s on a film set.”

Schofield, a utility player who won the Golden Boot in 1990 and Man of Steel award in 1991, starred in the Super League during the 80s and 90s and also had two stints in Australia with Balmain and Western Suburbs during his 16-year career.

The Great Brittain international wrote in a column that “rugby league fans are being served half-measures when it comes to stand-offs and scrum-halves these days.”

He paid homage to the great halves of the past including Canterbury duo Terry Lamb and Steve Mortimer, Parramatta pairing Brett Kenny and Peter Sterling, Wally Lewis, Brad Fittler and Alfie Langer.

And also credited more recent players like Cooper Cronk and Johnathan Thurston.

But he boldly declared that none of the game’s current halves compete with the greats he named.

“I don’t think many of the current crop are up there with the string of sixes and sevens coming off the production line between the sixties and the nineties,” Schofield said.

“These days, Canberra’s Jack Wighton, the Roosters’ Luke Keary, Manly’s Daly Cherry-Evans and Melbourne’s Cameron Munster have all played for Australia.

“You also hear rave reviews for the likes of Kyle Flanagan at the Roosters, Nathan Cleary at Penrith and Mitchell Pearce at Newcastle.

“But to me, none of them are a patch on the players I’ve mentioned previously.”

Schofield didn’t hold back when it came to Rabbitohs No.7 Reynolds.

“I chuckle to myself when I watch Souths captain Adam Reynolds, who has played Origin for New South Wales,” he said.

“I think of him as Burt Reynolds, because for much of the time, he looks like he’s on a film set, standing around, waiting to get the director’s call to do something.”

Adam Reynold’s manager, Steve Gillis, didn’t buy into the comments and instead gave a cheeky response.

“Adam has told me he’s interested in going into movies once his career concludes but in the meantime he is happy holding up his gloves in the world’s premier rugby league competition on a weekly basis.

“He is highly regarded and is a premiership-winning player and captain of a foundation club.

“He is a prolific pointscorer and has been brave enough to step into the Origin arena and handle himself with aplomb.”

While South Sydney CEO Blake Solly gave them even less time.

“Garry loves to make controversial statements about current players. This looks like another one of those.”

For what it’s worth, Burt Reynolds was a Rabbitohs fan through his friendship with club owner Russell Crowe.

Crowe barely batted an eyelid at the comments: “It’s a pointless opinion not worth commenting on.”

Schofield’s issue with the current halves is that they “seem worried about taking responsibility” and stick to the safer options.

“The modern half seems mainly to kick near the end of the set rather than backing himself to run at the opposition or do something special with the ball in hand.”

He’s particularly fond of Lewis’ playing style and doubts fans will ever see player like him again.

“I think back to Wally Lewis and his ferocious defence, amazing vision, relentless running and those Exocet passes he delivered,”

“I’d like to think we’ll see another at his level, but I’m not sure we will.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/nrl...-teen-stars-to-nrl-deals-20200804-p55iji.html

South Sydney have ramped up their pursuit of teen talent, signing two standout 17-year-olds to three-year NRL contracts before rugby union could get under their guard.

While the Rabbitohs wait for young gun Joseph Suaalii to formally commit, the club has signed Terrell Kalokalo and Davvy Moale on deals that will result in them earning $200,000 each in the third and final year of their deals. Kalokalo and Moale played alongside Suaalii at SG Ball level and are considered among the best of the bunch at their age level.

All three attend elite schools, where they also excel in rugby union, and attracted interest from the 15-man game. Kalokalo, currently at Scots College, is an outside back who has been likened to Parramatta centre Michael Jennings. Several good judges felt he was almost as good as Suaalii as they came through the grades and the Roosters attempted to sign him several years ago. The Harold Matthews team-of-the-year representative attended an elite rugby camp on the Gold Coast last year, but chose to remain loyal to the ‘Pride of the League’.

Moale is a promising prop who has been compared to Payne Haas. Capable of playing 80 minutes, the Waverley College student has also made all the representative teams as he climbed through the grades.

Their contracts ensure they have a top-30 spot set aside and allow them to train with the NRL team over the summer.

Souths officials are also keen to tie down two other promising teens in their system who are yet to commit long term. Half Emmanuel Di Bartolo and outside back Luca Ace-Nasteski, both 17, are signing priorities at Redfern. Ace-Nasteski is the son of art dealer Steve Nasteski, who is advising Suaalii as he mulls over whether to commit to league or union.

At 202 centimetres, Ace-Nasteski could be one of the tallest players in the NRL should he make the grade. However, he is also an outstanding basketballer and has attracted interest from American colleges.

Under NRL rules, players are prohibited from making their first-grade debut until they are 18. However, ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys has indicated the age limit could be relaxed to ensure Suaalii isn’t lost to league.

Any change could also benefit Kalokalo, Moale, Ace-Nasteski and Di Bartolo, although the quartet's focus is likely to be on finishing school - they will be in year 12 next year - before turning their attention to potential NRL debuts.

Suaalii only turned 17 on August 1 and there was an expectation he could sign with Souths that day. However, the club has given him space to make a decision.

The Rabbitohs' pursuit of teen talent will raise more questions about the appropriateness of signing players at such a young age, given the pressure and expectation that comes with rich contracts while still in their teens.

callmack1

Staff member
FROM FOX SPORTS:
Looks like he’s on a film set’: Reynolds targeted in English great’s brutal NRL halves spray

Great Brittain legend Garry Schofield has launched a brutal attack on NRL halves, taking a particular aim at Adam Reynolds.

English rugby league legend Garry Schofield has given the NRL’s halves an almighty spray and taken a particular aim at South Sydney’s Adam Reynolds, likening him to Hollywood actor Burt Reynolds saying “he looks like he’s on a film set.”

Schofield, a utility player who won the Golden Boot in 1990 and Man of Steel award in 1991, starred in the Super League during the 80s and 90s and also had two stints in Australia with Balmain and Western Suburbs during his 16-year career.

The Great Brittain international wrote in a column that “rugby league fans are being served half-measures when it comes to stand-offs and scrum-halves these days.”

He paid homage to the great halves of the past including Canterbury duo Terry Lamb and Steve Mortimer, Parramatta pairing Brett Kenny and Peter Sterling, Wally Lewis, Brad Fittler and Alfie Langer.

And also credited more recent players like Cooper Cronk and Johnathan Thurston.

But he boldly declared that none of the game’s current halves compete with the greats he named.

“I don’t think many of the current crop are up there with the string of sixes and sevens coming off the production line between the sixties and the nineties,” Schofield said.

“These days, Canberra’s Jack Wighton, the Roosters’ Luke Keary, Manly’s Daly Cherry-Evans and Melbourne’s Cameron Munster have all played for Australia.

“You also hear rave reviews for the likes of Kyle Flanagan at the Roosters, Nathan Cleary at Penrith and Mitchell Pearce at Newcastle.

“But to me, none of them are a patch on the players I’ve mentioned previously.”

Schofield didn’t hold back when it came to Rabbitohs No.7 Reynolds.

“I chuckle to myself when I watch Souths captain Adam Reynolds, who has played Origin for New South Wales,” he said.

“I think of him as Burt Reynolds, because for much of the time, he looks like he’s on a film set, standing around, waiting to get the director’s call to do something.”

Adam Reynold’s manager, Steve Gillis, didn’t buy into the comments and instead gave a cheeky response.

“Adam has told me he’s interested in going into movies once his career concludes but in the meantime he is happy holding up his gloves in the world’s premier rugby league competition on a weekly basis.

“He is highly regarded and is a premiership-winning player and captain of a foundation club.

“He is a prolific pointscorer and has been brave enough to step into the Origin arena and handle himself with aplomb.”

While South Sydney CEO Blake Solly gave them even less time.

“Garry loves to make controversial statements about current players. This looks like another one of those.”

For what it’s worth, Burt Reynolds was a Rabbitohs fan through his friendship with club owner Russell Crowe.

Crowe barely batted an eyelid at the comments: “It’s a pointless opinion not worth commenting on.”

Schofield’s issue with the current halves is that they “seem worried about taking responsibility” and stick to the safer options.

“The modern half seems mainly to kick near the end of the set rather than backing himself to run at the opposition or do something special with the ball in hand.”

He’s particularly fond of Lewis’ playing style and doubts fans will ever see player like him again.

“I think back to Wally Lewis and his ferocious defence, amazing vision, relentless running and those Exocet passes he delivered,”

“I’d like to think we’ll see another at his level, but I’m not sure we will.”
Don't read into those comments too much, Russell sums it up perfectly!

Rabbitohs sign two more promising teen talents as they wait for Suaalii’s decision: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/82480dd004b63691a3520bdda4a3ffea

Great to see us wrap up our young talent nice and early. Hopefully Suaalii follows.

Phil Gould says the NRL must consider delaying and shortening the 2021 Season: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/2021-n...il-gould/5b04449e-8ba0-4145-8595-31eab5c7cc0f

handyman2190

Bench
Latest rumour circulating pengai phoning clubs to see if there is any interest in signing him,even though he has until 22 at the horses, this is 1 i would gladly take, if he could curb himself and stay on the field he is the mongrel we need,i would break the bank.
Please wayne pinch him

NovoBunny94

Juniors
Latest rumour circulating pengai phoning clubs to see if there is any interest in signing him,even though he has until 22 at the horses, this is 1 i would gladly take, if he could curb himself and stay on the field he is the mongrel we need,i would break the bank.
Please wayne pinch him

Pangai would be exactly what we need. If he can contain his anger and use it better would be great for our club.
Appaerently he only rang the roosters because uncle Nick sold his broncos shares (appaerently)

Latest posts